Going to a clinic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheryl

Reaction score
I am going down to a clinic at Happs in May to learn a little about CDEs, and get exposure to the dresage ring, cones and marathon course. I have never taken a horse on a weekender like that, so I have a few questions. I would like to stay on the grounds rather then going to a motel, but I tent camp. Will I be the only one? Any advice about that since noise will be more of an issue versus being in an RV. I am borrowing a very big trailer and the trailer owner suggested that I stall the mini inside the trailer to save stall fees. I am wondering how many people typically stall in the barn versus the trailer area and if that is a bad idea. I am wondering if Don (the mini) will whinny all night for the other horses if they are all inside.

Anyway, I have never shown or done anything other then trailer out for trail rides so the logistics of getting to Happs and preparing for a weekend away is all new to me so would appreciate any tips you might have for me!

thanks

Sheryl, lots of people tent camp or sleep in their trucks/vans at Happ's. That's pretty normal and they finally have running (cold!) water in the bathrooms so there's somewhere to wash up assuming you bring your own soap. I know many people like to keep their minis in a trailer but I personally have never been comfortable with it. I can't help but think the horse would not rest well when the trailer moves every time they do, but I seem to be the only one who feels that way. Of course Kody would spend the whole night pawing at the door and rearing so he may be a special case! LOL. The stalls at Happ's haven't been great the last few years as the barn was being built but they are better now and considering there are coyotes down there I always feel better with my horse in the barn. Most CDE competitors I know keep their horses tied out all day in the sunshine and put them in at night just to keep them safe. We consider it worth the fee. Also, it's nice to have somewhere to store your cart and such out of the rain! :bgrin

Kody and I started out at this clinic in August 2004 and it is well worth your time. A lot of us (the NW VSE people) have gone multiple times just to refresh our memories and get lessons. I think you'll really enjoy it and will apparently be meeting many forum members there. I'd love to drop by but probably won't make it.

Leia

Thanks for the info Leia! Who else from the forum is going? There are actually two events for beginners in May - the clinic with Deb Harper and then the schooling weekend. I am insane - I signed up for both.
default_smile.png

If you decide to stall the horses you could always sleep in the back of the trailer. When I've done It I just set up a lawn chase lounge and use a sleeping bag. I hate sleeping in tent, mine always find a way to leak, and I find sleeping in the trailer a little more private.

I think Shortpig, BigDogsLittleHorses, and a couple of others will be there. I can't remember who else but it was mentioned in one thread or another here! LOL.

If you're going to the schooling event, do you want me to haul Don? I didn't realize you would be interested or I would have offered sooner!

Leia

Oh how I WISH we had events like this here.

I cannot get any interest either form the BDS I think I will just have to do the work myself- AGAIN!!!

I know there would be a bit of interest form Mini people and we could grow.

BLAH- I don't have enough to do??

I would just like to go to something organised by someone for ME just for once.

I'll fly over- anyone lend me a horse???
default_smile.png

I have a full camping setup (with a tent) since we do it every summer. My old back can't take sleeping on the ground, so I even have a pretty comfortable cot that raises me up off the ground. (Okay, partly that is to keep the dog out of the sleeping bag). I think the tent would be warmer then inside the trailer, but that is a good option too.

Rabbit - I feel very lucky to have Happs here. I am going to volunteer to work at least one event this year because in addition to paying our fees, that seems the best way to keep this kind of stuff going. Maureen, who runs the events seems very beginner friendly and very mini friendly even though she drives a very big horse herself! I might even con a "big horse" riding friend to volunteer with me since it is pretty fun to watch too!

Leia, I am registered for both the May 5&6 Intro to CDE and against my better judgement, the May 12&13 schooling show. If you are going to either, I would love to ride with you and share gas. I have plans to borrow a heavy, wide, steel trailer nearly my vintage - sturdy and my truck has the muscle to pull it, but not exactly a light easy towing trailer through urban traffic - so it would save alot of aggravation to carpool if we can. I would definately stall Don in that scenerio. I assumed you would not be going to these events, but if you are let me know!

Don is getting fitter (and we practice hills at home) and since these events are clinics and schooling I am not too worried about the "obstacle" portion actually. What I am totally not ready for is the cones and dressage! I don't have a decent place with good footing to practice and my steering is still not very good - who would have thought trotting a big circle would be hard to steer
default_smile.png
Oh well, that is why I need to go to the beginner clinic - and the important thing is we have a mad blast fun time every time we go for a drive!

OH GOSH THAT SOUNDS SO EXCITING!! :new_shocked: :aktion033:

A friend of mine who's been studying this for some time now, and was lucky enough to get to a big clinic in England last fall, is putting on our first CDE clinic and training show this summer... Two of them actually. I cannot wait.

Sheryl, kudos to you for volunteering! :aktion033: I think that's fantastic and a great way to be a part of things.

I am not going to the intro clinic because I'm getting regular lessons at this point and honestly I need to save my money, but I will definitely be at the schooling show. That isn't intended (as far as I know) as a strictly beginner event so much as a chance for all of us to get our horses warmed up and going before the formal events start. There has always been a schooling weekend at Happ's but it's usually in April and this year they made it a more formal event and put it in May. As a matter of fact it will be our first Prelim test! So yes, I'll be there.
default_yes.gif
: I don't know if I'll have room for your cart and harness and such (plus I tend to leave at ungodly hours of late night or run way late the next morning) so you may want to send Don ahead with me on Friday and come down with your stuff Saturday morning.
default_wink.png
: I'm more than happy to get both horses settled and fed for the night if you'd like. You know I love Don.
default_wub.png
:

Call or email me! :saludando:

Leia

I'm hoping to audit the May 5-6 Intro to CDE. I don't know if Daryl (BigDogsLittleHorses) or Marie (Shortpig) will be going...and I may have trouble getting Keith to go, as he has a gig the night before, so I may be on my own.

Jane, I really think you should fly over, but we'll need to schedule a beach drive while you're here, which is an equally memorable event.

Mingus is moving ahead beautifully in his driver's ed, but still has a ways to go...hence my auditing the class.

Susanne, the men in my life (hubby and two teen boys) get bored after about 30 minutes of horsey stuff so I am always on my own with that! I keep telling my youngest son that driving a mini would be a great way to meet girls his age but he isn't sold on that plan! Come say hi to me if you do come... I will be driving Don the very very hairy, but cute as a bug bay gelding. I am guessing things will be a bit challenging since it will be our first time working in a setting like that with lots of other horses etc, but Don is a very good boy and better trained then I am!

Leia, I plan to head down on Friday too. When it gets a little closer, let me know the details of your travel plans. I can fit my cart in the minivan or if necessary take my truck. From talking to Maureen about the schooling event, you are totally right, it is not strictly a beginners event she just thought it would be a great opportunity to go to it to get the "feel" for the actual CDE. I am sure I will learn alot and just the chance to get instruction and work on the grounds will be very valuable for me. I think it will also be fun!

I am not sure there are too many other events this summer that will fit where we are at experience wise...

Sheryl,

I'll definitely say hi, and if I can help at all, let me know...I have a soft spot for bay geldings!

Latest posts

Back