Harnessing Book

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evedex

Reaction score
It has been a while since I mentioned this on the list but perhaps the best $18 you can spend on your harness and carts is to purchase Understanding Harness Balanced Draft - Breast Collars - Neck Collars by Barb Lee.

This book is available at http://www.wildhorsebooks.com/harness.htm among other sites, and is a short, clearly written book with lots of photos and illustrations about how harness works and the best way to set your horse up for comfort and efficiency.

Often there are people writing to the list asking many of the questions that are explained and answered in this book. Barb Lee is a retired harnessmaker who has spent, and is contiuing to spend, an inordinate amount of time researching and understanding the whys and wherefores of harnessing....not just doing things because they have been done that way before. I think you will all find this book invaluable. Oh, and by the way, HRH Prince Phillip has a copy in his library too <G>

Wow!

Sounds like some good info in that book!
default_yes.gif

OMG - I own that book --- forgot I had it -- now where did I put it --- it could be the answer to my questions too! THANK YOU for posting that.

JJay

Eve gave me a copy of this book and it is full of great info - she is right that everyone driving should read it.

Don't forget to use your own judgment as well and think critically about anything you read. After all, that's what Barb did!
default_thumbup.gif
I think she has written an excellent book and agree with most of what she says but there is always room for more learning and some horses will be exceptions to the rule.

I'm not poo-pooing the book at all, it's just that I've gotten rather tired of some of her advocates (not you, Eve!) acting like neck collars are the only answer and if you aren't using one you're abusing your horse. :DOH! Arrrghhh!!!

Anyway, it is a good book. Sorry for the vent!
default_unsure.png

Leia

I agree with you Leia. I have talked to some people that have taken her information to extremes. There definitely are instances with certain vehicles where you are abusing your horse if you are not using a neck collar but there are plenty of instances with horizontal draft where a breast collar works as well particularly for Minis who are notoriously difficult to fit for a neck collar and change so much from season to season. The Camptown Freedom collars I think are as good or better with most vehicles and a Mini. Country Carriage's comfort breast collar with adjustable draft is also a good choice for Minis on most vehicles. I would far rather see a good quality breast collar on a Mini than a poorly fitted neck collar and at least you know it will always fit.

The whole thing is that your choice of collar...breast or neck....should be based on your vehicle NOT on your idea of aesthetics, or some other choice. The angle of draft is what is most important for the comfort and effeciency of your set-up. Carriage and harness are a single unit in this instance.

True, a horse can pull more weight in a neck collar than in a breast collar but ONLY if the vehicle has low draft...otherwise you will be torturing your horse. A shaped breast collar is the nicest for many horses but some have higher neck sets and a straight collar is just fine for them. It is all up to the individual horse, carriage and driving conditions.

What I use personally for my horse is not the answer for others....remember that. There are some basic rules that go with each harness and cart but you need to have the understanding of it all in order to see what works best for your horse. Barb's book is a wonderful place to start and IF you don't learn more in your life with horses, you will be doing more than many Mini owners if you follow her information.

JMHO

Latest posts

Back