Guiness - anyone use it?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalbank

Reaction score
I've just remembered that some years ago I spoke to a lady who gave her mini a small amount of guiness to help with her anemia. My little lad is still very much under the weather and I'm wondering if he needs a bit of a boost and I've been told that minis can be susceptable to anemia.

I've heard this being used on Racehorses to and it goes way back, but guess it's got lost along the way.

My question is how much would you give - I mean what if you made your mini Drunk?
default_doh.gif

I love to use some of the older remedies and would love to hear from anyone who's used this before - may sound thick here, but not sure if it's just a UK thing?

I have no idea if it helps with anemia or not, but I have a mare who got it all last year. She cant sweat. We've tried every supplement under the sun to try and make her sweat. Nothing works. My vet ran out of idea's, and suggested we try Guiness, as people say it helps horses sweat. It didn't work, but my horse had the most amazing shine to her coat while she was on it
default_smile.png
We gave her 1/2 bottle a day. She loved it and ate it right up. Infact, she'd start talking when she heard the top pop off the bottle
default_rolleyes.gif
No idea if it works for anemia, but my 250 pound Mini was getting 1/2 bottle a day. I always ended up having the same cashier every time I went to the store to get it. I am pretty sure he thought I was an alcoholic and you know, he just didnt seem to believe me when I said it was for my horse
default_laugh.png

~Jen~

I don't know about the horses but it's nice to know I can now claim it's good for me as well as it's GOOD!
default_laugh.png

I don't know about the horses but it's nice to know I can now claim it's good for me as well as it's GOOD!
default_laugh.png

LOL. Ditto.

I seem to remember my mom saying that doctors prescribed it to her as a kid (raised in Glasgow, Scotland) for that kind of stuff (anemia etc.). I'm sure it can't hurt horses, but I'd check with your vet. I would probably just give a couple of oz. (can't get drunk on that
default_wink.png
)

Latest posts

Back