Halter Horses VS Preformance Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well not only are halter horses "beautfiul to look at and conformationally correct" but driving horses need that too. If you have a horse with a lower neck carriage and a thick short neck, they cannot set thier heads up into a bridle like a "conformationally correct" horse can. A horse with a steep shoulder cannot get the extension and lift on the front end that a sloping sholdered horse can. A horse with a weak hip, doesn't have the impulsion and drive from the hind like a horse that has a strong hip. Good driving horses are conformationally correct. I woun't go on about my horses but look at them, all have multiple stakes wins (even National titles in driving) as well as multiple grand champions in halter.
YOu said what I was trying to much better then I Could. I have seen halter horses that cant move great but then again I have seen driving horses that cant move great either as a general statement I think at the shows I have been to and at Nationals it is more common then not to have a horse that can do both

When we look at our horses for showing halter, we are also considering how well they will do in harness. Seldom will we show a horse in both halter and harness at the same show simply because we do not want him to get too tired to enjoy what we ask of him. But on the same line, you will seldom see us show a single horse in amateur, youth, color and open. We just feel that since we have enough horses to go around (I know we are fortunate) that we do not need to ask one to do everything. If one of our geldings get into the HOF as a 2 yr old, he will then be an amateur/youth horse until he is old enough to harness ect.

I'm sure I'll get in trouble for this, but I must agree that I think the halter horses of today are focusing more on head and neck than body. Folks, watch a lot of your 'top' (NOT ALL) halter horses from behind and in front when they walk or trot!! as they sure look different than from the side view!! I have been to every National AMHR show for the past 10 years and believe me, it still shocks me when I see the feet and legs of some of the winners!! I certainly won't get into names, but many of our 'TOP' stallions (again, NOT ALL) have crooked legs or feet!! Coming from a QH background, we look at legs FIRST! IMO, if you don't have good feet and legs, you don't have much. I also like the all around horse and that is what we strive for. Unfortunately, it seems that a really good halter horse (with attitude) doesn't make a good obstacle horse. For a good obstacle horse, IMO, you need your horse to completely trust you and this seems to take the edge off the halter horse. We usually quit showing halter (unless there is a flat fee) after we train them for obstacle. Again, JMO!

Pam

Latest posts

Back