Getting Ready!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly at WhiteTailsMinis

Reaction score
Okay so we have officially started foaling time. We had puchased a camera system!!!!! Woo hoo!

So excited as it will be a little easier this year watching over the mares in waiting.

We installed it today. Its so cool. We even have audio, so we can hear everything.

We also brought the first set of mares into the barn to be watched closer. Everyone is starting to get a little puffy on the udder.

So we are going over things to replinsh in the foaling kit, the barn " munchies, coffee, etc. " and everything else we need.

So whatcha got in your foaling kit? And are your MUST HAVES at foaling time???

Wow Holly we must be going on the same schedule! I finally got the quad processor and all the cameras up and running. We only have three due this year - ALOT less than yall! But they have been in the barn now since november getting used to things and getting comfy!

As far as human must haves. . .

• extra change of clothes (nothings worse than being covered in bodily fluids in the freezing cold after having a difficult birth)
  • cell phone - yeah, I call EVERYONE I know telling them my new "present" has arrived 
    default_biggrin.png

• camera - can't miss those first moments!
  • my assistant (usually my father or mother whichever is available - they record things on our data sheet for our vet - will explain later)
  • my husband (if he's home, he likes to deliver the foals himself and he does great plus he's great to have if something goes wrong as he's stronger than me)
  • plenty of towels & cleansers for me to clean up myself with before getting into clean clothes
For horse must haves. . .

• towels 
  • hair dryer
  • iodine
  • lube
  • scissors
  • tooth floss
  • data record sheet (includes gender, weight, height, time of birth, day of birth, sire, dam, time of standing, time of nursing, time of first meconium, time of placenta passing, etc.) for not only our records but if something were to go "wrong" with mom or baby - we have a whole sheet full of PRECISE information instead of "roundabout numbers" and guesstimates. 
  • banamine
  • foal blankets
  • milking supplies (just in case)
  • hydrogen peroxide
I'm sure I didn't include everything but that's a good bit of it. It's late, Im sleepy and the bed is calling 
default_wink.png

My biggest "must have" is my hubby sleeping on the couch with the beeper & mare TV so I can sleep at night!
default_laugh.png

Wow REO! That is a "must have" that I can't find. Do you have a spare you can lend? LOL! I am the one who gets to "sleep" with the beeper here.

I like the idea of hubby sleeping with the television on the barn cameras. Unfortunately we do the watching together and then both of us are tired.

We will be really tired from mid Feb till mid June
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
unless we get lucky like Reble did last year and have everything over with in a week
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back