Getting ready for the Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaroo

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been showing for 4 years now and I feel like every time i shave my horses down... by time I get to the show they are too long. Can anybody tell me how short they shave and how much before the show they do so?? Any other tips would be appreciated!! thanks

It depends on the horse. Certain colors I would clip a week out so their color would come back in and they wouldn't be dull (buckskin, black, possibly bay). Others I might clip the day before or two days before (chestnut, grey).

It also depends on the weather. They tend to grow hair if it's cooler out so I would keep either a blanket or sheet on them until the show.

I would always clip their ears, bridlepath, and muzzle the day before the show and razor as well.

Different size blades make a difference too - I prefer using a 15 on all bodies no matter when they are clipped. And I always use a 30 on their ears, 40 or 50 on their bridlepath and muzzles.

Not sure if this helps....

Latest posts

Back