harness without the blinders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krissy3

Hi everyone,

well I searched Washington state high and low for another leather harness with no luck... so I am back home with one that i am not wild about... i would like to try a harness without the blinders, and a softer leather. I wont be showing , so I only need one for at home driving....any ideas? hope its OK to ask here

Krissy, You can use the harness you have, just get another bridle. I got the Western style leather one and the nylon one from Ozark Mountian, but they have them at other mini tack places also. Have you tried conditioning the harness you have? Leather will soften and form with conditioning and use, They are all a little stiff at first, just like shoes.
default_smile.png

PM me if you need help, I can help get you one shipped.

As Candycar said, you can simply buy another bridle and substitute it in for the one with blinkers. I would recommend using an English-style bridle however as it's important to have a throatlatch to keep the horse from rubbing the bridle off it's head and it will look more like part of your harness.
default_smile.png
Western bridles are meant to be used with curb bits and a loose rein, while English bridles are meant for snaffles and full rein contact as we use when driving.

I'd recommend the Ozark Mtn Pleasure Harness as a good starter. It's inexpensive and VERY soft when it first comes, but well-made and can be custom fitted if you call Lisa B. with measurements.

Good luck! I'm in WA if you need any help.

Leia

I have a biothane harness with blinders and my gelding does not like the blinders but did better when I used a bridle without, but they didn't match, so I had Jean at Higher Mark make one and its awesome. I sent her pics of my bridle from the harness and measurements and she made it just like it and for the browband I had her do it like the Walking horse browbands which is a shiney black with a different color in lay which I used rust to match my cart and boy does it look sharp on him.

Or you could also have cheekpieces made without blinders. After I ordered my Camptown, I also ordered open cheek pieces...I think they were like $20, so I use the same bridle and just change the cheekpieces for blinders or without....

Latest posts

Back