Hair Dye

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Oaks

Reaction score
What hair dye do you use for your horses? Mine doesn't seem to cover well, it leaves streaks.
default_wacko.png

I use a brand from walmart for the horses and it runs just over $2 per box and really works well, although I do need to color them agian every few shows. To cover sun bleaching, i like the blackest black color as it seems to do the trick although i know a lot use a color called blackest brown but it just did not cover the red highlights on the black tails / manes a well as the blackest black did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too use the same as Leeana above. And now that my show season is over with, and because their manes and tails look like crap. I cut them OFF all of it! And they all look like little draft horses but it works great for me. By time next years show season comes, everyones hair is all grown back with no sun bleaching or dulled out from the dyes, and is long thick healthy normal and awesom looking! (my minis hair grows back fast) so not sure about anyone else. I just brush it and keep it clean and it seems to look like brand new hair by time show season starts the following year.
default_biggrin.png

We use just for men as it will last all show season. i found out that the generic just doesnt last and I hate dying manes and tails so buy the good stuff and do it once

I've been happiest with the results using "Just For Men". Not the brush on type for facial hair, though. The Just For Men drips less than the other dyes I've tried and lasts a long time. IIt also seems to get in good to the thick / coarse hair in manes and tails better than the other (for women) dyes I've tried.

One tip that has worked for me is if you are trying to dye a sunbleached black mane and tail, go with a "darkest brown" or "almost black" shade. That will look a lot more natural than a truly black dye. Also, wear the gloves. It's kind of a pain in the butt to work the stuff in wearing the gloves but I know how long it takes to wash and wear off if you do not make yourself wear the gloves
default_wink.png

We use just for men as it will last all show season. i found out that the generic just doesnt last and I hate dying manes and tails so buy the good stuff and do it once

I tried the just for men on Kitty early this year and I felt it lasted about the same as the $2 brand (wish I could remember the actual name of the brand) which is about 2-3 shows.

Just for Men. I used to use Clairol or whatever womens hair dye was on sale, but Just for Men is faster & drips less. Wonder why they can't make a 5 minute hair dye for women??
default_wacko.png

Jan

Since I am still so new to this...

should I dye my silver buckskin filly's mane and tail or leave it alone? ( I have also noticed a lot of horses seem to have dyed legs)

If I should dye it what color would you recommend using?

Since I am still so new to this...should I dye my silver buckskin filly's mane and tail or leave it alone? ( I have also noticed a lot of horses seem to have dyed legs)

If I should dye it what color would you recommend using?

My Dakota is just about about the same color as the horse in your avatar and his mane and tail is sun bleached, I think he's darker though. DO most people DYE? I didn't know what the heck to do for Nationals or what color to put on????? I do think I'll use the Just for Men though, thanks for the reccomendation on that. A color would help though.... Thanks.... TJ

sorry I thought I put a photo in the post. ( she is not the one in the avatar)

she has a lot of dark hairs mixed in her mane and tail

here she is

IE0Q3745.jpg

It is against the rules to use any dye on the BODY. You can be disqualified if they catch you doing that. Most people use white or black chalk on the legs which is acceptable but not dye.

Uharrie I would not dye that particular mares mane and tail because its mostly white.

I also never use BLACK I always use a color one level below that. I think the one I do is natural black.

I like just for men as it only sits like 5-8 mins.

Most of the people in my area do dye manes and tails.

Also how long it lasts depends on if you let them back out in sunlight all day. Our dark show horses are in all day and out all night to lessen the sun bleaching.

As a hairdresser.... I suggest going to a Sally's, if there is one in your area. Get a hair dye that is considered temporary. If you use a good brand, such as ICON it will shine, and also not damage the hair, making it less likely to fade out.

Womens hair dye at the general stores use a 20% peroxide, that really opens the cuticle on the hair, although not extreme. The temp colors use less than 10% as a general rule and will deposit more color. Not only will they last as long as a permanent color they wont fade as bad, or damage as much.

As far as getting streaks, its actually because of improper application, your not spreading the dye through the hair, your more likely clumping it. One way to help this is to use a thinner, more drippy product and work it in, just dont use any more than needed to cover the hair completely. Starting from the root of the hair and working your way out to the ends.

You can use a wide tooth comb, but be gently dont pull to spread the color.

As for the horses that have light manes, there is a product called just shine, its like a shine temporary color, works very well to add shine, and sleek the hair up. It will make the hair look less damaged.

As for the oops spot, you can try Epsom salts to fade the color, if the horse is already clipped. You can use Vaseline to put on the hair around the mane and tail, BEFORE you color, to protect it from getting dyed in the first place.

Hope that helps...
default_smile.png

also a hair stylist... for black I agree , use a very dark brown , or 1 level lighter then the darkest. Use conditione to cover places where you dont want the dye. Only tint manes and tails, not the body and legs... I used Matrix, and a good deep contioner after.

have fun!

I am new to this too..sorry to jump in..what are the rules for dying and or restrictions?

Thanks

I cant help but think many of the buckskins I see have thier legs dyed as well. They are just too darn black and perfect not to be. I guess chalk could be used but would not think it would be that black and perfect.

It is against the rules to use any dye on the BODY. You can be disqualified if they catch you doing that. Most people use white or black chalk on the legs which is acceptable but not dye.

Well I hate to say but there are always going to be rule breakers. Honestly I think it would be very hard to dye legs black and not screw it up. I know I do chalk our pintos legs white and people are always astonished at how good it looks and that its just chalk. I have never used black chalk on legs but have seen others do it. Also I have a lot of bay pintos with black legs and they are very black and I dont chalk them or dye them.

Remember most show horses especially ones with trainers are not put out in daytime so they arent going to fade like pasture horses

The rule is you cannot dye BODY hair.

Oh I don't doubt the rules but am also sure folks do bend them a bit. I see it all the time in the dog show world. You are not suppose to have any foreign substance in the coat, (spray, chalk, dye, ect) but all you have to do is walk thru the grooming area to see all of that is used. ( I have used chalk to whiten legs and feet)

And I guarantee I know dog folks who could dye the legs of a horse and you would never know it was not the natural color. There are some really talented makeup artist out there
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back