Handling a mini stud who wants to rare up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the new information helps a LOT and as has been advised, these things are sometimes not really acceptable, but we will look the other way, though if the horse begins taking it too far, it can get out of control.

If they're otherwise very respectful, I wouldn't give it another thought, other than an "AAHHTT" or something like that or "QUIT" and a light tug on the lead, depending on the severity of the outburst, and the length.

As I said originally, it's so hard to help w/a behavior issue unless one can be there to see it in context, as well as have a bit of precedent to work from with the animal.
default_smile.png

I hope your boy stays a "good" boy and all is well from now on.

A living creature is a dynamic thing, as humans, and they have good days, bad days, good moments, bad moments, they make mistakes and so forth. However, there is a line where they must be communicated with in a manner that they understand so that all stay safe and healthy, and that's the best/hardest part of owning animals, where they respect and trust enough to obey and perform, yet still retain their personality and freedom of choice.

Anyway, I'm rambling.
default_smile.png

Liz

Liz, you are exactly right. Jane and Marty you said it very well as well as several others. There is not one exact method that works in every instance. It takes knowing your own animal, having the experience to understand the reason for the behavior, and knowing how far to take the discipline for that particular instance.

Often what I will allow a horse to do with me, I will not allow that behavior with a less experienced handler as it can quickly go from having a bit of fun to being disrespectful or out of control or frightening for a newbie.

I hate the term "break" a horse. I try very hard to get them to do what I need from them without "breaking" them as I feel the personality of each horse is what makes the horse and provides me with the enjoyment I get from them. Some just have a more playful persoanlity than others.

Hello Everyone,

The stud try to rear up again today, but I back him up and told him NO.He try to rear a few times, but after working with him he got better. Then after he was good and no more rearing up, I let him run and play.After his play time he came right back to me like a good boy.
default_smile.png

I hope we can get him back the way he was soon.

Thanks MELISSA

Excellent! Sounds like he just needs to know it is not acceptable and he will learn to control himself on his way out to play!

Latest posts

Back