Halter Advice.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricket8

Reaction score
There's a little show this weekend and a friend of mine really wants to show my mini for fun. She is a Grulla and she has a very thick mane. Now with the Grulla's their dorsal stripe runs from the forelock all the way down into their tail and if I thin her mane out it will thin the silver she has on the top as well as on the bottom. I am at a loss of what to do. It looks HORRIBLE right now because she has a horse fro. How do I thin it without screwing with the coloring of her mane or what would you suggest to use on it to be a little less unruly?

Hoof polish? Same as what would be used in the larger horse world? more than 2 white socks go all clear?

Just for fun but, I want her looking nice. Any other good tips would be all right by me.

030 (2).jpg

clip down the mane to take off some, see the other thread here on sweating, and as for the feet, clear on white or party colored hooves, black on black.

Yea I really need to get a neck sweat if I want to take this into a more serious level. She does have a really fat neck that unfortunately makes her neck look pretty short haha.

Sorry I didn't mean that her neck needed to be sweated, I posted pictures on clipping manes for the poster that started the thread on sweating aids. It might be helpful for you too for your girls mane.

Lol... she really does need her neck sweated. We laugh because between that thick unruly mane and her thick neck right now she looks like she has barely any neck.

I guess if she were my mare I would clip the bottom of her mare some. Not a lot, and somebody mentioned straightening manes. I would at least try that on her as well because I have a gelding that I've been wanting to do that to!

I don't think her necks is screaming for a sweat like some do. Especially with her neck stretched out like in your avatar. She's looking good!

Thank you! I have worked really hard on her. She was severely underweight when I bought her she had a thick coat and it was only September she had rain rot all over her back and she looked just horrible. I have been putting a lot of work into her and it's nice to hear nice comments. She still needs some muscle build up esp. on her top line but, here are current pics. Please pardon the halter placement. No matter what I kept on telling my friend she kept on lowering it. UGH! Oh and she was on a hill haha... we were on the racetrack so her little heels are off the ground.

034.JPG

Oh and we cannot forget the fact that her tail was docked which I found out a week or so later because it was infected and smelling horribly and she was about to die of sepsis. So needless to say she is pretty spoiled now. I just adore her!
default_wub.png

Her neck does not look big. I would focus on her mane. Clip from under and you should be fine

Have you got or can you borrow some hair straighteners?? Have several goes with them and I think you fill find her mane will 'look' thinner and lay beautifully flat - last's most of the show day too if you do it first thing in the morning!!
default_yes.gif

Good luck!!

Agree with clipping from underneath the mane, I'd also take a very thing line of mane off the top to help neaten it up. You can also pull hair from the middle of the mane if you're trying to save colour.

I didn't have the guts to do anything today with her mane. I still have a few days thankfully. Just did her crazy ears. She's awful for them so I just want to get them done a bit earlier than I would normally do them. I had a masseuse come out and work on her. Her stifles and flanks are a bit sore after getting into her cart accident a few days back so I blue lotion'ed and dmso'd with a blanket over the top of her bum to heat it up nicely. Prayerfully she feels better soon. She said the stifle feels a bit loose so we are going to just to light work for a week or so.

Thank you all by the way. I may take a bit off from the top and a bit in the middle and flat iron with a lot of moose for the show haha.

Thank you all. The person who was supposed to show her in Halter tomorrow cancelled on me.
default_sad.png
I really don't have show clothes right now so I can't do anything. I really don't want to go out there and look awful. Oh well.

I just wear a nice pair of pants, a nice shirt, and dress coat/blazer. nothing special, go for it! It's fun!

Latest posts

Back