Gestation length For miniatures?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickhorses

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had a mini carry 365 days (12 months) before? Is it rare? For those that had a mare carry that long, did the mare have an easy or difficult delivery? Were there any complications with the mare and/or foal? When they carry that long, does the placenta get thicker then normal? Was their extra amniotic fluid?

In the past, my mares typically have foaled between 320-340 days which I have been told is typical gestation length for minis. However this year, I have a mare that come this Friday, will have been carrying her foal for 365 days (12 months). This will be her second foal - her first foal she delivered without any help, a text book delivery and carried that foal 348 days which is still longer then my other mares, but for her to carry 365 days is definitly a first for me and her!!. I have never had a mare go this long so I wanted to see if anyone else has had a mare carry that long and if there were any complications?. My Vet is coming out tomorrow to palpate her just to make sure everything is ok but I wanted to see if anyone else has gone through this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Danielle....gestation lengths vary greatly with Minis. I think the "average" is probably what you have experienced.....320 - 340 days. But I've heard of some going over 380 days & foaling a very normal, healthy foal! Extremely long gestations can happen, just as extremely early ones.

There are several people who have experienced very long gestations...well over 360 days. One never knows for sure if the breeding dates are absolutely correct, or if a mare re-bred later without the owners knowledge....but many of them are ones who were sent out to be bred & came back to the owner, where there was NO stallion. So, those dates must be correct. Sometimes a mare is bred, but the follical doesn't "attach" until a few weeks later. I think many of the extremely long gestations are the result of this happening.

I don't think there are any problems in relation to the mare carrying longer. You can't second guess Mother Nature. When that baby is ready to born...she'll do her thing!
default_wink.png
:

The longest I have had one carry was 360 days. The foal was quite large, but was delivered with no problems. The shortest was one born just two weeks ago at 291 days. No difficulties. Foal is live and healthy and full of energy.

My mother-in-law had a mare go 369 days last year. Healthy (and very hairy!) colt born unattended.

I had one go 302 days last year, again very healthy filly with no problems.

Both mares were hand served by me (well, by my stallion actually :bgrin ) so no mistake about the dates.

Our vet was out Monday looking at our mares. He told us he seen as long as 380 days (just like Dona mentioned above). Certainly longer than the "books" say.
default_smile.png

(We did not ask about how short a time...... not our interest at this point in time :bgrin )

-Becky

(edited to fix spelling (LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'average' is 335 days- but I have had them go from 310 to 346. I have known a few (owned by others, thank heavens!) who went OVER the 365 day mark, but that is not a common thing....

When they 'average' something- they have to get stats from somewhere- so many are going to be below and above the final figure...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back