Had a CLOSE one last night!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
I tried! I really tried to have a mare stare! But it didn't happen. I think I beat Charlotte's record for the shortest mare stare!
default_laugh.png

I had been keeping an eye on Lady. I was horrified to see her fully bagged up at 284 days. This mare is one that mostly foals between 305-308 days but has gone shorter than that in the past. AND she was my redbag mare years ago. So anything Lady does has me on high alert!

A few days ago Lady's bag was HUGE. I knew she wasn't going to make it to her usual time.

She was in the foaling pen but not wearing the beeper system yet.

I had Karrel set my cam and stuff back up last night. I told him I HAD to put the beeper on Lady because I had "that" feeling.

We fed at 10 PM and then I went and got the halter and beeper etc. I was standing outside her pen, about to go in and put it on her. I looked over and she was down! WHAT? Dinner half way eaten? Labor for sure!

Karrel went and got my foaling kit while I went in to be with her. Since many years ago having dealt with a redbag, I don't sit there and wait to see what happens. (on any of my mares) If so many pushes happen and nothing happens, I feel in there and fix it before the foal is too far into the canal.

Lady wasn't in distress but she was pushing pretty good with nothing happening. No water broke. I tried reaching in, but couldn't get my hand in there. I had him put her halter on her and get her up. THEN I was able to reach in. My heart stopped when I felt one foot and it was UPSIDE DOWN! I broke the sac. Reached further and there was the nose & jaw, upside down. Reached further and there was the 2nd upside down foot. I gently pulled the far foot forward.

As I held the two feet in my hand I told him to let Lady go so she'd go down. I followed her with my hand still inside holding the legs. Just as I said to Karrel, "I've fixed upside down foals twice this way before and I wonder............." Lady went down and I finished by saying "And here is time number 3!" See, by holding the legs still and letting her go down, the force of her going over rotated the foal right side up! 3 times now it's been as easy as getting her up, fixing the foal, holding legs and applying counter pressure and letting the mare go down to fix them. How lucky is that?

After that the baby was born easy! At 295 days!

The FILLY jumped right up and started walking around! She's a delicate black filly with one blue eye and a tiny star.

She's here safe and sound!

website1018001.jpg

website1018003.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!

What a precious filly! I'm so glad you were there at the right time and knew how to work it all out. Congrats!

That was a fast mare stare. Glad to hear everything went ok. Congrats on the new filly.

Oh my gosh, I was on the edge of my seat reading that. How scarey but what a great outcome and a beautiful filly to boot. How you guys keep your cool when these things happen is beyond me. Congratulations!

Congratulations Robin!
default_aktion033.gif
She's a beautiful girl, and that was a GREAT save! *whew*!

CONGRATULATIONS, THANKS also for the info on the baby being upside down.

She is so lucky to have you at her side
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations on another beautiful black filly!
default_wub.png
So glad you were there and that everything worked out the way it did.

Carol

My first upside down one was years ago and I happened to be holding the legs when the mare went down and that fixed it. I was happily surprised. So that's what I've been doing since then and it's worked for me.

Karrel always says the same thing. You know what you're doing, I wasn't worried.

I always mentally freak out for a second, then get calm and do what I must. Mostly I let myself go on auto pilot and I seem to know what to do. Then afterwards, I go WHEW!
default_yes.gif

Thanks! She's another Nort daughter!
default_aktion033.gif

One more next month! A full sibling to Pooka! Then I'll be done!

That's an excellent thing to know, how to fix an upside down foal!
default_aktion033.gif
I've had legs back, red bags, and stuck foals (all delivered successfully) but I've yet to have to deal with an upside down delivery. Now I know, thanks!
default_smile.png

That's great!
default_aktion033.gif
Making a mental note. Congratulations on the successful birth and filly
default_laugh.png

Oh God be praised, Robin!!! She is lovely!

Thank you for a wonderful description of how you corrected what could have been a scary malposition! What you have written should be saved somewhere....... I'm going to make sure Larry reads it too...

Congratulations on a beautiful outcome.
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
She's simply precious, Robin! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!

Oh....and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Congratulations on a beautiful filly! And thanks so much for sharing your story - never know when that information might come in handy.

Wow, congrats!! Talk about timing! Sheesh!!!

That sounds like our last baby here. We had three this year upside down and that experience helped us be successful with the last one.

You are right about going in early and making sure you have the two feet. In our case I was able to put my hand around to the top of the head (which was upside down) and turn it to the proper position and then the baby was right there nose on top of two toes ready to deliver.........whew!

Congrats on the beautiful baby
wub.gif

what a cute lil girl! and look at that delicate little face
wub.gif
1 thing i've learned lately is to ALWAYS go with your gut feeling even if other people say you're being paranoid
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back