Had to share

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
I'm so excited! As many of you have heard on Facebook or noticed through the LB status updates, I've been working hard with the boys in their stalls each night since the end of daylight savings time stole my ability to drive until spring. Turbo is now 2.5 so I've started dreaming about harnesses and in trying to chose what to order next year I have slipped various styles of blinker bridle on his head for a few moments at a time to see how they look. He's been very accepting of the headstall but it's been clear he's concerned about having his vision restricted so I had every intention of sticking to my plan of bitting him in an open bridle and adding the blinkers a little bit at time...later. Much later. Whenever seemed good!
default_laugh.png

We've been so focused on learning to ground-tie, set up for halter, stay out of my pockets, keep his butt away from me, lowering his head, beginning to bow, doing forehand and hindquarter pivots, step on a platform, etc., that I wasn't planning on introducing bitting for some time. Why bother? I won't ground-drive him until his whoa is solid, he isn't compulsive about having his rump to me and he understands moving laterally in response to pressure or a whip tap! All those pieces are being put into place currently and he's doing well but I'm still not in any hurry.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving night. I went out to the barn after dinner with a friend's Estate show harness bridle to see what the square blinkers looked like on him. Turbo was fascinated by the harness bag and as I pulled out the bridle he reached up and touched the bit before I could remove it. I thought that was good precedent to set so I clicked him for it. Well, you know how horses get when they discover something gets them a treat! I could see the light go on in his head and he immediately reached out and touched it again. Click/treat. It took almost no time at all before he was opening his mouth and taking the bit all on his own. At that point Kody decided Turbo had had enough fun and dinner was late so he nudged the gate open and poked his head into Turbo's stall to let me know he wanted some attention. After thanking my alpha horse for waiting patiently in the doorway instead of barging in, I separated them again and held the bit up for him as well. Kody, being an experienced driving horse (although one who has always hated bridling no matter how gentle I am with his ears) didn't take more than a moment to figure out I wanted him to pick up the bit. Turbo was watching with great interest through the gate and I could almost see the wheels turning in his head. When Kody interrupted Turbo had been at the stud colt stage of grabbing at the bit and trying to toss it up and down, which of course is not what I wanted. I offered him the bit through the gate after Kody'd done it a few times and Turbo started to toss it, bonked his nose on the gate, thought, and then veeeeery carefully drew the bit up into his mouth and held it. Click! After that they had it down. I was passing the bridle back and forth and each horse would pick it up, hold it until I clicked then carefully spit out the bit to get their goodies.

Honestly, by that point I was giggling like a maniac.
default_rolleyes.gif
It was so fun to see them not only bitting themselves but taking turns with it! The monkey see, monkey do aspect just made it better.

By that point their dinner was over an hour late and they'd done more than enough for one session but neither horse wanted to quit so I went back to Turbo's stall (where he wouldn't be distracted by Kody's presence) and had him take the bit one more time. This time I held the crownpiece up against his face like I was going to put it on and clicked him for holding the bit longer as I did so. He got it immediately so the next time I slipped it over one ear and the following time over both. Turbo was bridled! Of course he was mouthing the bit like a maniac and trying to grab the half-cheek "spoons" and such but for once he was completely unconcerned about the blinkers and despite the distraction of the bit in his mouth he was clearly proud of himself. I left it on for a few minutes and had him follow me once around the stall then called it quits for the night and fed them both.

You've got to understand- I've done a lot of in-depth training with my individual horses over the years but this is the first time I've ever started one completely from scratch. I know how but it's still thrilling to me to be there for the first bitting, the first show, the first ribbon, etc. Turbo has had the bit on twice more so far, including a session Mom videoed last night, and he's doing fine with both blinkers and bit but since my other reasons for not moving forward are still valid I think I'll go back to an open bridle for now and only bit him every few days to let him slowly get used to it while we establish the other basics.

I am really, really happy with my boys though and so glad to be back to active training. Thank you for letting me share!

Leia

Too Cool!

Please keep us updated on all your training and techniques. I'm still working on Lexy and need the insights you have!

I wish I'd had your knowledge and click training when starting Jelly Bean with the bit. I use Fruit Roll-Ups to get her to take the bit. It works so far, but can be a little inconvienient at times.
default_yes.gif

candycar said:
I wish I'd had your knowledge and click training when starting Jelly Bean with the bit. I use Fruit Roll-Ups to get her to take the bit. It works so far, but can be a little inconvienient at times.
default_yes.gif
It's never too late! I've been bridling Kody for six years but I put him through the exact same progression as Turbo that night and for the first time he was eager to have his bridle on. I actually had to progress to using what's called "stimulus control," which is where you start putting the behavior on a command and not rewarding them for just doing it. Both horses were getting to the point where before they were even done chewing their last treats they were wrapping their heads around me to get at the bridle I had hidden behind my back! I started using the opposing "Turn your head away" command and both quickly figured out they should wait patiently out of my space until I said "Take the bit" and then they could have it. I couldn't believe they got to that point so quickly.

Fruit Rollups are a good idea and one I intended to use until this just sort of happened. I think I'll put some on the bit when I ask him to wear it for longer periods of time as it will help keep him happy and accepting of the bit itself and not just the action of taking the bit on command and holding it for me. I don't want my horses depending on tasty wraps though as then if you don't have some when you need it...watch out the next time you try to bridle up!
default_unsure.png

Leia

I've been working hard with the boys in their stalls each night since the end of daylight savings time stole my ability to drive until spring.
If you have a yard light, you can still work with the horses. I have known people where that is all they have all winter. One day, they got the opportunity to ride in the daylight and the horse was totally spooky! It wasn't used to working in the day!
default_laugh.png
A good moonlit night with a bit of fresh snow is incredibly bright!

This will be quite an adventure for you starting from scratch. There is so much of a sense of satisfaction watching their progress, especially when you look back on photos.
default_yes.gif

Myrna

I don't want my horses depending on tasty wraps though as then if you don't have some when you need it...watch out the next time you try to bridle up!
I haven't had this problem using Fruit Rollups. I use them for the first few times just to help them learn to hold (or suck) the bit instead of chew on it, but in the mean time they have learned other things that distract them from the bit. They learn that it is work time. It wouldn't be a whole lot different than not having the clicker handy. Of course, it probably helps that they get a bit "weaned" from the FRU because I don't always take the time to clean the bit in between, so there are "leftovers" but not a whole FRU on the bit.
default_laugh.png

Myrna

RhineStone said:
If you have a yard light, you can still work with the horses. I have known people where that is all they have all winter. One day, they got the opportunity to ride in the daylight and the horse was totally spooky! It wasn't used to working in the day!
default_laugh.png
A good moonlit night with a bit of fresh snow is incredibly bright!
I don't have a light in my arena area, unfortunately, and it's surrounded by tall trees so unless there's snow to magnify the moonlight we're pretty much out of luck. The bigger problem is the pouring rain and cloud cover!
default_rolleyes.gif
I do end up driving up there after dark in the spring time though...Kody and I are both so used to it that I think nothing of driving after dark at the CDE's. People thought I was crazy the first year I attended Inavale when I came trotting in from the pitch-black, unlit field after a little late dressage practice.
default_laugh.png
Didn't matter to us though- Kody could see fine and he's the one who spots the gopher holes anyway. I just had to listen to him and let him avoid them.

RhineStone said:
This will be quite an adventure for you starting from scratch. There is so much of a sense of satisfaction watching their progress, especially when you look back on photos.
default_yes.gif
Absolutely.
default_yes.gif
I met Kody the day of his second time in the cart and trained him from there so this is just taking it one step further. My first ancient pony taught me, Spyder knew all about the world and riding/showing but I taught him new disciplines, Kody was all grown up but knew very little beyond the basics, and Turbo I'm getting to install even the basics. I guess next time I need to pick up a weanling or breed my own!
default_laugh.png

I LIVE for the satisfaction of training my own critters though, I can't imagine buying them already a winner or sending them off to a trainer to get back a completely finished stranger.
default_unsure.png
Not my thing.

RhineStone said:
I haven't had this problem using Fruit Rollups. I use them for the first few times just to help them learn to hold (or suck) the bit instead of chew on it, but in the mean time they have learned other things that distract them from the bit. They learn that it is work time. It wouldn't be a whole lot different than not having the clicker handy.
I use an oral "pop" sound instead of a metallic clicker device for just that reason (it's always handy) but the fact is I don't often use clicker training for formal driving work. As you said, there's more than enough to keep their minds busy already! But it is very useful for helping the boys to see our work in-hand as a game and something to look forward to, which is priceless for opinionated horses like Kody and young ones like Turbo.
default_wub.png

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Leia,

What fun and what a neat idea. It sounds like Turbo is going to be a very willing participant in this training journey. It is so fullfilling to bring them along and I really can't imagine doing it any other way.

I started off teaching my 2 mini donkeys to drive, then Buck then Wish.....I love that by doingg it yourself- they have no "ghosts" in their closets...the responsibility for their education falls on your shoulders.

Angie

Latest posts

Back