Has anyone ever tried...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humhill

Reaction score
Our mini donkey has the sniffles and I was trying to take her temp, just to be safe.

Well, after 5 minutes of shaking and cussing the glass thermometer, I started to wonder...

Can you use a digital human thermometer on horses? My parents have always (30 years) used a glass one and I was wondering if there was a purpose, or if it was just habit. I just can't read the things or get them to work.

Just wondering if anyone had tried the other kind and how it worked.

I have one and haven't tried it but saw our vet use one. So it looked like a good idea to me.

I have used one for years ( flexible tip). If in doubt I follow up with a glass one or use a second one as we have several on hand.

Yep after breaking my glass one I went to walmart and got the horses a spiderman digital, works great

and I don't have to worry about using it for me as I have no kids here. I even used it on my big horses and the mini's.

Don't think I will ever go back to glass I can't read them either.

Jan

I have several digital thermometers just for the horses (as if we'd want to use them after they have...).

I use one all the time. Works great. They are quick and made of mostly plastic, much better than glass. Don't need to buy a fancy brand. Cheap ones work well too.

We've used digital for years...our vet also does. I get the cheap ones at Walmart and keep several on hand plus one in the show tack box.

Charlotte

Always use the digitals - no glass to break, no mercury to read - and I have a "quick temp" that's much faster than the old ones. My vet uses them too.

Jan

We have used a digital one for years.Easy to read and see :new_shocked:
default_yes.gif
:

Digitals are great as I can read them without having my glasses on, just reading glasses so I always forget them when I'm out, digitals are the way to go!
default_yes.gif
:

I used a digital on a mare a couple of years ago who was colicing. Called the vet and reported that her temp was 95
default_wacko.png
: per the digital. My vet told me that digitals aren't always accurate and to use a glass one for an accurate reading. I loved the digital as I could read it and it beeped when ready, but have used a glass one ever since.

We use digital thermpmeters for the premature babies in our Neonatal intensive care unit. Should be fine for horses.

I have always used digital and have found mine to be as accurate as the glass one my vet uses.

Tammie~

I use the digital too, it is so much faster and easier to read ! I always take three different readings just to make sure it is correct.
default_yes.gif
:

Hello,

We too use flexible tip ones has work great for us.We have ones just for the horses. I use a marker to put horses on it, so we would know plus put it with the horse stuff.

melissa

Latest posts

Back