Has anyone had a mare show being in heat, when she is in fact in foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyGoldenSunny

Reaction score
I have a mare that I think MIGHT be in foal, but early in the year she still showed light signs of coming in heat.

Anyone have mini mare that do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup
default_smile.png
they are strange.

So does this look like a developing udder??? She was with a young stud last summer. Never saw them breed and then he when to a new home shortly after. She came into heat a few times after he was gone. But I have not seen her be in heat lately. Well the other day I was scratching her ichy belly and noticed she is getting a bag! Not huge but defiantly different. What do yall think???

I'm sure I'm of no help here, but I just wanted to say that my mare's bag looks so similar to this, but I'm not 100% convinced my mare is pregnant either. Do you have other pics? Straight on from behind, in front and full profile at her level?

she sure looks a lot like mine from the back, just a bit of belly peeking out the sides! She is such a solid mare its hard to say, but she does look like she's trying to start bagging up. I have known mares (of the full size variety) that would tease a stallion all through pregnancy, they like to keep us guessing!

Yeah I guessing a lot of mares do that from what I have read.

Yes she is very solid! She is very much of the old style miniature, very "drafty" : D

She is my baby, I just love her

it is possible. Especially if shes a maiden. But its also possible she is cycling. They do get a little swollen during that time aswell.

She does not show any signs of cycling, as of now. I alway know when she is. My other two mares were both just in heat last week and she did not come in.

So you all think she is not looking to be I foal? If she is bred she would be about 8 months.

She has had one foal before, it's been two years ago.

On your other thread that has the pics of your girls, maybe some updated pics will help when you have a chance
default_smile.png

Hoping she is just one of those mares that does come into heat whilst pregnant
default_smile.png

Ok Ryan, I will start a new post tomorrow with all 3 mares to see what you all think. I will get pics of all of them, and info so it can be all together in one. : )

We had a mare that came into heat, we bred her for a April foal. Shr came back in in July, so bred her again. She stood and let the stallion breed her. The following April, I noticed she looked dropped. Checked her milk bar and she was getting a bag. She had a foal 25 days later. She took the first breeding.

Wow so I guess it does happen a lot. My mare has not come back in every month but has about 3 times since June when she was last with the stud.

If you go to your original post you can change the title ( I think lol ) add the pics to that thread then we will have all the pics from the start.
default_smile.png

Hope we see lots of changes over the next few months that determine she is in fact carrying a foal
default_smile.png

I have tried to change it, but come to find out we can no longer edit our title or anything we post after 10 mins now. New rules. Bummer for all of us here on the mare page cuz we need to change our title sometimes and keep our info going : /

You can read why this has happend on "the back porch" forum

Latest posts

Back