Harness/Tack advise

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schutzandwhinnies

Reaction score
My daughter is learning to cart soon with her mini. We have the cart but need harness advise. She is 33" and knows exactly what she's doing, we are the newbies
default_smile.png
I see so many online and I am a bit frazzled there are so many out there.

I don't want her to have a show one just yet.

So what is the scoop on the brands etc..?

Is one better than another as far as function or are they all equal and it's is just preference?

I see leather and other materials now so what material is best?

What bits are best for a smart horse and a rooky driver?

Any tips so we don't leave anything out or drive for the next 6 months and someone says, well gosh stupid why didn't you just........ :eek:

We live in Washington near Gig Harbor, are there any folks out this way that give carting lessons?

Thanks for any advise you might have :saludando:

I really like my betathane harness, I had a local woman....I live in NH....come over and measure my guy so I knew it would fit correct, I really like it, it looks nice and it's really easy to clean :bgrin

As far as a bit goes, you might want to ask the people who have driven him in the past, I started mine out in a Mullen mouth mini driving bit.

I hope you can find someone to take some lessons with or maybe do some driving clinics they can be alot of fun!

Champ
default_smile.png

i use miniexpress leather harnesses on all my horses

they are good quality and fairly priced :aktion033:

i would definately reccomend them

i like french link snaffles which you can also buy at miniexpress

I would definately recommend a nice leather harness. I prefer them over any of the synthetics. I think I've tried most of them out there
default_rolleyes.gif
: and spent TONS of money trying to find the right one. My advice is to spend the money and get a really good one. Don't scrimp on this part... I have a wonderful harness, made by the Amish, and purchased from Silver Penny Farm. They don't make them anymore :no: I was very sad to hear this...

I have seen the mini express harness and it's a nice one. I like the harness made by Mose Miller on Ozark Mountains website too =) It's a beautiful harness.

As for bits, a mullen is a nice one. I use the Myler look alikes, both of them are a mullen type bit. I also have a small ported Myler bit as well. I use that on the horses when they are further along, unless I feel I need a "bit" more of a bit
default_rolleyes.gif
: You can go to hobbyhorse23's website and on her links page she has tons of links and info on all these things. There is a lot of info on there and well worth the read
default_yes.gif
: Good luck! You guys are going to LOVE driving!!

I bought a beautiful leather harness... check out

http://littlesteppers.homestead.com/harness.html

The price is great and the quality outstanding...
default_yes.gif
:

I have to agree ! Christine has some really NICE quality harnesses and I've found one of the best fitting as well. What I love about mine is that I can use it to drive around the farm and it's fancy enough to take into the show ring. I like having one harness for both. The horse is comfty in it, and is used to it. My take is kinda like, remember when your momma made you dress up for Sunday school and you had to wear them itchy dresses and just wished you could wear your comfty jeans and a t-shirt? When I dress Hershee up for a show with his harness, he's feeling quite comfty...and thats a good thing!

I bought a beautiful leather harness... check out http://littlesteppers.homestead.com/harness.html

The price is great and the quality outstanding...
Yup...Ditto for me too! I am waiting now for my second one from Christine's to arrive. These harnesses are handmade by an Amish harnessmaker, and are sturdy enough for everyday use, and clean-up brilliantly for the ring.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: (The one's I have are without breeching, but I'm sure you can get a breeching if you needed one.)

Yup you can.. I got mine with breeching.... :aktion033: :aktion033: Lot of hill around here...

Thanks for all the info Ladies, I'll dive in today and check everything out.

We start our mounted meeting tonight and Maddy will take Barbie, her mini, and start getting her used to being around all the "big boys" heehe. They'll be working on showmanship tonight. There are only a few events that she can enter her mini in. She'll be the only mini at fair this year from what I have heard so far. We want to practice as much as we can to give a good impression and example of how much you can do with the mini's and how much fun it can be to just watch. Maddy is planning to dress up her cart to match Barbie and put on a good show and have some fun w/ her horsey. :aktion033:

With all of this good advise I should have the harness by the next meeting and she can start trying it out. Barbie is very good at all her ques etc...for driving and loves Maddy and takes good instruction from her. they trust each other. I think I'll try the small ported snaffle since that was recommended for the horse that knows the ropes. I agree on the leather too
default_yes.gif
:

Maddy and I are so excited to get Barbie out there and have some fun. I'll let you know how the new harness works out and maybe a few pictures for entertainment :lol: as I am sure Maddy will pick it up quick with Barbie as such a good teacher and being so forgiving.

Thanks for all the great info! Smiles, Amy

Oh yes I forgot to ask What is breeching? Thanks :bgrin

Latest posts

Back