Greencastle sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I havent been thier in yrs and noticed they had an online catalog this yr. How where the prices? Any good horses????

a lot of excellent horses, prices very bad for the seller. Highest seller was a dwarf for $1000. After that it was downhill. Some people let their horses go for $35 which is lower than the consignment fee. I would say the average selling price was $100-$200. There were some really nice horses there for sale, and if one was there to buy they could get a good show string or great breeding program started. Sad day. It was our first time there and probably our last.

a lot of excellent horses, prices very bad for the seller. Highest seller was a dwarf for $1000. After that it was downhill. Some people let their horses go for $35 which is lower than the consignment fee. I would say the average selling price was $100-$200. There were some really nice horses there for sale, and if one was there to buy they could get a good show string or great breeding program started. Sad day. It was our first time there and probably our last.

I imagine this year was even worse than usual for prices with the cost of hay in many areas (and availability of hay, for that matter).

I imagine this year was even worse than usual for prices with the cost of hay in many areas (and availability of hay, for that matter).
Anyone have a list of the sale prices ? I have not been to this sale in years, when horse prices were good the prices at the sale were OK, and dwarfs were almost always the top sellers which was disturbing. I never bought or sold there as i like to have some control over where my horses go.

I went, not happy! I feel like I gave my horses away. I always stay till the end so I can talk to the buyers of my horses and I was not happy with the guy that bought one of mine. I think he was a flipper as he bought around 12 horses dirt cheap. One of mine, the mare went to a real nice guy for a pet, and one of my geldings went cheap but to a man that trains driving horses and makes harnesses, so I was happy there. Lots of show quality going for cheap, cheap, cheap! We had to spend an extra night because of the snow, met some new people that were very nice, and had good food. I'm with IONA, I don't think I'll be taking any more there to sell, we took a big lose, but as someone else said a few less mouths to feed and vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of wish I would have went now. There was a mare I was interested in. The consigner didn't send a picture of her, and when I requested a picture and a tiny bit of info from the sale, they never got back to me either way. Sad part is, I was expecting to pay about $1000 for the horse if it was what I was looking for. Couldnt justify spending the gas and 4.5 hour drive to go to the sale just to see if the mare might be something I was interested in. Probably a good thing I didnt go, at those prices, I would have probably bought more than I needed to...

Did anyone see Galahad Glow In The Dark, was she nice, what did she go for?

I liked the substitute colt "double down" too, but not enough info about him online, and he was only AMHA.

How were the prices on tack? Anyone know how much the mini corral pannels went for?

I was thinking about going too, I am glad I didn't. I would personally rather pay a little more for a private sale and know more of what I'm getting. It is the reality of the market. Things are bound to get better but we aren't going to breed more until they do.

Sorry for the repeat, not sure what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh these prices are aweful!! So glad I didnt go. Ugh!!!

I hope these prices rebound.

It's upsetting to hear the prices were so low, but hopefully all the horses went to great homes. I too hate to see the low $, but maybe in the long run it's better for the horses and the sellers to go ahead and move the horse. And it's obviously a great time to be a buyer! Just trying to maybe see the positive.
default_yes.gif

We came home with a timber ridge black filly for 400. shes very sweet and cute! The prices were very low.
You got an awesome filly very resonably priced. Your filly looks like her grandsire Little Kings Black Velvet. I got her to extend her neck for me and it was very hooky. she has a nice topline, straight legs, small little head with a large eye, and she will show well. If you take her to a breed show I can assure you she will place.

Did your friend buy one?

We are very happy with her. We named her Zoey. shes shy but realy sweet. she learned to walk and trot on the lead already, doesnt have the woah down yet lol. Shayna will start her in 4h this year and we will go from there. Im hoping she will want to do breed shows also but Shayna needs to get some confidence first. My friend didnt buy and the other friend didnt come because of the weather. Thanks for your help.

Glad I didn't make the trip. I sold the mare and foal I was going to bring as well as the trailer I was going to try to sell and I am betting I did much better in a private sale than driving 8 hours and dealing with that weather as well as the vet bill from the coggins and health certificate, motel, food, gas, etc.

Lucky break for me! I was going to meet Peas to send a horse for training but now she is picking him up next week and I am sure that will be cheaper than meeting her there!

Bet I would have come home with more horses than I would have gone there with, and would have ended up in the dog house at home!

I remember going to this sale a couple years in a row and both years dwarfs were the high selling horses. peeved me off though as the auctioneer said the one had been denied her papers by AMHA for being a dwarf and the auctioneer and owner stood firm that she was not. (she obviously was)

To me it is so very sad that a dwarf will bring more money than any normal Mini.Makes me think we still have a long way to go in educating the general public.Hopoe the buyer knows about care of a dwarf and will do what is right by it.Makes me angry that a breeder would even take a dwarf to an auction, but I am sure there are severasl breeders do it also.

The only dwarf that I saw there was a little sorrel named Dorothy, I think the other one advertised was a no show because of the weather. any way, I talked to the guy that bought the dwarf as he was leaving. Actually I was shocked as the little girl had straight legs and no roaching, good feet, but a real short neck and bad bite. If problems are to arise they will come later. He said he bought her for his grand children and had built a special stall for her in his garage, so she could stay warm since he was buying a dwarf he was concerned about arthritis. He also has other little horses, but not in the garage, he said this one will be treated special. He seemed very happy with his purchase and I don't know who the seller was. I do think this little one will be taken care of, I forgot where he said he was from, but a very nice man.

The other dwarf was there and had very twisted legs, I think she sold for 250 but not sure. On her one front she walked on her pastern and her hoof was sideways, she made me cry, If I had the know how and the money she would have came home with me. But I would not be able to pay for the many operations Im sure she needed. and the heartbreak of watching her hurt would have killed me. A couple other minis had some dwarf looks, like super short legs and long bodies but is that a dwarf or bad breeding?

//

Latest posts

Back