Giving Vitamin E...how do you

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
I know a lot of you supplement your horses with vitamin E. I have purchased some capsules to give to my mare Romey who has turned out to be insulin resistant
default_no.gif
as well as having other supplements that have been recommended to use for helping her condition. How do you give it? One article I read said to puncture the capsule and squeeze it into the feed. It ends up on my fingers and so much is wasted left in the capsule. Can you just drop the capsules in the feed and hope for the best? Are there better forms of vitamin E?

I am hoping to re-home her so that I can begin to concentrate on reducing my numbers to only two horses. I want to get her health improved as much as possible since this condition can only be "managed but never cured" according to the vet. She is really special to me (as are all of them).

How do you supplement with Vitamin E?

I have always popped the capsules and then squeezed into the feed. I would use a needle so just a little hole at the tip is there-much less mess
default_smile.png
I also rub it directly onto healing scars/scabs, etc.

I just drop the capsules in the feed and hope for the best, and then if he hasn't eaten them by his next meal, I puncture them and squeeze out the oil. A bit messy, but it gets it done. He was eating them for awhile, but lately I find all his capsules in his feed.

When I have given Vitamin E pills to my dogs, I have punctured them with a needle and squeezed as much as possible into the food, then toss in the mostly-empty capsule into the bowl so (hopefully) they eat what's left inside, too. Best of both worlds! Depending on how "full" your capsules are, you may be able to snip off the end with a pair of scissors without making too much of a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vegetable, sunflower and olive oil have Vitamin E in them. What is the doseage? can you possibly use one of those products in place of the capsules? Vitamin E can also be purchased at health food stores as a liquid in a bottle, just a couple of options.

A push pin to puncture and squeeze into feed. You can drop the capsule into the feed at the end, too, but larger horses tend to eat better as a mini can pick around it easier.

We have a belgian mare that gets Vit E and we buy it in the powder form from Jeffers or Country Supply. You have to look as most has selenium with it and we can not use that for our mare.

I cut the capsule in half with scissors and mix in the feed. You can also soak them in warm/hot water. This softens the capsule then snip or just drop in the feed whole.

Thanks everyone. I will keep experimenting. They sure do have a way of picking around things in their food bin that they don't want to eat.

Back