green beans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
When we were on our cruise, I ordered fresh green beans every single day, even if they weren't on the menu. They were wonderful. Tender, not soggy like mine. So it made me wonder....what the heck am I doing wrong? I steam mine for like....oh....20 minutes. They are always limp. But if I do it for a shorter time, they are raw tasting. And I love fresh green beans more than anything...with the possible exception of cheese cake.

As we were coming home on Wednesday, we passed a little produce stand and I bought a whole bag of fresh green beans. I'd love to cook them tonight but........I don't want a soggy, limp mess.

Surely someone out there has a foolproof method for making them? Please share.

(I'd put this in the food section but I'm afraid it wouldn't be seen in time for dinner. My bad.)

I only steam mine for 5-10 mins, depending on how big the beans are. 5 mins for the little thin ones, more like 10 for the bigger ones. I steam old-school, no microwave, with one of those Chinese petal-like little steamers.

Not much in the world I like better than fresh steamed green beans- yum!

I don't steam mine, I boil them. After snapping I put them in a pot with water add salt, pepper, and a chicken bulion cube and boil till tender. The only time I've ever had soggy beans was after cooking the frozen ones. I can at least 45 quarts every year, and I'm done for this year. We eat alot of green beans, last night we had green beans that were cooked mixed in with rice and then browned in the oven covered in parm and chedder cheese.

I don't steam mine, I boil them. After snapping I put them in a pot with water add salt, pepper, and a chicken bulion cube and boil till tender. The only time I've ever had soggy beans was after cooking the frozen ones. I can at least 45 quarts every year, and I'm done for this year. We eat alot of green beans, last night we had green beans that were cooked mixed in with rice and then browned in the oven covered in parm and chedder cheese.
OMG!!! That sound so good!!!
default_eat.gif

I will only eat fresh green beans... And I like them better than French fries!

When I steam or boil them I do go through the trouble of French cutting them, slicing them in half lengthwise. This helps cook them faster and not having them too crunchy. Or, buy the expensive haricot verts that are very thin green beans. Yep, I'm a connoisseur of them
default_smile.png

Lately I've been buying the steam-in-bag ones for the microwave. They are already trimmed and cleaned, so you literally just throw the bag in the microwave for 3 minutes and they're done. Our local Trader Joes carries a 24 oz bag of the skinny haricot verts to cook that way and Ivan consume almost a whole bag.

Oddly enough, I haven't been able to replicate the success of microwaving in a covered bowl or anything.... So if I buy loose green beans I laboriously just cut and steam in a pot.

Also, you can try steaming them a little and then when they are still a touch crunchy, you can sauté them in a pan with some olive oil and garlic until they are soft as you like, tasting their texture until done.

I am passionate about fresh green beans!!!

I will only eat fresh green beans... And I like them better than French fries!

When I steam or boil them I do go through the trouble of French cutting them, slicing them in half lengthwise. This helps cook them faster and not having them too crunchy. Or, buy the expensive haricot verts that are very thin green beans. Yep, I'm a connoisseur of them
default_smile.png

Lately I've been buying the steam-in-bag ones for the microwave. They are already trimmed and cleaned, so you literally just throw the bag in the microwave for 3 minutes and they're done. Our local Trader Joes carries a 24 oz bag of the skinny haricot verts to cook that way and Ivan consume almost a whole bag.

Oddly enough, I haven't been able to replicate the success of microwaving in a covered bowl or anything.... So if I buy loose green beans I laboriously just cut and steam in a pot.

Also, you can try steaming them a little and then when they are still a touch crunchy, you can sauté them in a pan with some olive oil and garlic until they are soft as you like, tasting their texture until done.

I am passionate about fresh green beans!!!

I did steam them last evening and we had them with our dinner. I carefully timed it 10minutes and they were perfect. Still a tad crunchy but not raw. Took them out of the steamer, added some butter and sea salt. They were incredible. Hubby isn't a huge fan of green beans like I am so I got to eat most of his, too. How cool was that????

But here's a question. Again, on the cruise I ordered them every day. They were nice and firm, obviously fresh beans that had been cooked but their color was nothing like the ones I cook. When I cook them, no matter what method, they are a um....sorta a muted green? But the ones on the ship were very bright green. I mean those suckers could have glowed in the dark! They were much prettier than mine. How did they do that? (besides the obvious addition of some green paint LOL)

Does a quick boil rather than a steam make that pretty color?

Steaming them should turn them (or any vegetable like asparagus or whatever) bright green. The quality of the produce may be a factor as well.

Restaurant secret for keeping any fresh veggie bright and colorful. quickly boil for 3-5 minutes, remove and plunge in to a bowl of ice water, this shocks them stopping the cooking process and brightens the color. Reheat and finish cooking for 3-5 min in sauté pan with olive oil, or butter , season with salt, pepper. Yum!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like mine with a bit of crunch, however I am much more a fan of grilling them.

Back