Has anyone else had a blind foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsnanny

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone else is raising or has raised a foal that was born blind. I know her particular developmental defect rarely results in a living foal with no other problems. I also know there are many who have horses who have gone blind after having had sight but was curious if there are others who are raising or who have raised foals who never have had sight and if so how have they done?It seems to me at least at this point that Helen is very like every other sighted foal and her learning curve is going along the same way too. I guess I just wondered how unusual she is.

We had a big horse colt born blind, but then he eventually did become sighted. He seemed normal in every other aspect. However, once he FINALLY was able to see (no explanation from my vet on that one), we had to go over the rules again, LOL. Once he was able to see us, he went through a kicking and biting phase, but we nipped that in the bud quickly and he went back to our super gentle little (big?) boy. His dam was a first time mother, and she was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! We kept Casey and Trouble in a small lot by themselves for awhile, and actually had to put little piles of hay all over the lot. Casey would not leave him for anything, and would just quietly stand wherever he decided to. When we would lead Casey somewhere, Trouble would make sure he was touching her at all times so he would know where she was. Casey was never bred again, so I don't know if it would have happened again.

Well I guess the non response answers my question. Either no one has ever had a foal like Helen or if they did they didnt raise it. I am so glad we are giving this girl a chance and yes I know there are already too many sighted minis around who need homes but Helen is my responsibility. I did breed her mother and just because it didnt turn out the way I was hoping, it almost did. Her color and conformation with exception of her eyes is great. She actually is exactly what we were hoping for only we would have preferred she could see. Not her fault. Well I guess thank you for your non response since it tells me we are doing something quite unusual.

I think a lot of people haven't responded because they are in bed. You'll probably get a lot of responses during the day. I'm not usually on at this time of day but got held over at work. I'm just glad there's something new for me to read.. I think you are doing a great job with little Helen and that she was born into the best family possible. Bless you and Helen.

Ginny

We had a filly born blind. No good explanation other than she was truely overdue (I believe she was born at 367 days). She is now a 2 year old and you would never know she had a problem. She does seem to have limited vision--but its not very good. She did very well once she got to know where everything was located. The first couple of days out into the field we walked her with her dam around the perimeter and then she was off and running. Good luck

-RachelJ

Latest posts

Back