Gestation???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetOpal

Reaction score
Ok now i am kind of embarrassed to ask this because I am convinced that my horses are conspiring against me! I have now been on mare stare for 30 days waiting for 3 mares, have them on camera, wearing thier little equipager thingymagigers.

I am 100% sure of my breeding dates as I wanted Feb foals so that I could go to the March show here. Last year I was on mare stare and had to miss 2 shows so the mares I bred I bred them in March hoping for Feb foals.....Ok now one mare is 357 days, second one is 350, and third is 343. They are all bagged up and big bags, I know they are big becuase I have taken pics and emailed every mini person I know to make sure I am not seeing bags that aren't there! :472:

Has anyone else experienced this sort of long gestations. We are in So. Cal and the weather has been very unusual. I watch them yawn, stretch, roll, lay down get up, bite thier flanks, try to scratch thier butts on whatever and everything, stick thier tongues out, I think they are doing that on purpose becuase they know I am watching them......please tell me that others have had mares go this long!!!
default_please.gif
:

372 days! Yeesh. Probably not quite what she wanted to hear! lol. My mare went 348 last year. Of course you know that because you have plans for march they are holding out!! One year my mare was supposed to foal long before my Mom's wedding and woulddn't you know she held out until we were gone and then foaled on the day before my Mom's wedding so I missed the whole thing!! lol. Good luck. i hope they all foal tonight! tee hee

372??? OMG, I didn't know if I should laugh or cry when I saw that!!!! I just want to sleep!!!

My due during winter mares will usually go over and my due during spring/summer mares will usually foal on schedule or a little early. Longest I've had one go is 355 but there have been a lot of posts on here in the pasts with mares going well over a year! :new_shocked:

Are you sure they are pregnant?I have had several false pregnancies with milk and the whole bit.But I have had a mare deliver on day 368 so they may be holding out on you.

Longest I have had is 374, boy was I glad when it was over.

372 days? Hah! I USED to own a mare who would laugh at such a "short" gestation.

Try being tortured -- and I mean tortured -- by a mare who held out for 404 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(yes, you read that right)

We ended up sending her to New Bolton Center's high risk neonatal unit to foal, convinced she was carrying twins. She wasn't. She had a perfectly normal filly. She also just missed the New Bolton record by a day or two.

We were so sleep deprived (we watched her for about 90 days before we sent her off to the hospital to foal), that I sold her as quickly as I could.

Of course the following year she delivered in a much more normal time frame for her new owners. She must have liked them better than she did us!

Hang in there! They can't cross their legs forever!

Last year one of my mares foaled 12 months exactly after her 2005 foal was born, both May 13, one 2005, and one 2006. She was bred on her foaling heat in 2005. So should have had it in April. She had the hugest udder and of course she foaled when I was at my job interview. My sister in law phoned me at told me she had a foal, of course she had totally forgot to check sex of foal so had to go check and phone me back. She phoned during my interview which was at a private estate that had horses so they were happy to hear I had a filly born. Of course I got the job taking care of their horses. :aktion033: Just wish the other employee was not so mean and nasty.
default_wacko.png
:

386 for me, stressed me out so bad I didnt breed anyone the next year. Now that same mare has looked ready for 2 weeks and due on St. Patricks day. Hang in there!

I wouldn't worry...............maybe start walking them HAHAHAHAHHA, I had a 365 day MAIDEN last year.

oh you all shouldnt even speak of such long gestations to us women that have been on mare stare :new_shocked: LOL

Seriously though there is a part in blessed are the broodmares that talks about long gestations which really arent that long. What happens is the egg gets fertilized but can float without attaching up to 30 days (or so) so the pregnancy really isnt until that egg attaches. That probably accounts for a lot of seemingly long gestations. I always took it this is why you cant rebreed a mare to another stallion for what 42 days??

Longest for me was 362 - can't imagine going into the 380's not too mention 400+ - that would definatley put me in the loony bin.

That said, welcome to MareStare zombie club :lol: - at least we have a good excuse for being a bit "short" with people these days!

Stac

PS -- Are these Geshan babies -- can't wait to see what you have from that special boy! ! !
default_wub.png
:

Jennifer... I really think those Geshan babies just take a little longer to cook. YOU CAN'T RUSH PERFECTION!!!

Andrea

Oh you are all too funny! I still have my wits about me, but yesterday I was on the phone with Magic and asked her 3 times if it was snowing at her place, 3 times she told me no, but she did tell me today that it did start snowing after she talked to me! See I am telapathic!

I had read that in the blessed are the broodmares also, but when I was going over all the stuff that can go wrong and how to reposition and what not, I really started to have a panic attack, and like what the heck was I thinking!! Last year I had a maiden that I watched from 300 days, she went into labor at 341 days and it was a terrible dystocia, she had the foal in the sitting dog position! Needless to say we lost the colt, saved the mare. So when I was going over all the what if's it just started to freak me out that these mares have gone longer than I am used to....I am going to have to go with what Disney said! Maybe Geesh babies have to cook longer!!! I can hope right??

2 of the are geesh babies, and one is out of a Pony Vista stallion, she is a maiden. Then I have my last Geesh baby due the end of March. Oh what a fun month! :lol:

I have foaled out a friends mare that went 366 days with her 2nd foal.

Joyce

351 last year for us (filly!) and I was used to my mares foaling 304-320 days.

Good luck!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Oh you are all too funny! I still have my wits about me, but yesterday I was on the phone with Magic and asked her 3 times if it was snowing at her place, 3 times she told me no, but she did tell me today that it did start snowing after she talked to me! See I am telapathic!
LOL! I think you are just a zombie.
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wink.png
: Who could blame you though, after these mares making you hold out for so long?

Have you announced your new foals yet? She's got BABIES, everyone, tell her to post pics!! :aktion033:

Ok finally we had 2 foals yesterday, of course not from the mare that is now 359 days! But the other 2 went yesterday!!! We have our first Geshan baby born at Sweet Opal, beautiful bay colt, unfolding very nicely I might add. I will try to get some pics up later today. If he will stand still long enough to snap one!! :aktion033: 2 down 2 to go!

Latest posts

Back