harness question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prairie ponies

Reaction score
Is red trim on a black leather harness to match the red pin stripe on a black houghton cart classy or dorky? The horse is a solid dark bay. This would be to show amhr? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

My trim on my harness is silver to match the chrome on my cart, so I don't see anything wrong with matching pinstriping. Some say it doesn't matter if it matches or not, but I always liked the way it looked.

My trim on my harness is silver to match the chrome on my cart, so I don't see anything wrong with matching pinstriping. Some say it doesn't matter if it matches or not, but I always liked the way it looked.

Ok , thank you that really helps me, I am kind of new and don't want to invest in the wrong thing!

I don't see why it shouldn't work. I've seen some clashes at Nationals that would actually win the class. I think the question would be is the quality of harness good?

I think the question would be is the quality of harness good?

^^^^^ This. There are some cheapie harnesses out there made like what you describe. Be VERY careful what you purchase, as the leather is like cardboard and it will not last. Save up and get a better one, or REALLY save and get an awesome one. My harness for my gelding is at least eight years old, if not older and other than replacing the reins, it's still in super shape! And the only reason I replaced them is that they were "fuzzing" along the edges where they ran through the terrets. Still perfectly usable but messy for the showring...

I agree that the quality of harness is more important than the color of the piping.

We are not trying to infer anything... But a lot of the cheapie harness has red trim, which I think is sending red flags. If you need help picking a first time show harness let us know... We are always happy to help! Just be very, very careful of any harness under $300... They may not last long and be unsafe or not fit your horse comfortably. It is certainly something to save up for... But worth it in the long run.

That said... I don't like red trim and prefer black (the most versatile) or gold on a brass harness or silver on a nickel harness. I did have a harness with metallic purple trim but I've been unable to find another one like it!!!

Andrea

Here is another thing you can look into is instead of buying a show harness, especially if your just getting into it. Buy yourself a nice working harness and find yourself one that is good quality that will also take you into the show ring. I can't afford the real fancy show harnesses. But I will not waste my money on cheap made harnesses either. I buy my harnesses from Mini Express. My XS harness I paid $300 for and I changed the browband and conchos to make it pop, my Western harness I paid $400 for and I attatched conchos to it myself to give it more of that western feel. I've had lots of comments on it even by judges and they ask if it was a Lutke harness, those harnesses cost $1200 and more. But I work in these harness and the key is to keep them cleaned and conditioned and they are ready to show. That is what I recommend. Find yourself a good working harness and keep it in good shape and you will have no problems showing in it especially at local shows, and I show my harnesses at Nationals. You can see pics of mine thru these links:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320116_2009916175574_1473817765_31772059_909323716_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/298868_2009915375554_1473817765_31772056_1610957553_n.jpg

Mini Express makes really good harnesses for the right money. I highly recommend them or take a look at Ozark Mini Tack.

The picture is getting clearer......thank you, thank you, thank you, I'll let you know how my shopping journey goes!

I very highly recommend the just-under-$300 harness at ozark (mini tack.com) for a basic work/show harness.. For the money it can't be beat.

Latest posts

Back