Gracie's Mini Mommas' To Be Page- All done foaling! Five Healthy Foals!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooooo so do I.
default_yes.gif

You are now at the stage where popping to go to the loo or to make a cup of coffee could be a big mstake, and things like taking a shower have to be left on the back burner. LOL!!

Good luck and safe foaling.
default_thumbup.gif

Wow! Poor Lexi definitely looks ready to pop! About time haha ;)

Can't wait to check in in the morning and see if there is a little foal!

Good luck, happy and safe foaling!

I just finished the 3am feeding of the kittens & am now staring at the tv monitor. Lexi & Fancy are both quiet. Lexi is down sternal right now resting peacefully.

Good morning! No baby blessings to report. I was hoping to find that Lexi would have her milk in the morning but it's still clear. She is rubbing hunks of her tail hair out.

One weird thing to report is that Fancy squalered & "talked" like a stallion at Lexi through the fence this morning. The only other mare I had do this foaled that same day but Fancy would have to go to Costco & the mall to shop enough to be ready.

I've had plenty of mares foal with clear colostrum. It's the stickiness that's important. In fact, most of my mares don't get white milk until well after foaling. Hours usually. The colostrum has been clear to amber colored and that takes a number of hours with a foal nursing before it turns white. So keep watching. And so will we.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had plenty of mares foal with clear colostrum. It's the stickiness that's important. In fact, most of my mares don't get white milk until well after foaling. Hours usually. The colostrum has been clear to amber colored and that takes a number of hours with a foaling nursing before it turns white. So keep watching. And so will we.
default_smile.png
Really? I have never had a "big" mare ever foal without their milk coming in!! It will vary from non fat looking milk to pure milk cream in color, but always milk colored. OK, these minis WILL (have) drive me crazy. With you telling me that these girls will foal with clear liquid, I will for sure be sleeping with one eye open. Lexi's clear fluid is very sticky almost like glue. Its really has gotten sticky in the last 36 hours. She just now triggered the alarm because she was sleeping flat out in the sunshine, legs sticking straight out. She gave my hubby a heart attack because he went out to check her. He thought she was foaling until she rose up on sternum and looked at him with an evil eye, scratched her chin and went flat out and back to snoozing.

Sandy, yes, miniature mares' milk rarely turns white before foaling. I've probably foaled out 200+ miniature mares and I would say only 5% might have white milk before foaling. So don't expect that to happen!

My maiden mare who foaled 2 weeks ago had colostrum that was completely clear when she foaled. Super sticky, though. That's the best indicator of impending delivery. Not the color!

Thanks Becky for the heads up about the clear colostrum. We are watching her like a hawk already but will watch her even closer. Even Fancy we are watching since she is 345 days. Her squalling and carrying on like a stud tells me her hormones are doing something.

Both girls just got turned out for their afternoon of grazing. The weather is gorgeous and perfect for foaling. Wish they would foal during the day out on the grass in the warm sun
default_yes.gif

I can't remember who it was but about a week ago someone on here said their mare was acting weird like a stallion, well they foaled that night
default_yes.gif

I can't remember who it was but about a week ago someone on here said their mare was acting weird like a stallion, well they foaled that night
default_yes.gif
My quarter horse mare did that this year. She was acting so stallion like that day that we had to lock her in her stall and out of the paddock, away from other horses. She foaled late that afternoon, but she had a full bag of milk though where Fancy is major lacking in the department even though she is 345 days today. Fancy is out with Lexi now grazing and is acting fine now though. Weird stuff!

I think that might have been Mira on Easter. I led her out of her stall and she strutted with her tail up, neck arched, and nickering to the other mares! Foaled within 2 HOURS!!!

They just got brought in from turnout and both are acting cranky, doing a lot of itching, foot stomping, tails raised..... Basically miserable acting over due mare syndrome. Sitting here watching Grace ride her QH gelding so I get to watch every move they are making.

I personally went out to check the three other mini girls that are all due to foal from this next month. They have all started their shopping sprees and seem to be almost Fancy in their purchases, so Fancy better get busy. I decided to take a couple pictures of these girls and introduce them to you. Please forgive their unkept "natural" appearances, they have not been to Gracie & Sandy's Spa yet.

Oak Grove Legends Jasmine (30.5") She typically foals at 330 days. May 18th is 340 days

Image 11.jpgImage 7.jpg

Windermeres Angelfire (31") She typically went close to 340 days which is May 24th.

Image 12.jpgImage 8.jpg

LDR Uno Mas Margarita (34") AMHA Res World Champion Weanling. Another one with a history of going close to 340 days which is June 1.

I am a bit concerned about her weight. She is on the thin side and is out on pasture all day, is fed alfalfa/orchard grass hay and is in Purina Mini Horse Grain and is on a regular de-worming program. This is the same program as all the other mini girls and they look great. Any thoughts?

Image 10.jpgImage 9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back