New harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renolizzie

Reaction score
I am definitely buying a new harness for my little horse this year.

I am leaning towards the comfy fit harness with the padded collar with the dip in front.

I do need to keep the price within the realm of reason. We will not be doing shows, only trail driving.

My little horse is only 30 1/2 inches tall but he does pull me around the neighborhood. My current harness has no breeching, which is one reason I want to upgrade. We only have a few small hills which are really dips into arroyos but they are a bit steep so I have been avoiding those roads.

The other problem with my current harness is the bridle...the blinker on the right side will not stay out no matter what I do. The comfy fit harness will come with a new bridle.

I have a Jerald easy entry cart.

Is it going to be hard to measure for the harness?

I could go with a "regular" harness but it isn't that much cheaper, all things considered. Still, this is a hobby and I only have so much to spend.

I see the price will be going up in February at Chimicum Tack although by only $50 but a buck is a buck so I am thinking about ordering soon.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

I love the Comfy fit harness - great quality. I don't think you will find it hard to measure for it.

You can phone them up.

The Canadian dollar has dropped to 94¢ to the US$ and shipping costs went up so unfortunately I won't be buying another Comfy fit right now.

Diesel will have to wait for his harness to match Lacey's.

I did buy a leather harness from Tina the other day, so will use that for now.

You can order breeching seperately and a bridle seperately. If the saddle fits well, it might save you a little money to just buy extra pieces. Maybe you dont' need new reins or girth?

My harness is "parts", accumulated over the years. Original saddle and girth and back strap/crupper, but new breeching, and a Camptown breast collar. Luckily, my original bridle was excellent, so I'm still using it. I HATE bridles that have bad blinders! Is the wire broken in yours? Bad design?

I used to have a 29 gelding that worked in my Jerald cart. He had no problem with it; he was a little powerhouse.

Hi Marsha - That is a thought to just replace some of the parts.

The surcingle is, unfortunately, too small with his winter coat so ...I am not driving him right now although the weather has turned nice. Looks like the weather is warming up but I hate to shave him in case it gets cold again. He does not have a barn just a shed and I don't use a blanket on him.

The breast collar has a fluffy and that fluffy refuses to stay in the middle.

The bridle has always had a bad blinker. The wire isn't broken but it will not stay in place on the right hand side. I fix it and then it is back to being out of place before you know it.

The harness came with some parts that the lady said is breeching but no one can figure out how those parts go together and become breeching. I have a feeling that those straps are not breeching but something else.

My reins are okay.

I love driving my little guy but I do think the harness and bridle are is not good quality and I will be replacing it this year. He is a sweet little horse and I want us to both enjoy going out on the road. Now I just have to make up my mind which harness to buy.

I am very close to pushing the buy button after communicating several times with the nice tack lady. Although the ComfyFit is a really nice looking harness the winner is new traditional harness in betathane with a cushy breast pad and back pad.

I believe this will be an upgrade from my current harness which has too small a surcingle, no strap from the breast collar to the surcingle and a crappy bridle as well as no breeching and all at a reasonable price.

It feels like such a big decision:)

Did any of the rest of you dither for so long over the whole buy another harness issue?

I feel the exact same way, Renolizzie. I keep going back and forth between the basic $500 harness and the beautiful $1000 harness. Luckily I have until spring/summer to decide.

I'm still dithering on the harness but I am so excited...I finally found someone nearby who gives driving lessons. Let's hope this works out. He seems knowledgeable and nice. Yay!!!! He is the leader of the local endurance driving group. I can't wait to meet him in person. He's going to help me check out my harness and meet my critters on Tuesday.

Wow! That's so exciting! I was so happy when i found my driving coach. I can't start until late spring/summer though. If I didn't find someone to help, I wouldn't be training Breaker to drive, so I'm so happy I did! Keep us posted on the driving lessons!
default_smile.png

Hi Jenny -

Finding someone who gives lessons is exciting. I initially got some driving lessons before I bought Wiseguy. The distance and the cost were adding up but it was worth it to me but I really need someone who can come to my house now that my horse is here, if at all possible.

My little Wiseguy was trained to drive when I bought him but the new guy, Nevada, is not trained to drive...at least I don't think he is. Nevada has been a handful but I really like him. He is very smart. I am teaching him to shake hands and do "nose bumps". Also tight circles. I think he could learn some horsey tricks but I don't know how I would do the training for that.

Nevada has already learned to not rush the gate and to step back when I come in the pen instead of crowding me. I have been getting him into the round pen using a stud chain to lead him. He learned really fast to lead more properly with the stud chain on and not try to drag me. We are working on giving me some space by bumping his neck and saying "space". He's already doing better. Let's hope he will work out for carting.

In the round pen he originally had no respect for me at all but after several times we are doing much better. I still have lots to work on and so does he.

If I like this trainer and I think I will, I would have some help to getNevada started.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trainer showed up and he is a nice guy who seems knowledgeable about trail driving, He actually got the breeching put together and working. He also has a small bridle and possibly a larger belly strap for my little horse. I will go to his place on Saturday and we will see what he has.

He also has a chariot. Hubby has been talking about building a chariot since we got Nevada.

I felt reassured that we are doing a good job on leading and round penning with Nevada. The trainer showed us another way to set up the stud chain. I left the trainer and Hubby out there by themselves for awhile since I want Hubby to feel invested in "his" horse - Nevada. I actually do most of the work around here whether training or cleaning up but I would love if Hubby enjoyed the horses.

We went over my harness, got the breeching put together and working, he showed me how to set up the cart which is basically the way I have been doing it. He was very impressed at how well behaved little Wiseguy was as we messed with harness parts and getting the breeching adjusted for quite awhile.

Nevada also impressed the trainer as a horse that would be great in cart. Nevada might have a couple of issues but he is so confident and Nevada does not spook or look worried under almost any circumstance.

I have been leading Nevada out to the round pen using the stud chain. I have been taking the halter off and then getting him to go around and turn. Last time I had him out was truly a success. He was calmer and, while he still doesn't want to turn when I tell him to sometimes, he is listening a lot better. Nevada also has calmed down about being separated from Wiseguy. I am thrilled with our progress.

Wiseguy has learned to turn toward the rail and away from the rail in the round pen. It is so satisfying to teach a horse something. Like "Hey, you, me, working together, buddy!"

I always get compliments on how fine and nice looking my two horses are. The vet, the farrier and now the trainer all think I have nice looking specimens. I am a proud horse owner:)

The trainer is coming out again next Tuesday. Yay! If we can get the gear straightened out, maybe ground driving or getting into the cart with Wiseguy.

Latest posts

Back