Had one heck of a Kidding last night

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sun Runner Stables

Reaction score
My beautiful Phoebe goat started to kid last night, got one out, and then we had a really awful dystocia.

The second kid presented with one foot. Literally one foot forward. The other was laid flat against his side, and the head was down under the pelvic rim.

My vet came over after I tried for awhile, and we eventually decided to go to a c-section. We ended up losing the second kid, however the doe survived the procedure really well.

She's currently home with her surviving buckling, and recovering really really well.

That was the first one I wasn't able to get out on my own, or that my vet could.

When I called him at 10:30, he even said to me "I Hate it when you call me later at night, I know it's bad if You can't get it out."

My regular vet was out of town, and my "vet" in this case, is really my next door neighbor who is a world class Marine Mammal vet and zoologist.

No one was willing to touch "just a goat" and we ended up having to move to a friends house and doing the c-section there.

Momma came through the c-section great, and is mom home recovering with her buckling and doing really well. It was really amazing to see the surgery up close.

I have been present with many surgeries on people, however it was completely different being that close.

I am so thankful she survived, and will be retiring her permanently to just being a happy goat here.

I took several pictures, most are pretty graphic however, so I won't post them. I will share this one though of mom and baby at home before she started the second kidding.

IMG_0921.jpg

Glad to hear that momma and baby are doing well! I rearranged many kids in my years with goats, and I sure know how tough it can be. We only had one that needed a c-section it was a Pygmy Goat that wasn't dialated properly so no way the kids were coming out. I would have loved to watch the surgery, but at the clinic you weren't allowed to watch. I am fascinated with all things vet/animal care related, how luck you are to have a vet next door!

Poor mumma goat. Just as well she had you handy. Glad she survived and her sweet baby.

How many babies do goats usually have?

Happy retirement dear Phoebe.
default_wub.png

I'm happy that your doe is ok and at least she has one baby to love. I did get to see a doe have a C Section, it was interesting but hard to watch. I did watch though, because it was a learning experience. Again, congrats on the good work.

You were lucky to have a vet so close by.

1-2 is normal, 3-4 is not normal but happens.

Phoebe is doing really really well- as is her insy leetle baby.

Here's a few of her and her little boy post op.
default_smile.png

He's literally the size of a coke bottle and will be staying here-

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

We had another kid born today, she was text book, and is just a doll!

It's a doeling (girl) and she has blue eyes and is also polled like her father.

IMG_0960.jpg

Also adorable video of her taking some first steps, but you have to turn your head sideways.
default_sad.png

*edit- never mind. I can't figure out how to load a video from Photobucket!
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've learnt two new words...buckling and doeling....
default_aktion033.gif

They say you are never too old to learn and I guess they are right.
default_yes.gif

Are they pygmy goats? They are so sweet, I'm glad your Phoebe is doing well! I love goats ... one day ... ;-)

They are Nigerian Dwarf Goats. Miniature dairy goats- where it's allll about the udder.

Thank you for all the good thoughts, I was so afraid I was going to lose my Phoebe goat, and am so relieved she is still doing so well.

She's my favorite doe for sure!

I bet that was one scary experience! So glad to hear it turned out well, but I'm just stunned that you all had to do the C section at a neighbor's house and not in a surgically sterile operating room! How wonderful it had a happy ending!

I love goats! We used to raise them about 35 years ago, just two nannies we'd breed every year, but they were so darn much fun!

I should explain that my friend has about the most advanced breeding facility I've seen outside a vet's clinic as her personal home.

So it's not like we just wandered in and flopped her on the bathroom floor.

We did use her kitchen counter, however, with the three of us being well versed in surgical prep it wasn't a difficult thing to make that area into a surgical suite.

Scrubbing down everything with nolvasan, alcohol, and using strict sterile technique isn't that hard if you are working with great people and have some experience.

To tell the truth, the biggest difference between our surgery there and the surgeries at the hospital is the amount of stainless steel and a loud radio blaring.

(I don't know why but every surgeon I have worked with loves loud music!)

We had tried to get into a hospital, but no one would see "just a goat". We begged several small animal emergency clinics as well as the large equine hospitals.

My regular vet who Does like goats was in melbourne, and couldn't pull any strings to get her into a place at (by that point 3 am in the morning.)

Trust me, I would Not have ever done it if it wasn't a choice between her dying, or us cutting.

There was just no way.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back