Maryland/ Virginia/ NC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hylights

Reaction score
I live in Maine, we have over 50" of snow in the past 10 days, and it's snowing now for the next 2 days, the temp has not even reached freezing for more than a few hours in 6 weeks, and no sign of when it will.

I have 2 mini's, and my Collies. I am looking forward to retirement in 5-7 years, and although I love Maine for 9 months of the year I want to head south for January - March. I would like to go somewhere where I can drive my mini's and are dog friendly.

I have actually wondered about the possibility of getting a living quarters trailer and packing up the dogs and ponies and finding any place to down south to go? Are there RV parks, campgrounds, Parks where we can go for long periods in these area's?

Contact the Moore County Driving Club in Southern Pines, NC. I've heard of some folks doing this here in NC.

Moore County Driving Club

I'll have to dig for info from an acquaintance that did this... We've just moved and I don't have it handy.

Also, go to Yahoo and check out the Recreational Equine Driving list (AKA - RED) - there are a couple that also do that going to Florida, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Florida is loaded with RV parks that cater to Seasonal visitors.You can get anything from the bares bones of just a quiet place to park your RV all the way to real Resort type amenities. They charge by the day, week, month, or season. I'm sure most states will have something similar. The trick will be finding a boarding place for the ponies near by. In most places I'm certain that may be easier than picking a RV place. There are carriage clubs everywhere! There is one near the NC farm that does group drives with picnics. A little bit of internet searching will likely have your head spinning from all the choices of places to visit.

Happy travels!!!

LOL I live in Maine too and feel your pain!! My husband and I are looking to move south within the next year or two. I have 3 minis. We will both be retired and ready to leave the snow and cold behind. We are looking at the Kentucky - Tenn area.

The snow and cold have really made this winter hard to bear! I keep telling myself we are almost thru February, then its gotta get better!!!!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

This area of VA isn't horse friendly.

Lots of loose hunting dogs.... last thing you would want is a pack going after you and your minis.

I have come across ads for many places that cater to rvers with horses. Also many boarding facilities that have rv hookups. You just need to get on the internet and research what they have in areas you want to go.

Latest posts

Back