Unsloppy Joe Casserole

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
INGREDIENTS:

• 1 pound of 93% or 97% lean ground beef, or ground turkey (the kind that has both light and dark meat works much better than ground turkey breast)
  • 1 16oz package of thawed frozen pepper strips
  • Onion (dried minced or fresh diced or sliced
  • About 1-1.5 cups of catsup
  • 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
  • 1/3 cup of brown sugar (I don't use this much, but do use some splenda to "stretch" the sweetness)
  • Garlic powdwer to taste
  • couple teaspoons of worchestshire sauce
  • Canned refridgerated biscuits (reduced fat ones work great in this)

(NOTE: for the "sauce", I don't really measure but do it to taste. If you do use the lean mean, you don't really have to drain the meat as there is very little fat).

STEPS:

1. In a large pot w/ a lid, start to brown your meat on a low setting and put the pepper strips and onions in the pot at the same time. Keep the lid on it between stirring it. You want the peppers to cook, too, and if you are using dried minced onions like I do, you want the onions to rehydrate in the steam.
  2. Once the meat is browned, drain the fat if any
  3. Then mix the sauce ingredients in, starting with the catsup... you can adjust it to your taste and I'm sure you could also used canned sauce, like "Manwich" with good results
  4. Spray a casserole pan with Pam, and then press biscuits into the bottom of the pan. I flatten them first with my hands.
  5. Pour the meat mixture into the biscuit lined pan
  6. You can optionally top it with more bisuits (I don't, only because I count carbs a bit)
  7. Bake it at 350 for about 30 minutes

We like this a lot with green beans or mixed veggies and apple sauce... but those are my perpetual "go to" sides
default_biggrin.png

It reminds me of what my Grandma Maude used to make, only I think this is even better and I know it is a lot healthier!!!

Hope some of you will give this one a try
default_eat.gif

PS when I make this, I freeze 1/2 of the meat mixture, and use 1/2 a can of biscuits per casserole as I'm making just what we eat in one night (Iput 1/2 a can of biscuits in a zip lock bag and put it in the fridge). In case some of you also are cooking for small numbers.

PS some recipes online call for adding cheese on top of this... I did make it that way 1x, but actually like it better w/o cheese. But, some of you may want to put some cheese either on top of the meat mixture, or between it and the bottom layer of biscuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Jill! You have some great recipes! This sounds so yummy! Don't stop throwing these out here! I love writing them down and sharing them w/ my mom!

We really like this for dinner, and it's up again tonight. I did put a layer of pepper strips between the "sloppy joe" mixture and the biscuits for dinner tonight. I hope that turns out well! (in the fridge until this evening!).

Latest posts

Back