Has anyone done the lateral luxating Patella surgery?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minigrl5772

Reaction score
Hello!New to this forum, was on another forum... but no one seems to be able to help me out.

Anyways April 1st my 5 year old mini mare had surgery to correct her lateral luxating patella. It has been two months and I'm at the point of regretting doing the surgery.

First few weeks she wouldn't use her leg. She hopped around on three legs. Now she uses her leg.. but she is just using the 'toe' to get around,

I am back to carting her, physical therapy and lunging- per Vet's orders.

I'm not seeing much improvement anymore. There is still hard swelling around the incision site.

Have any of you had this surgery? What is the recovery time? When did you see actual improvement?

Please I am desperately wanting to speak to someone who has been through this ordeal.

I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much in just two months?

THanks in advance

My mare had both stifles done on December 28th, 2012. My vet has lots of experience doing them on big horses, worked at a big surgery center just after vet school wehre they routinely did Saddlebreds and Hackneys. Her surgery was very easy. For her recovery, he insisted on 4 weeks complete stall rest, followed by 4 weeks free turnout. Then we started light work back with leading, then onto driving and harder work.

She was only "off" for about a week, then was sound, and has never been lame since, or had any other problems. She showed all weekend last weekend (hunter, driving, jumper, obstacle) with no issues. I will note however, that x-rays showed there was no joint damage yet from her stifle lock, and she vetted sound by flex test in all other tests at time of her surgery.

Latest posts

Back