Halter Sizes!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O So

Reaction score
I must have a in between size horse when it comes to fitting him with a halter! LOL I actually have a halter that fits him good. It is just old and not very nice looking. It does get the job done though! I am having the darndest time finding a new one that fits him though! I bought a medium from Double TT Tack and it was to big. The muzzle part went almost to the bottom of his eyes and the top part went about 3 or so inches past the last hole for the buckle! I returned it for a small. Recieved it today and went out to try it on. It goes on but the muzzle seems a bit tight to me. O So can still chew with it on, but he didn't seem like he liked it much. The top part could only be buckled in the very first hole. So not much left over material at the top left over. I am thinking about trying to find an old shoe stretcher or pant waist stretcher and stretch the muzzle part.

I just wish there was more mini tack places in my area. It just costs to much to have to return and have another sent. My 6 dollar halter cost me 16 bucks. Not TT's fault at all. They were great! I just can't see trying another Tack place and paying that much over and over, till I find a halter brand that fits! To bad his old halter didn't have a name on it! It is pretty old looking so I'm sure they probably don't even make one like it anymore! LOL

Maybe I should buy them and just sell the one's that don't fit on ebay! LOL

Kim

You could measure from where the halter would fit on both sides, up over the ears. Then contact a miniature tack vendor (Star Lakes, Ozark, Double Diamond, to name a few) and ask them which size would work. They would be able to measure and make sure which would be the best size.

Is it possible that Double T sent you a horse or pony size halter at first by accident?

Since you have a small now and its a bit tight around the muzzle, perhaps return that for a medium and that should fit.

Why not get a halter with an adjustable nose band? And I would stick with the medium size. I do agree with Ruffian, call.
default_smile.png

Why not get a halter with an adjustable nose band? And I would stick with the medium size. I do agree with Ruffian, call.
default_smile.png
I didn't call, but I emailed some pics and measurements of the halter I have now. At first she thought small, but then figured med. The medium was just to big. At first I figured I could just put a new hole in to make the part that goes over his head fit, but the muzzle peice almost went to his eyes! So I figured it wouldn't work out! So I sent it back for a small. The small is almost to small. It would work ok, if I could just stretch the muzzle piece a bit.

I bought, and still have, I 'yearling' halter that is all adjustable. I don't like it because it has a ton of metal on it! It has clips that allow one to un hook the muzzle piece and also has the buckle for the muzzle and the ring to put the lead on! That is for a regular horse though. I bought it at my local feed store.

If I can find an adjustable one that just has a buckle and a ring for the lead, I would probably go for it! Guess I will keep looking!
default_biggrin.png

Why not measure the halter you have that fits; then, contact the mini tack places and tell them the measurements you have and ask what halter would work?

Why not measure the halter you have that fits; then, contact the mini tack places and tell them the measurements you have and ask what halter would work?
That is what I did with this one! I sent pics with the cloth measurement tape around the halter at the muzzle and at the area that goes around the neck. Also gave the measurement of the distance from muzzle to neck section. It still didn't work out well. I think because of different brands of halters fit different! I will try to send the pics to another tack place and see what they come up with!

There is a lady in Iowa named Maureen Schroeder, and the name of her business is Alpine Halters. She makes these halters herself, and they are honestly the BEST halters I've ever had! I was so impressed with them that I'm going to give her a link on my website.

One of the things I like about them is that the nylon she uses isn't that really wide stuff, but it's narrower, made to fit a miniature's head and contours much better. Another thing is that the holes where the buckle poker thingy goes into are extremely strong, and also very easy to get the buckle into, and they don't fray! I've always had problems with those holes on other halters fraying and not being able to get the buckle into them. She also puts extra holes in them, which is a plus, because in the winter, when I don't cut bridle paths, I need the halters a bit larger.

She has all kinds of sizes, too, and if you talk to her or email her she is very helpful and accomodating. I can't remember what the halters cost, but I know they were very, very reasonable and not as much as I was paying elsewhere.

Her website isn't all that helpful, but here it is in case you want to go take a peek:

http://www.alpinecom.net/~halters/haltersntack.htm

Could I just ask why you are muzzling him?

I thought we had agreed he was underweight?

Could I just ask why you are muzzling him?

I thought we had agreed he was underweight?
Jane, I don't think she is muzzleing him, I think she was refering to the part that goes around the nose as the muzzle part.

That is what I did with this one! I sent pics with the cloth measurement tape around the halter at the muzzle and at the area that goes around the neck. Also gave the measurement of the distance from muzzle to neck section. It still didn't work out well. I think because of different brands of halters fit different! I will try to send the pics to another tack place and see what they come up with!
If that is what you did, then I wouldn't use that tack store.
default_new_shocked.gif
If you measured, then they should know the size of their halters that would work - not just guess! I would not shop from them again, if I were you.

I love my Ozark and DD halters....

This is one we would use for shows or special occasions. Strong, beautiful, but a little heavy for a smaller guy. Great halter

Halter 1

These are great barn halters. Not as strong, but lighter.

Halter 2

DD no longer sells mini tack..
default_no.gif
But here is Star Lakes halter, the first one: Halter 3

Best of luck... I remember I used to have a lot of trouble too. Now I have about 50 halters for each horse!
default_wink.png
It'll be the same thing with blankets too
default_laugh.png

There is a lady in Iowa named Maureen Schroeder, and the name of her business is Alpine Halters. She makes these halters herself, and they are honestly the BEST halters I've ever had! I was so impressed with them that I'm going to give her a link on my website.

One of the things I like about them is that the nylon she uses isn't that really wide stuff, but it's narrower, made to fit a miniature's head and contours much better. Another thing is that the holes where the buckle poker thingy goes into are extremely strong, and also very easy to get the buckle into, and they don't fray! I've always had problems with those holes on other halters fraying and not being able to get the buckle into them. She also puts extra holes in them, which is a plus, because in the winter, when I don't cut bridle paths, I need the halters a bit larger.

She has all kinds of sizes, too, and if you talk to her or email her she is very helpful and accomodating. I can't remember what the halters cost, but I know they were very, very reasonable and not as much as I was paying elsewhere.

Her website isn't all that helpful, but here it is in case you want to go take a peek:

http://www.alpinecom...altersntack.htm
I also recommend Maureen for her halters!!! I have bought some and they are more affordable than some of these other websites. The quality is outstanding as well and she has a great variety of colors, prints, and sizes!

Jane, I don't think she is muzzleing him, I think she was refering to the part that goes around the nose as the muzzle part.
Yes, that is correct! I figured that part was called his muzzle! I am not muzzling him! If I didn't want him to eat grass, I would just close the gate to that yard!

Latest posts

Back