Great Pyrenees

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floridachick

Reaction score
OK we have Great Pyrenees and they are my absolute favorite breed in the world. Is there a need for more GUardian dogs? DO you have one? What price do you think is fair for a 3 month old puppy, trained and brought up with livestock?

There are so many in rescues already...

I would only breed if you can presell the litter on speuter contracts with terms that require the pup be returned if rehoming is necessary.

I've groomed too many of these dogs who were neglected, and it's a sad thing to work with. :no:

If you were only closure- plan on moving to Canada anytime soon :bgrin We are in the market for a large dog that gets along with livestock( 6 months and up) - but I don't run into many people on the same mission as myself- I would pay upward of $600- if the dog was spayed / netured - and am aware that is not alot of money for what is put into the dog.

Tiffany

Forgot to add for my purposes registration is a non issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad had one. Very nice dog!!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

I adopted a Pyrenees this past spring and I am very glad I did as Suzie has turned out to be a fantastic dog. Not only is she a wonderful guard dog, she is a great companion for the foals, especially when you have only one on the ground. She absolutely loves Jinx, but everyone around here does. I knew when Blue was close to foaling as Suzie would not leave the stall door and tried several times to get in the stall when I was going in to check Blue.

Here is a picture from this Summer of Suzie playing with my mom's Maltipooh. (Maltese x Poodle - suppose to have been a pure bred Maltese, but that's another story). Sunny snuck into the pasture and him and Suzie hit it off.
default_yes.gif
:

suziesunny.jpg

We have Great Pyr's here too and occasionally will have a litter. Here in Ohio we sell our as LIMITED reg spay neuter contract for 300.00. We bought our in California and paid 800.00 each. They are great dogs for the right people. If you are asking what price for that pup not a lot. Three months is still young enough to adopt as a Guardian, if they get older a lot of people would be leary as getting them as a guardian because you want them with YOUR livestock from a young age. Our last litter of 8 pups only three went to be livestock guardians. ALthough our dogs are guarding 24/7 we interact with them heavily and so do the kids. The Mom is broght inside to raise her pups and the are handled by the kids daily. All our pups were VERY friendly and could be pets or guardians. I just mention this because they are getting a rep as a good family dog and therfore you might have a lot responding wanting a pet.

I've got a female, paid $150 for her. She is pretty good with the goats except she can dig a crater in no time! :eek: Other than that I like her better than my anatolian shephard. I'll trade you my anatolian for a GP.

I've been giving a lot of thought to getting one. Just found that someone who lives fairly near me raises them. Sure wish you who have them would tell me more about 'em. Do they live with the horses? Do they need frequent grooming? How do you train them to get along with the horses (or is it just a natural trait)?

Would appreciate any and all info for a prospective buyer!!

My experience when it comes to LGD's. You can find them in the papers or in shelters for $50.00 and up, but no knowledge of their ability to work. From good breeders you will see prices of $500 to $1500 depending on bloodlines show records, guardian ability and guarantees.

The better breeders screen for genetic defects, guarantee for health, offer buyer support, have acclimated the dogs to the stock they will guard and sell the pups already sneutered/castrated for 1000-1500 with a return policy if the dog does not work out.

I always reccomend a breeder who will help with questions and wants to be involved throughout the dog's life. The breeder who answers questions and helps troublehoot. The breeder who wants to be involved in rehoming if that is ever neccessary.

If I buy a 50.00+ dog from the shelter I do not expect much, if I pay for a dog from a breeder I expect a friendship to last a dog's lifetime
default_wink.png
:

The importance of health testing is another excellent point to consider...

We love our Pyrs and they are all Eye, Elbow, hip ckd. I will never have another breed of dog. They are the most loyal, protective, and loving breed. We have Labs, a Pitbull, Rotti and a Corgi as well and hands down the working dogs are the most loved. They are very unique. Here they are as growing pups with haircuts. Normally they are never clipped, but 2 boys came in with fleas and it was so hot it was better to start fresh. ;)

Picture694.jpg

Here is my all time favorite boy Orion at 7 months old
Picture691.jpg

We have only one now. THe oldest passed away a year ago at 15. We got the current one from Missouri at a private rescue.

She is worth her wait in gold. She is protective of humans and animals. If anybody enters her barn, she will growl until we call her off.

She is very good with the animals. She was in a rescue because she was going to be put to sleep due to lack of black around her eyes makeing her not breed standerd.

WE didnt care about that. Shes a good dog.

Would love another but there are very few around here, and rescues here wont let you have them unless they are house pets, or totally fenced in property. OUrs isnt fenced, she stays around with out a problem.

So I guess until we make it back to Missouri or find a pup that isnt handled by humans and raised with stock then we will be with only one.

Here is the old girl who is no longer with us. Loved this dog, couldnt ask for a better one.

sheba.jpg

Mine live with the horses 24/7/365. They protect them and our property from predators. They have a natural tendency to guard their "family" whatever they view as that and have a natural tendency to be very careful with young ones (dogs, horses, sheep). Of course I say tendency as not every dog will work as a guardian but the breed is predisposed to do that work. They can be food aggressive, males tend to not get along with any other males, they BARK a lOT!. They tend to not be people aggressive so you can have a livestock guardian that will be an alarm against people but you should be able to bring farm visitors in and show off your horses without fear of lawsuits!! They as a breed tend to have less genetic faults than say GSD but still elbows, hips, dwarfism are concerns.

We have an Anatolian Shepherd, and we LOVE her. She lives with the horses, and has access to the barn so she can eat separate from the horses, but her favorite place to be is right in the middle of wherever "her" horses are. She's great with children, very friendly and gentle. I am completely sold on having Livestock Guardian Dogs (of which there are several different breeds) and will definitely get another in the future! :aktion033:

My GP live with the horses full time. I used to have pygmy goats, and the dogs loved them. They protect the horses as well. When we go to a show and take all the horses, the male dog goes crazy!!! He doesn't like us taking away his family and his job.

I have found that my male (Justice) barks more at other animals, and the female (Freedom) barks more at cars and people. So, I have a good mix with them. My male is not food agressive at all. He is a perfect gentleman. He will let his "bride" eat first, he spoils her!!! :bgrin

They do require daily grooming, or you will have a huge white matted fur ball, found out that the hard way.

They are a very gentle breed for their size. My male weighs about 150, and female about 110.

I am totally amazed to hear some of the prices these dogs are selling for from what others have posted. I paid about $150 each. If someone is thinking about getting one as a LGD, please do your research to make sure this is the exact breed you want, they deserve the very best. I love my Justice and Freedom.

Latest posts

Back