New pair started

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintponylvr

Reaction score
I just had to add more "stuff" to my list of things to do - between our first Congress and our first Nationals...

I picked up the new work harness for a pair in Millersburg, OH on Friday. A friend and I made it back Saturday night and this morning I fitted the harness to two smaller Shetlands...

Iggy (All That Style N Class) hasn't been worked in harness since 2009 and I don't think I was using blinders on him them. He got as far as ground driving with a drag and moving some things around for me, but we never got hooked to a wheeled vehicle. He's now wearing blinders, the work harness and had a refresher ground drive for a while. I will need to "tie up" his bit - he keeps getting his tongue over it (though it didn't bother him to have me "fix" the problem) - no matter how loose or tight I make the headstall adjustments.

Then I fitted the work harness to Stuffy (LP Painted Stuffnpuf). She took exception to all the noise the work harness makes, LOL. She spent some time at the end of the lines - cantering and hopping around in both directions. When she quieted down, we also did another refresher course in ground driving.

Back to the trailer to hook them together as a pair. Neither has worked as a pair before. There is a 2 inch difference in their height with differences in their build as well, but they did awesome for their first ground drive together. I will need to work them together a couple more times this week, then they will have a week off while I'm gone...

When I get back, I will be doing more ground driving with them. I won't be able to pick up the wagon until the beginning of October and I don't have any equipment that they can be hooked to right now (well, a home made pasture drag made of chain link). They are substantially smaller than my pair that I drive with the forecart and it's actually sized for Hafflingers not the Shetlands.

12sep3igst597.jpg

12sep3igst593.jpg

12sep3igst594.jpg

12sep3igst601.jpg

Both of these two are wearing Mini harness - Iggy is wearing a 13" collar and Stuffy is wearing a 12" collar.

I have a 2 year old gelding that is out of this pair and will match his dam after his harness is fitted and he is well started in driving. The full sister (yearling) is built more like Iggy as well as a bit taller, so may match him - for both a 4 up hitch and a 4 abreast hitch of working ponies.

WHAT FUN !! Along with sharing Labor Day with family, I got them started. The best way to spend a Holiday.

Latest posts

Back