Hattie will cross tomorrw....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2-1-06 Good morning: The picture of your daughter and Hattie was heartwarming and heartbreaking all at the same time. I think you made the right decision to tell her the truth. Having a fur-person in your life always comes with the knowledge that someday you will have to face that terrible moment when you must decide their fate. It's difficult to lose them, more difficult to know that it was by your choice. Your only consolation is that you know in your heart it was the right decision at the right time. I don't know that this will help much, but a vet once told me when we were having a beloved dog put down "Think of this as the last kind act you do for them." I've never forgotten it and I repeat it to myself everytime that heartwrenching moment comes. It does give me some comfort and perhaps it will you too. Shirlee

I saw the photo you posted after my earlier one......talk about a bitter-sweet moment!

I hope your daughter (and you!) are doing okay. I have an idea of the emotions you most be going through.

Blessings,

MA

Hattie was out on the grass, with a bucket of grain and apples and carrots
I am so glad you were able to provide this for Hattie, and that she was able/willing to eat all these treats!

Keeping you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers. Time does heal, but there will always be that missing "something".

Again, bless you for helping to ease her over the bridge. A true selfless act.

Best,

Liz R.

I keep thinking about you and your daughter - you did the right thing all the way around. Love the picture of your daughter and Hattie. So sad!!! I've been fortunate and have never had to make that kind of decision for one of my horses, but certainly did it many times when I was breeding Persians. My heart goes out to you.

Time will help - you have so many great memories I'm sure. I agree, that was the last act of kindness you could do for her.

Barbie

The hardest part now is that my daughter hasn't been to the barn, once since the morning she kissed her goodbye. I asked her last night if she wanted to come and she just shook her head. This is one of those kids that cries if I get dressed to fast and beat her to the barn. She gets mad if I do chores too fast, because she doesn't want to leave the barn. I hope this too, will pass. It must be terribly hard for her little heart - though she is very stoic and strong about it otherwise.

You know, we've lost 2 other horses - one when she was only 3 and one when she was 4 (she was right there when the vet put that one down because it was an emergency and we didn't have time to make arrangements). We've also lost a dog and a cat when she was 3 and 4. I know she didn't comprehend the others...she must have been too young, emotionally. Also, she wasn't as involved withthe horses then. It's very different this time.
default_sad.png

Well, I spoke too soon. My daughter came out a few minutes after me when I went out again this morning. I wanted to clean the paddock so I brought in all of the horses and put a Percheron in Hatties old stall - it was a funny surprise for my daughter to see her in there. The stall was packed with about 10 bags of shavings so the Percheron looked REALLY big in there...it made us both laugh and she went about helping with chores as usual.

We have so much to learn from children. I'm so proud of her!

Latest posts

Back