geting of fat deposits!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis_4ever<3

Reaction score
default_sad.png
- my mare has a lot of fat deposits thro out her body!! Is there any form of training to get fat off her shoulders???I have figured our how to get some other fat of her but not her shoulders!!!(she does not drive)

thanks for any ideas!!!
default_yes.gif
:

-Cara

You either need to cut out some calories from her feed or increase the use of the calories through more exercise. It won't happen over night, just like it didn't get there that way. So, if you have been successful in getting her to drop fat in other areas, possibly all you need to do is keep up with what you are doing and give her some more time.

One way I have found it is helpful to drop some weight and maintain their body integrity is by cutting out some of their grains and replacing it with one of the supplements that provide high protein/low sugar & starch/balanced vit & min and fewer calories. I have an older mare who had gotten a little "pudgy" and this has worked for her very, very well. She lost some, not a huge amount, very slowly and has maintained good weight everywhere it was supposed to be. Self body regulated
default_yes.gif
: This is a broodmare, so she wasn't in a huge exercise program, just pasture play, etc. Looks great now.

Watch pasture time. A rich pasture can sure add pounds.

I have a mare that is overweight and I have made a huge effort this year in trying to get her to shed the pounds. By next spring I 'm going to have blood tests done to see if she has a thyroid problem. The vet wants me to restrain myself first with feed to see if I am her problem first because she is only 6. So far we have made great progress in the last 3 months. She has slimmed done some and probly will slim down a little more I hope
default_wacko.png
: She eats 1/2 flake 2 times a day with 1 pint of Triple Crown Light (messures 1 qt = 1 lb). She has a small paddock to pick at through out the day but it doesn't provide her too much to account for feed. I have showed her this year but I am finding that her energy level has decreased. I am researching what to provide her for a little higher energy but that won't put fat back on her. She goes on jogs with me and jumps as daily exercise. I have had someone tell me to feed high fat / low protein but I don't think that is good for her case.

Well I know diet and particularly EXERCISE works for me! (not just for my horses, i mean for ME! :bgrin )

Andrea

Latest posts

Back