Ginger and Maverick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhHorsePee

Reaction score
Picked up the two late last night. Ginger zoned out once so far and Maverick has been a hand full trying to get him to eat/drink until about noon. I tried to pair him up with my older mare Hoot but he wanted to nurse and she wouldn't have any of that. He is now with Baby and they are both enjoying each other's company. I had to work on him through the night to get him to even drink a little. I had to palm it in his mouth or he refused. He was not a happy boy when we went to get him! But he is eating and drinking now!

Come to find out Ginger has had bad labs all week that she was there and they got worse instead of improving. She has lost a lot of weight, which she did need to loose wieght, but it was so fast! Will have my regular vet check her this week to recheck lab values. I don't have a good feeling about her health.

I wanted to thank you all for your concern and helping me through all of this. You guys are awesome!

Fran

Fran, Glad they are home, but sorry Ginger is not up to snuff. Hopefully your Vet will be able to figure what is wrong. Prayers to all.

im so glad they are home!! i think maverick is going to do fine especially now that he has a buddy. I am very worried about ginger. She has lost a huge amount of weight in a short time and thats not good at all. Let me know what Dr Biggie says. GET BETTER GINGER!!!

I too think the little one will be okay with his buddy. Have they found out

what is wrong with Ginger? Why were the labs bad? Does this show anything?

What kind of treatment is she on? Hoping being home will help her. Prayers

continued for Ginger.

Vicky

Is she eating now? Did they check her for ulcers? Well, if she hasn't been eating she may have them now, as the stress and acid will do that. I'm concerned for her. But, ask your vet about treating for ulcers in an attempt to keep that from happening if it hasn't yet.

These guys can be very challenging. It leaves us feeling so inadequate. :no:

Please keep us updated. We care.
default_wub.png
: The foal will probably do just fine if you can keep him eating &/or using formula from a bowl/bucket.

after a week at osu they still dont know what is wrong with ginger. her labs were worse at the end when released then they were when she got there. very upsetting. they suspect hyperlipemia but couldnt verify it. I feel she never had that until she got stressed and stopped eating and then lost so much weight. Then when they started putting her out on grass and she finally started eating she got better. She also has a ton of swelling and they dont know why. Its so odd becauase when i went there with fran the vet kept saying her liver enzymes were fine. but when fran showed me the release sheet it shows her levels are WAY off. I saw her yesterday and she was grazing but still obviously not "right" still stumbling somewhat and in a daze off and on.

I'm glad little Maverick is doing so well. Be sure to watch him for ulcers too. So much stress so young. I feel so sorry for Ginger. I do pray that she perks up and starts to do better now that she's home, but it sounds so bad. It's weird how there is such a conflict in reports as well, with them saying her liver enzymes were okay, then the release report showing differently.

Ohhh Fran! I hope your regular vet can figure out what's going on with your girl! Glad to hear that you got Maverick eating and buddied up, that's a GOOD thing. Continued prayers for Ginger, keep us updated best you can.

HUGS

Jodi

Fran, keeping you and Ginger in my thoughts and prayers..sending some (((hugs))) as well.

Good morning everyone. Maverick is doing awesome now with eating. Of course he wanted to play when I just went out and fed him some milk! Baby and him are something else together. I went outside yesterday afternoon to take him more milk and he wasn't in the round pen. Baby was running in circles all excited calling out for him. Noticed the mares running around. He got out of the round pen and crossed over electric fence and was trying to nurse on everyone but his momma. I was so lucky he didn't get hurt! Like an idiot I took his bowl of milk in with me and that was a huge mistake! I got a hold of him but everyone wanted to drink his milk. So I was carrying him with one arm and trying to get out of the gate and hold off everyone else with my leg or whatever with milk in the other hand. LOL All I could do was laugh at myself.

Ginger seemed to do much better yesterday. I did not witness her bumping into fence or the barn so that was a plus! She acted all nice and perky with no zoning out. The only weird thing she did was when I went to put her up in her stall for the night she freaked out. Normally you let her in and she mosies on back to her stall. Well, she went toward it (Maverick is stalled beside her at night) and when she got halfway in the barn she just went bonkers. Acting like something was after her. Wide eyed, paranoid like something had a hold of her. I haltered her up and tried to ease her back to her stall and every time I even started toward the stalls she would go ballistic. She stayed out with her pal Promise for the night. It was really odd! She has always loved her stall. Always would want to come in early to it.

Fran

Good morning everyone. Maverick is doing awesome now with eating. Of course he wanted to play when I just went out and fed him some milk! Baby and him are something else together. I went outside yesterday afternoon to take him more milk and he wasn't in the round pen. Baby was running in circles all excited calling out for him. Noticed the mares running around. He got out of the round pen and crossed over electric fence and was trying to nurse on everyone but his momma. I was so lucky he didn't get hurt! Like an idiot I took his bowl of milk in with me and that was a huge mistake! I got a hold of him but everyone wanted to drink his milk. So I was carrying him with one arm and trying to get out of the gate and hold off everyone else with my leg or whatever with milk in the other hand. LOL All I could do was laugh at myself.

Ginger seemed to do much better yesterday. I did not witness her bumping into fence or the barn so that was a plus! She acted all nice and perky with no zoning out. The only weird thing she did was when I went to put her up in her stall for the night she freaked out. Normally you let her in and she mosies on back to her stall. Well, she went toward it (Maverick is stalled beside her at night) and when she got halfway in the barn she just went bonkers. Acting like something was after her. Wide eyed, paranoid like something had a hold of her. I haltered her up and tried to ease her back to her stall and every time I even started toward the stalls she would go ballistic. She stayed out with her pal Promise for the night. It was really odd! She has always loved her stall. Always would want to come in early to it.

Fran

Latest posts

Back