harness pads

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
Are all harness pads pretty much the same? I have looked at a few different sell sites and most look similar...so...what better way to find an answer to this question than to come here..are they created equal? Which do you prefer?

From past experiences I have found that the velvet diamond stitched pads work the best. Offer great comfort without a lot of bulk, come in 2 lengths (Small is 14" x 3 1/2" wide, Large is 19" x 5"). I don't like the acrylic fleece as it will not stay under your saddle.

Can't say enough about the velvet pads--I have 7 of them. I get them from Ozark Mountain Tack.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several different types.

If you are looking for something pretty, just to give a bit more support to a show saddle...the small velvet or leather ones although they have no padding, would do.

You can also get the thicker foam-filled naugahide or fuzzy ones, which offer a bit more support and padding. They are good for the usual mosey along the trail kind of driving, and the naugahide ones look good enough to show with...personally I don't like the coloured fuzzy ones used in a show ring, but don't mind them in black.

If you are interested in driving a bit more than just in a show ring, and expect to hit the trails hard...say working towards being competitive in the combined driving discipline, I strongly suggest a waffle pad set, paired with a harness with a good wide saddle.

I bought a waffle type one from Estate (I think- they were right inside the door at Nationals with all the harnesses on the end) and Sunny LOVES it. It matches his show harness and blends right in. So I went and bought one for Pinkie, too!

Latest posts

Back