Has anyone had Lasik on their eyes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weebiscuit

Reaction score
I need bifocals but the only time I wear them is when I'm driving, reading, writing, or doing things when I need clear vision up close, because they are a pain to wear. I never wear my glasses outside because I'm always sweating from work and the sweat runs all over the lenses. So, every time I need to see up close when I'm outside (like trimming horses' faces or ears or a bajillion other things), I have to put on a pair of reading glasses. I just hate not being able to see up close!

I am considering Lasik, but it seems that what I've read about it, it's NOT going to correct your reading vision.. only distance vision. Anyone now if that's true? I wouldn't want to spend the money to get my distance vision corrected, but if I could ditch the reading glasses and read recipes and directions, and all that other stuff, I'd sure do it!

My brother in law had it four years ago. He just started borrowing my glasses when he needs to read something.lol He is glad he did it for the same reasons you are talking about.

Good Luck

I had it about 3 years ago...best thing I ever did, although it has caused my close up vision to deteriate quicker than had I not had it. I believe they can do one eye for close up and one for far away (monovision), together they compensate for each other and you have 20/20. I couldn't do that as I have to be 20/20 (or correctable) in each eye seperately for my medical clearance...when I retire I will have the monovision done. It is so nice to not wear glasses all the time...I had worn glasses since I was 10...I had dry eye syndrome so contacts were very uncomfortable for me, since the lasik it seems my dry eye syndrome has disappeared. To be able to swim, be active and not wear glasses is heaven.

I had it done in January, my distance vision is better than 20/20 in both eyes, however my reading vision has got worse, I now need reading glasess for smaller printed items. Love not wearing glasses to drive and being able to read road signs before I pass them. LOL! I love looking out and clearly seeing the horses grazing in the pasture. It is a bit frustrating having to grab a pair of glasses to read a recipe or I have noticed when trimming whiskers on horses I tend to miss a few which drives me nuts. So it has both its pros and cons. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Can't really help you out as I have never had it done, but I have talked with my eye doctor about it many times and hope to get it done in the future. I have been wearing glasses since I was 6. (I'm 17 now) Back in 09 I got contacts but I dream of the day I no longer need them
default_thumbup.gif
Though I can't have my surgery done till I am atleast 20 as your eyes still continue to grow then, who knew!

But if you decide to get it done I wish you the very best of luck!
default_smile.png

The only reason I wanted it done was to correct my reading vision, as it drives me nuts if I forget my glasses when I'm shopping and can't read labels, and at home it seems like I put those readers on constantly. My distance vision isn't the greatest, but I am not required to wear eye correction when I drive as of yet, so I don't want to spend the money getting that fixed. But I sure would like to get my reading vision fixed. This doesn't seem to be an option, though. Bummer.

Though I can't have my surgery done till I am atleast 20 as your eyes still continue to grow then, who knew!
I have wanted it done ever since I started high school too! My eye doctor has always said I had to be 25. I plan on getting it as a Graduation gift to myself! Because of course I will be able to afford it while I'm paying off my student loans right? LOL

I have never had lasik but have some friends how have and they've been very, very pleased.

It's probably hard to believe because I've only been 29 for about a 14yrs, however, I had cataracts. Probably related to some procedures I've had to done on my eyes. Well, now they have corrective lenses they can use, vs. just plain clear ones. So I had surgery on both my eyes about 8mos ago and had the corrective "Toric" lenses implanted. Now I only need glasses to read, not to see for distance. My vision had gotten so bad, I was really about to not be able to keep a driver's license!!! Now, it's 20/25 (or is that 25/20?) in one eye and 20/20 in the other without glasses!!! It was a huge improvement as soon as the bandages were off and it became even better within a month or so. I couldn't believe it when the bandages came off. I had not seen that well (even with glasses) in years. I couldn't get over all I could see that I hadn't seen in years... but that unfortunately included the realization that my house was not nearly as clean as I had thought when not able to see well!!! (of course, that was rectified!).

I'd encourage anyone who has the opportunity to have their sight fixed and no longer need glasses to go for it. I am so happy I did!!!

I just went with my son to a Lasik consult. Really interesting stuff. He did tell us that it works much better on people under the age of 30.

Most of the people I know over 30 have to still wear reading glasses but I guess its worth it to wake up and see.

He said you have to have a stable eye prescription for at least 2-3 years or they will not do it. My daughter is 26 and her eye script is still changing so not a candidate. She was sad.

I just cant even think of doing it but I totally get why someone would.

Latest posts

Back