Gonna maybe give it a go....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
{{{ANXIOUS SIGHS}}}
default_unsure.png

Whewboy, ok, there's a show coming up this coming Thanksgiving weekend. Lots going on, with tentative plans sort of still in the air. In that, our son is PRAYERFULLY COMING HOME from Iraq soon, although we don't know for sure "exactly when", just yet.
default_unsure.png

But, just in case he isn't home in time to be with us for Thanksgiving, we will try to just do as he asked us, and that is to "carry on as if he never left us". Lord have mercy. Hard as that has been at times, we've tried to do his bidding as he asked of us...to just "carry on" like life here on the "homefront" is all just normal daily life.

That said, we hope and pray he WILL be home with us by then. However, in the offchance the timing of his homecoming stretches beyond the TG holiday weekend, then we feel we may as well try to give a go at taking our mare, Bridgy, to a show. If we do go ahead, then THIS will be our very first time ever, without our son or a trainer showing for us. Our son used to show our horses for us way back when he was little, about 10 or 11, he's 23 now. Gosh, time sure flies. We haven't had any of our horses in a ring since then, till earlier this year when we had a trainer for the very first time ever too, showing our mare for us.

Well, this being the start of a "new season", so to speak, being that Nationals & Worlds for 2008 is past now, we hope to get a head start toward "hopefully" getting qualified toward 2009. So.... I'm hesitant almost, but excited at the same time, anxious as all get out, but excited...as this will be "my" very first time EVER in a show ring, period! (Except for "many many moons ago, back when I used to show my QH Stallion at Western Speed Shows and Trick riding, etc.) As for "mini stuff" though, I myself have NEVER been in a show ring, just always at "ring side" coaching our son, from watching others way back when, and watching our trainers earlier this year. Even though I have only ever "watched" from the sidelines, I still have pretty much NO IDEA what I'll be doing...so am pretty much going to be just winging it...if I actually do get the nerve to actually take the nose dive and go in???? Still sort of undecided, but at least leaning toward the possibility...after all these years.
default_wacko.png
I still might chicken out, I dunno... I need to keep listening to things my son used to say to me, like when he'd tell me, "Make like the Nike commercial, and JUST DO IT". LOL. I dunno... I want to, but we'll see if actually do, I guess. There again though, even going, all depends on whether or not our son will be HOME by that weekend or not. If he's home, then we definately will NOT even be there, as we'll be up in NC to visit with him. But, if he's not home yet, heaven forbid, then we'll try to just "carry on" and perhaps actually wander on into the show realm for ourselves.

If in the off chance, that it be the case that we DO end up at the show that weekend... before I jump off with both feet, I have a BUCKET LOAD of questions....
default_unsure.png
I hope ya'll don't mind...

1. Will there be a class (like I've seen at shows this past year) offered where a TOTAL NEWBIE like me could enter, for the "experience" of it? Without it counting against the horse or handler?

2. If so, in this class, would the horse be required to be "show ready", like total body shaved, etc.? or can I show her in full coat, but show just for the "experience" of it?

3. If it's required that my mare be "show ready", will there be someone at the show who could help me with getting her body shaved? I can do this myself, but NO WAY can I make her look as gorgeous as she did with the clip job that was done on her "professionally" with our trainers ealier this year. I'd be gratefull, if anyone might can help with a "professional" clip job...please advise if this is possible, or even permitted???

4. In looking at the show class premiums for that weekend, on the "AMHR" day, I see 2 classes called "PMC Mare or Gelding, 38" & Under, Any Age" & "PMC Gelding/Mares 38" & Under". What does "PMC" mean, and what is the difference between these 2 classes?

5. In the AMHR day, there are classes offered as "Model Mare 2 yrs. & Older" and "Aged Mare 3 & Older 30" & Under". What are the differences of these, and which is most beneficial to the mare to show in?

6. In looking at the show class premiums for that weekend, on the "AMHA" day, I see 3 classes called "Sr. Mare 28" & Under" & "Amateur Level I Sr. Mare 30" Under" & "Amateur Level II Sr. Mare 30" & Under". What do the different levels mean?

Lastly, if I do actually go in the ring... is it counted against me, or my mare, if I don't "run" with her in halter? I'll try to walk as fast as I can, I just never know when my hip is gonna snap out on me, so I may seem sort of "off gait" alongside her. Do the judges count that against you (or the horse) if you can't keep stride consistent along with the horse?

Whewboy, I dunno, maybe I just better not even try a halter class, and just stick to trying to find a driving mare to show???? {{{Heavy sighs}}}

Please forgive, if some might consider these as silly questions, and I'm sure I'll likely have many more in follow up.
default_sad.png
I am really just now learning as I go. I realize I have been "in minis" for several years, and should full well know all this long by now, but it's been several years since showing with our son, so I am sort of in the process just now, of sort of "re-learning" all this all over again. I'd be grateful for any help.
default_wub.png

If we do end up going... I sure hope I don't chicken out. Whew boy!!! This is such a HUGE step for me, even after all these years. Gosh...ESPECIALLY, after all these years.
default_wacko.png
I'm sort of excited, but feeling "jelly legged" already, and yet it's still a couple weeks away...if we do go.
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Moly sister! You've got a LOT going on at once!
default_new_shocked.gif
Take a deep breath.
default_laugh.png

I'll try to answer some of your questions, but I'm sure other will know more.

1. Will there be a class (like I've seen at shows this past year) offered where a TOTAL NEWBIE like me could enter, for the "experience" of it? Without it counting against the horse or handler?

If it's not listed on the show bill, then probably the class won't be offered. It's usually called something like "So, you wanna show a horse?" class. Or Novice Class.

2. If so, in this class, would the horse be required to be "show ready", like total body shaved, etc.? or can I show her in full coat, but show just for the "experience" of it?

In my opinion, no. But others may feel it's required.

3. If it's required that my mare be "show ready", will there be someone at the show who could help me with getting her body shaved? I can do this myself, but NO WAY can I make her look as gorgeous as she did with the clip job that was done on her "professionally" with our trainers ealier this year. I'd be gratefull, if anyone might can help with a "professional" clip job...please advise if this is possible, or even permitted???

That's probably asking a lot. If you consider they will probably have their own horses to get ready. I would suggest if you don't want to/or can't do it on your own, that you work it out with someone prior to the show so they can set aside the time to help you.

4. In looking at the show class premiums for that weekend, on the "AMHR" day, I see 2 classes called "PMC Mare or Gelding, 38" & Under, Any Age" & "PMC Gelding/Mares 38" & Under". What does "PMC" mean, and what is the difference between these 2 classes?

PMC stands for Physically/Mentally Challenged. I don't know the requirements but you can find it on the AMHR and AMHA websites under PMC rules. The PMC classes at World this year were great! Lot's of participation.
default_smile.png

5. In the AMHR day, there are classes offered as "Model Mare 2 yrs. & Older" and "Aged Mare 3 & Older 30" & Under". What are the differences of these, and which is most beneficial to the mare to show in?

Model mare is where the mare just goes in and stands to be judged. No trotting of the horse. It's just an additional class that AMHR shows offer. In the model class you are showing against all "under" or all "over" mares, whereas in the Ages Mare class it would just be those that are 30" or under.

6. In looking at the show class premiums for that weekend, on the "AMHA" day, I see 3 classes called "Sr. Mare 28" & Under" & "Amateur Level I Sr. Mare 30" Under" & "Amateur Level II Sr. Mare 30" & Under". What do the different levels mean?

Sr Mare 28 & Under is an "open" class meaning amateurs and trainers (and youth) can show in it. Anybody can show in an "open" class. The two ammy classes are just that - for amateurs. The difference is in the "experience" of the amateur. You must have an Am card to show in those classes and I'm assuming based on your post that you would be in Level 1 (like me!).

Lastly, if I do actually go in the ring... is it counted against me, or my mare, if I don't "run" with her in halter? I'll try to walk as fast as I can, I just never know when my hip is gonna snap out on me, so I may seem sort of "off gait" alongside her. Do the judges count that against you (or the horse) if you can't keep stride consistent along with the horse?

I've seen lots of people who didn't "run" with their horse. I personally just fast-walk mostly. I've personally never seen it held against someone. I guess at the National or World show where the competition is so tough that it could make a difference because the judge may not see your horses "big" trot if your holding them back a bit so they don't go too fast for you.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about any of this stuff (I know, easier said then done) and just go and enjoy. That's what showing is all about - fun!

Tanya, I hope you do show, and I know Bridget will do well, she knows what it's all about. I think most of your questions have already been answered. You may want to check with Roger and Dale as they may have time to clip Bridget, if not you could not possibly do as bad a job as Ruth and I did when we clipped our horses for the first time.

My advice to you, as your son says, Just Do It. It was just three short years ago that Ruth and I attended MINI-O-RAMA as spectators where we realized if we didn't take that big first step to show we would forever be watching from the sidelines. We always have the attidude that we are doing this for fun and whatever happens, happens. Once in a while we even win, but its all in fun.

I want to remind you and Lee and anyone else that the Florida Miniature Horse Club will be providing a Thanksgiving feast on Thursday afternoon for all participants as most entries will be arriving on Thursday afternoon.There will also be a meeting of the FMHC after the meal where new club officers will be elected.

Ruth and I will only be showing in the AMHR show on Friday as all of our kids will be home from college for the holiday and we will be spending time with family as we don't get to see them as often anymore. As it stands right now we will have Thanksgiving lunch at our house, drive to Ocala for the meeting, eat again, drive back home, then go back Friday morning with the horses. Ruth will not leave the horses alone for the night, so we will be busy EARLY friday morning.

If there is anything Ruth and I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.

I guess we could bring our 28" mare to compete with Bridget but right now our little Holly is about 28" high and 28 feet around, a real porko.LOL

Hope to see you there.

Gary

Thanks so much for all your help Parmela.
default_wub.png

Model mare sounds like an easy one, LOL, if we only have to stand there and let the mare do all the work, LOL. Is that a "pointed" class that would help her, or is it just an "elective" type class? If it's not a "pointed" one, it sounds like it might be a good one for "starter practice"???

On the Ammy levels, yep, I guess I'd be a Level I.
default_wink.png
How far along into showing do we have to do go before we know we've become a Level II? How do we know when that time comes? Is it counted by the number of times you show in a class? How is that calculated?

The different levels of amatuers is broken down in the AMHA rulebook and I belive the registry actually keeps track of when one moves into Level II. I'm at work now and I don't have a rule book in front of me.

You may want to show Bridget in "color" class as that is easy and the horses are judged solely on color, just walking in one direction, then turn and walk the other direction.

You will both do fine.

Gary

Hi Gary,

LOL, you must have posted while I was reading/typing too, LOL. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope I don't chicken out, LOL. Ugh...we'll see I guess. Please do bring your mare too??? Bridgy has gotten a little "porko" too, I'm almost embarrassed to admit.
default_unsure.png
I know when Roger and Dale see her, they might feel inclined to reprimand me on that, LOL. I know she's not in "show shape" like she was over the summer, but still, I want to at least "try" to just give it a go", mainly for the fun and experience of it. I know her "pudginess" will drop her in placements, but I'm ok with that, just wanna go have fun, LOL.

Thanks for the invite too, to the TG Dinner. WOW! If Dusty isn't HOME, we may just drop in for a bite, LOL. Do we need to bring anything?

The different levels of amatuers is broken down in the AMHA rulebook and I belive the registry actually keeps track of when one moves into Level II. I'm at work now and I don't have a rule book in front of me.
You may want to show Bridget in "color" class as that is easy and the horses are judged solely on color, just walking in one direction, then turn and walk the other direction.

You will both do fine.

Gary
ROFL, simultaneously posting again, ROFL!
default_laugh.png
Thanks so much for the tips. I might take her in color then too.
default_smile.png

Oh, we can bring BUCKET LOADS of "that", LOL!
default_laugh.png
We have to be "good" though, we've both been on a diet the last couple months, and so far we're doing well with it.
default_aktion033.gif
Lee's lost over 30 lbs (and looks AWESOME), and I've lost 19 (and don't feel nor look any different
default_wacko.png
) ...so far.
default_aktion033.gif
The "holidays" are going to be "The Test" for us now though, LOL.
default_yes.gif
Maybe we better leave the "Bucket Loads" of appetite at home and just come for some "nibbles", LOL.
default_laugh.png

I'm hoping with all my heart that my Dusty will be HOME, but just in case, he wants us to keep forging on...so we may still be there. I hate all this "not knowing for sure" though.
default_wacko.png
Either way, I just hope everyone there has an AWESOMELY BLESSED & FAMILY FILLED THANKSGIVING....and FUN TIME SHOWING to boot!
default_wub.png

If Dusty is still not home though, I'm TOTALLY COUNTING on THIS SHOW to distract me from THAT!
default_wink.png

First of all, Please thank your son for his service! I'm sure you are very proud of him, and we are extremely grateful for courageous young people like him. May God bring him home safe and sound, and in time for Turkey!!

Showing is nerve racking, but fun too! Remember, everybody out there started where you are now. Nobody was "born" in the show ring (that I'm aware of
default_laugh.png
)

Just remember to breathe. Relax and Drop your shoulders as you walk in, and enjoy! Focus on your little mare, and she will do you proud!

Thanks so much Ruffian!
default_wub.png
default_smile.png
I definately need all the encouragement I can get.
default_cheekkiss.gif

I will also definately pass your sentiments on to my son. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
default_wub.png

Gosh, I guess I better get busy with looking for an "outfit" too, huh?
default_laugh.png

Here is a pic of Bridgy taken just this past weekend at our last Fall Festival of the year. She's in her "Fall Fuzz" coat already, and definately "porkified", LOL.
default_unsure.png

FF-2008-16.jpg

Hmmm... I just realized in this pic, her "pinto markings" resemble a "picket fence", LOL. I know it's just the shadow cast of the actual fence, LOL, but thought it was kinda "neato" how that turned out like that, LOL.
default_laugh.png

While I'm at it, here's a pic of my Grandson, Wyatte at the festival too...his first one, isn't he a cute "Lil Punkin"?
default_wub.png

FF-2008-13.jpg

If you might like to see more photos and some brief video footage of the evening fun, here is a YouTube link:

default_wink.png
Thanks so much for letting me share.
default_wub.png

Hope to see ya'll soon, at the upcoming show fun too!
default_saludando.gif

You need to go - have fun. I know your first choice is to be in NC with your son and don't blame you a bit. In fact, I will miss the show because I'll be in TN visiting my husband (although I may make it for Sunday on my way home). Mini-O-Rama is so much fun and the Thanksgiving dinner is great. It will seem weird to me not to be there, but you know how priorities are.

Go for it girl and have a great time!!!! Get your feet wet!

Barbie

Go for it. Once you get your feet wet--so to speak--you will never look back. Don't worry about how you and your horse look. We all had to start somewhere. If you cannot get your horse clipped, then take her anyway. Just make sure she is clean and neat as possible. Go out there and smile--heck, you probably won't be able to stop. It doesn't matter where you place in any class you enter. What matters is that you have fun doing it. Once you get started, you can spend more time learning and practicing what you think needs to be done. I would do an amateur class and a color class. If you want to do open, then place her in senior mare in her size division. Who knows, you could get lucky and get a couple of Hall of Fame points.

So just do it--polish up them there boots and smile.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

How exciting...........on a lot of fronts. Prayers and thanks to your son.

Go out there and show.........If I can do it anyone can...........It was a fun experience.....

Here are some hints from me.....the most show challenged person.

I needed some type of cloth in my pocket because my hands kept getting oily from fixing my babies hair and I couldn't hold on to the lead rope.

If you bend down to set the legs....make sure you don't grab hold of the horses neck when you try to get up (My horse fell over - horse or me not hurt lol)

Put the bait in your bra and make the judge question what you are doing when you are trying to get the bait out of your bra (did that at a show and actually placed)

TAnya, I KNOW you can do it..........Main thing is have fun.

Thanks so much Barbie, Dannigirl & Teresa!
default_wub.png
I will definately be taking her in if Dusty isn't home by then. Thanks so much for all your kind support! {{{HUGS}}} Barbie, travel safe when visiting your hubby! Hope you have a wonderful holiday together!
default_wub.png

Jump right in there :) Good luck and don't forget to share all the details with us
default_smile.png
Wyatt is adorable!

PRAISE GOD, HE's COMING HOME NEXT WEEK!!!!
default_new_multi.gif
GLORY HALLELUJAH!!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

We are leaving for NC soon, and will be up there for a week. My nephew Clayton will be "horse/dog & house sitting" for us while we are gone. He is so good with the horses and loves them almost as much as we do. I'm so thankful he is willing to forego all our homecoming celebrations with Dusty to help us out with the horses (and dogs) so we could be there with our Dusty. THANK YOU CLAYTON, with all my heart!

Well, we are still up in the air with things over the TG holiday, as our Dusty is coming HOME, and we will get to spend a few days with him up there in NC. Then, I guess he'll be going through a couple weeks of what they call "Debriefing Counseling". I'm not sure exactly yet, how all that works out, but it's looking like he'll be spending TG up there at base. Just not for sure on all that just yet. It's a normal protocal that they all go through, to make sure, I guess, that what all they might have had to endure "over there" that they will be "ok".
default_sad.png
In speaking to Dusty today, he sounded so happy to be coming home soon, and especially ecstatic that he'll be seeing his baby boy for the very first time. Beyond that, he didn't or couldn't really reveal anything else. Still though, I am just so thankful God is bringing him back home to us. THANK YOU HEAVENLY FATHER.

Thank you too, Karla, I will be sure to pass your regards on to him.
default_wub.png

default_new_multi.gif

Shauna, thank you so much for your encouragement too. We'll see how the weeks ahead come to be, I guess.
default_wub.png
Thank you too of your kind words for Wyatte. I can't wait till my son can see his baby soon!
default_wub.png
My heart is just a BEAMING right now, LOL! :love

Teresa, in re-reading your post...

If you bend down to set the legs....make sure you don't grab hold of the horses neck when you try to get up (My horse fell over - horse or me not hurt lol)

Put the bait in your bra and make the judge question what you are doing when you are trying to get the bait out of your bra (did that at a show and actually placed)

I have have been just laughing all over again, oh my gosh, just envisioning these scenarios...HILARIOUS!!!!
default_new_rofl.gif
So glad you and your horse were not hurt, but I can totally see me doing this to my poor Bridgy too, LOL! She's so DINKY, I'd likely squash her like a bug, LOL!
default_ohnoes.jpg

{{{MAJORHAPPYSIGHS}}}

default_new_multi.gif
Hey ya'll.... MY DUSTY IS COMING HOME!!!!!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

PRAISE GOD!

Glad I made you laugh........and yes it was true.

I am so excited for you. I can't imagine having a loved one fighting in the war. God Bless you. You must be jumping for joy.

Whoopie!!!!!!!!!!!

Back