Hat for showmanship

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby

Reaction score
I'd like to pick up a silver/gray hat this year. Where do you buy your hats from? It's just showing locally but I want to look right. I don't want to pay 2-3 hundred, just nice enough for local shows.

Lee

If you have a Tractor Supply (TSC) store...you can try looking there...they usually have mens and womens western hats reasonable.

The next thing after you get the hat, Lee, is to figure out how to keep it on your head when the wind howls up here, LOL! I learned that lesson the hard way! LMBO

Jodi

I hate wearing any type of hat, but I've got to dress the part. :bgrin

I plan to wear black pants and a royal blue jacket with black lapel. Do I have to wear a black hat too? I thought the silver ones were in style now. What do you think?

Lee

The next thing after you get the hat, Lee, is to figure out how to keep it on your head when the wind howls up here, LOL! I learned that lesson the hard way! LMBO

Jodi

lol Im not the only one then! :bgrin

Oh nooo, you're not the only one! Picture this...first show ever, not taught how or what to do in showmanship class, walk in the ring, hat blows OFF my head, barrette falls half way down the back of my head, hair EVERYWHERE!! Oh yeah, but that's not enough, did I mention I did NOT know what I was doing and touched my filly to set her up....ahhhh the dangers of being 30 something when you go into a showring for the first time!!!
default_wacko.png
:

Lee, I think a silver hat will look nice.
default_yes.gif
:

Jodi

I picked this suggestion up from a CDE site.

Glue the pokey part of velcro on the inside front and back. Site said it was a fool proof way to keep your hat on.

In my OLD show days I alway stuffed the rim with extra cardboard to keep it tight, however after a long day of showing it caused big time headaches. I like this other idea better.

Good Luck and SMILE.

I don't know if Hemphills in Vassalboro still has hats, but I picked up mine there. It was 10$ and I spent 3$ on a little silver band so it wasn't so plain. I think Double G in Lebanon also has some. I'm cheap like that for the 10 x in my life I MIGHT wear it :bgrin

Stateline Tack has had some decent hats that weren't too bad in price. As far as color I have done Showmanship with quarter horses and minis and I think it looks much better when the hat matches the pants, especially with the jacket having black in it too. You will also need black gloves. It makes a better, more professional pic when everything ties in together.

Here's a tip to make the hat band match your outfit. If you can get the hat band it comes with off, go to WalMart or another craft store and get ribbon to match your outfit. Then cut it to the length you need for your hat and hot glue it BEFORE you put it on the hat. THen you can add sparkles, sequins, rinestones or whatnot to give it a shine. Its rather inexpensive and you always have a hat band that matches your outfit. I'll have close to 20 before show season starts this year.

Check some of the Western Horse magazines for showmanship attire ideas. As a rule, I try to match my hat to my pants (black pants/black hat, tan pants/tan hat). You can never go wrong with black.

If you go to a show,or know people who show,they'd probably sell you a extra hat pretty reasonably.You could try looking for stores going out of buisness,thats what I did for my boots and hat,I got a freat deal on them.For hats not falling off- I suggest getting one with the strap that goes under the chin.I need to get some tan/cream pants so I can use mine,I like it alot better than black.

Back