Gelding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capall Beag IRL

Reaction score
Hi

can anybody help me out on this please.

the vet is coming on Monday to geld, a 4 yr old stallion that ive taken in (from a friend who didnt have time to look after him anymore) and because i already have 2 entire males (1 stallion & 1 yearling colt), is there anything i should know or do?

Ive always bought my riding horses already gelded so I have never had to do this before.

thanks

Joanne :saludando:

Hi Joanne,

Contact your vet prior to his coming and find out what kind of surface he prefers to have the horse on -- indoors or out? If indoors, then make sure it is disinfected as much as possible. If outdoors, then a clean grassy area is best. (Most feel that the grassy area is cleanest. Although, if the weather is bad, you may not have a choice.)

You'll want a private UNBEDDED area for your new gelding while his anesthesia wears off. Bedding will stick to his private parts. You'll also want to provide him with light excersize from the next day for about a week to reduce the chance of swelling. If swelling does occur you will want to gentley hose the area with cold water.

Be sure to discuss all of this with your vet. He/She can give you detailed advice on follow-up care. And ask the vet about giving your new gelding some follow up pain meds.

This is what we've done in the past.......

MA

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everything the other poster told you and will only add one thing. If you have a fly problem do not use the normal pesticides around his privates area. It can cause some problems. Instead use straight ground cayenne pepper, it has a numbing effect on nerve endings, will keep the flys off and promote healing. When we geld we even use it as a coagulent and pack it into the wound area. You will be amazed at how well it works.

:saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
ouchy
default_rolleyes.gif
: plenty of TLC
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back