Got my show gelding!!!! Total suprise!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGStables

Reaction score
Well today I went to pick up a riding pony I bought, hes a 13.2hh pinto I feel more comfortable on small horses as im starting back riding after being hurt bad (broken pelvis). Low and behold I know the lady we didnt even realize it which was hillarious. She needs to down size because of the draught. My friend bought her 12hh pony for her daughter so we where hauling them back together. She tells me she has a Mini Gelding she'd like to rehome she had said nothing about him earlier I think it came about because she knows me. Well he's mine now! He is GORGEOUS he isn't A or R registered but I was just planing on local shows, hes 42'' a bit bigger but they allow that height in mini classes her that arent rated shows for registered minis. His name is Jack his reg PtHA name is ''Bid On Blackjack' hes 3 years old, he's super well put together broke to show halter, drive, and ride. i will post pictures later we are on the road heading home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here he is! He has incredible movement! He blew me away when I let him out in the pasture. He has a grazing muzzle on as he isn't use to such lush grass.

He is registered as a Black Tobiano but he has a ton of roaning, do you think it is Sabino causing that?

418577_3996878878292_1451739846_n.jpg
533257_3996842997395_818581681_n.jpg
533257_3996842877392_1888290449_n.jpg
533257_3996842837391_1497330262_n.jpg

Very nice gelding, congratulations. But you won't be able to show him as a mini since he is a pony. At 44", he wouldn't have A or R papers anyway so by definition is not a mini. But he looks like he is a wonderful moving pony.

Where I am they do not restrict heights in Open Mini classes very much I sticked him at 42" and I have seen 46" horses in Mini classes as long as they where refined and looked the mini part.

Handsome fellow.

I don't know the rules, but looks like he's qualify for pinto registration (I think they still hardship if color/pattern is right).

Wow what a beautiful horse to just come across!!! You got lucky!! I love his coloring and movement!! Would be a pretty driving pony!
default_smile.png

wow! I can see your little stallion in the background, how'd did he like him?

very flashy pony, always a fan of the black and white patterns
default_smile.png

He's flashy but he's a pony, not a mini. A 42" pony is a full HAND or 4" taller than any mini. Why would even a little local show call it a "mini" class if it's not limited to miniature horses? Minis / ponies... both are great, but they are not the same. I don't know why someone would consider a class that doesn't limit size to 38" and under a "mini" class. I can imagine 101 fun things to do with him, but showing him as a mini isn't one of them.

I am sorry you feel that way Jill but it's just open shows out here unless we go to sryacuse. Most our fun shows are to benefit therapy programs and stuff so its helping others. Big and medium ponies aren't allowed to show in mini. A few bigger open shows i do restrict it I am just having fun with him, no hormones to deal with and hes a smart young gelding.

He is PtHA registered :) it opens him up to alot of classes here. He's trainers to show halter, in hand trail, in hand jumping, and he has been driven.

Goodness, let the girl show him in her open classes. Just the silliest comments.

Congrats on your new boy! I hope you have a lot of fun with him in whatever classes you choose.

Thanks ohmt! Im sure I will, hes a little nervous poor guy figure give him a week and he will relax.

Well, Amanda, I think e thing we should all appreciate and let others know is a basic: WHAT is a miniature horse. I've never heard a definition that included a height above 38". People shouldn't be encouraged to contribute wrong information, even at open shows where many people get (or think they get) their first impressions of minis.

Very pretty, I am sure you will have lots of fun with him. It is so nice to go on a drive in the cool of the morning.

It's an open show Jill, not anything rated-it's for fun.

I'm sure your concerns would be better given to the people putting on the show anyway and not the person who has bought a gelding and just expressed she'd like to show for fun. They could better help you with your concerns
default_smile.png

Let the poor girl enjoy her excitement.

Maybe they read LB? Or the OP can educate them about how tall minis can be. Nothing at all wrong with open shows. I've enjoyed them too... But I feel it's a shame to let misinformation about minis be perpetuated. How many of us would have initially been drawn in to the breed if we thought minis were 44"? Seriously...

I say "you go for it girl"
default_smile.png
You got yourself a little beauty there and I bet the two of you will have a lot of fun together. I bet he'll do really well at the open shows you're planning on taking him to
default_smile.png

Good luck and have a blast - he's very handsome !!!

How many go to an open show thinking that the classes reflect the registries?

Have never been to one so I don't even know. I do know the OP has actual minis that she shows as well so I'm sure there are few that would mistake this new boy for any of her little ones.

Nicole-are most of the people you show with fairly educated about your minis?

Back