Grass belly or Gas belly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady Lavender

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first summer with my miniature horses and I'm concerned about my Lady Lavender, I don't know if she is in danger of colic or if she naturally gets huge grass belly when she grazes. She doesn't exhibit any of the signs of colic but she looks like she swallowed a giant football. I keep her in a dry lot paddock four days a week and let her graze the other three. When she is in her paddock she gets hay (coastal) daily and a cup of Miniature Horse and Pony once a day, I was told not to give her pellets in the summer but she looks so pitiful when I pass by the bin and don't give her just a little taste.

She looks fine weight wise but as soon as she grazes for even one day *POOF* fat pony. I worm her every other month and alternate wormers but even so I gave her a three day course of Safe Guard just in case. It didnt seem to change anything.

What am I doing wrong with her? My other three minis never look like she does after grazing. Should she not be allowed to graze? She was not allowed to graze more than a few hours a day during the spring. I started a temporary job in May and am now gone ten to twelve hours a day and I'm not able to watch over her and the others the way I want to. Thankfully, the job will be finished in September. I miss my babies!

Thank you for any advice.

With kind regards,

Katrina

How long are you grazing her?

My girl gets a big grass belly, I only grazze her a hour or two.

I hope someone with more info can help you.

Recent research has just been published on grazing horses. It found that horses on restricted grazing (I think they used 4 hours per day) actually stuffed themselves crazily with the grass once allowed on it and comsumed MORE than those animals allowed out 24/7. Those animals allowed out full time wandered about, nibbled slowly and spent many hours just snoozing, whereas those on restricted grass (inspite of plenty of normal feed and hay when away from the grass) put their heads down and literally gobbled as fast as they could without stopping while on the pasture.

I'm not suggesting that you keep your girl out 24/7 (although mine are, but I know that most mini owners dont agree with this), but would suggest that her increased belly could be due to her 'over eating' on the grazing on the days that she has access. Is it possible that you could let her have daily grazing (say the mornings) and find someone who could fetch her into your dry lot on the days that you are working?

I know a lot of people aren't fans of them, but another thing to consider would be a grazing muzzle; it would slow her down but shouldn't interfere with her ability to drink and consume enough forage to stay healthy.

Recent research has just been published on grazing horses. It found that horses on restricted grazing (I think they used 4 hours per day) actually stuffed themselves crazily with the grass once allowed on it and comsumed MORE than those animals allowed out 24/7. Those animals allowed out full time wandered about, nibbled slowly and spent many hours just snoozing, whereas those on restricted grass (inspite of plenty of normal feed and hay when away from the grass) put their heads down and literally gobbled as fast as they could without stopping while on the pasture.
This has been my experience. One of my 4 year olds will do exactly what you're describing Katrina. I've found that her belly goes back to "normal" after a couple of hours off of the pasture. I use grazing muzzles to help minimize this. Unfortunately, one of my horses has to be kept off pasture 100% of the time right now due to EMS and that means one of the 4 year olds has to stay out of the pasture to keep her company.

I have a mar with a grass belly. Everyone asks me when she is due...and I say "no foal, just fat". I tried everything, locking her up in a paddock, doubling her exercise and finally, resorted to a grazing muzzle. I agree with the earlier post about limiting grazing. My mare would absolutely gorge herself if only allowed out for a small time, where as now she is out all day with a muzzle and she paces herself. I got my grazing muzzle at Jeffers because it has a quick release crown incase she gets hung up in it. I also maintain her on probios which seem to significantly help her digest the grass better. If your horse has a gas belly he/she would more than likely be exhibiting signs of colic or stress.

Latest posts

Back