Gelding the OLDER stallion??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAX

Reaction score
Will apologize first for what will probably be a long post (and my first!).

Aproximately 16 years ago I sold a young well bred bay colt to what seemed to be a great home. Couple of months ago I found an add on the internet about a Rowdy grandson out of Rowdys Eclipse that had come from a place where they train animals for movies. They said he was a "wonderful riding stallion". I was pretty sure I recognized him and was astonished at the full sized horse saddle on his back. Needless to say I ended up buying him back... I just couldnt let him be sold for riding not knowing where he would go. I found out he WAS used for breeding the unregistered mares at petting zoos. He is only 32" (smaller than I want to breed to), and I cannot keep him in the backyard any longer(too many stallions already in my horse runs)... I have set up an appointment for this Friday to have him gelded but am hearing all sorts of horror storys of gelding the OLDER stallion. He is 18 years old now. Have any of you had one this old gelded before and how did they do?

Thanks

Jackie

Hope I have posted this correctly!!!

I personally don't "believe in" gelding older studs. They've lived a full life as a stallion, and their testicles are fully developed (as well as their blood vessels). Its harder physically on them, its more dangerous, and to me its not fair to them (unless there is a really good reason, ie health reasons, or unable to care for them as a stud, etc).

I have had several done -1 as old as 16.I had them done at the vet's and stay until everything was ok.I'm not sorry-they are much easier to manage.Good luck whatever you decide.

We have gelded a number of older stallions through the years. When I say older I'm talking about stallions 5 years old up to 16 years old. I've experienced no health problems from gelding at these ages. On my full size horses that are older when gelded I've had my vet do them standing up instead of laying them down to do the procedure. My vet and I agree that this way is somewhat easier on the horse. The oldest horse we have gelded was 16, he lived to 26 and was a Champion 4-H riding horse until he passed, had he remained intact he would have missed those extremely fun and rewarding years as a 4-H horse with two boys that loved him.

The best advice you can get is from a veterinarian that you trust. Best of luck with this decision.

Jacki Loomis

Last edited by a moderator:
I gelded a 16 year old stallion last year and he did better than all of my yearlings did. No swelling or infection and he was much better at exercising himself afterward than the younguns. He now gets to run around with my broodmares and foals and in the winter babysits the weanlings. I am extremely happy with my decision to geld him.

I had one gelded at 17 years old and he did great! He had no problems whatsoever and exercized a lot like OHMT said also.

Susan O.

my grandmother had a pony that she gelded when he was 26. he was fine and lived a very long and happy life!

the oldest stallion I have had gelded was only six but he seemed to handle it easier than the youing ones , it was done standing up and within 10 mins he was picking at the grass , he also had no swelling or infection and he was much better at exercising himself afterward than the youngsters by the next morning you would never have guessed he'd had anything done . He can now run around with my broodmares and foals or I can put him with the yearlings . he seems much happier and loves to stand and groom with his buddies I am also happy with my decision to geld him.

(standing up does seem much easier on them all than the laying down op)

I gelded an 11 yr old last year who did just fine and is out being shown again as a gelding. Some friends here had a superior western pleasure stallion many years ago who they eventually quit breeding as styles changed...he was gelded somewhere in his late teens, and I had the opportunity to see him not long ago. He's in his early 30's now, has been sound and healthy for many years and is still enjoying a pampered retirement! Yes, I'm sure it is harder on a mature horse than on a baby but I think you have to weigh the options - many older stallions may have a much better quality of life after they are gelded. FYI, I do pick gelding dates according to the farmers almanac whenever possible....seems to help minimize swelling/bleeding (at least it doesn't hurt anything and it makes me feel better lol).

Jan

We gelded a 16 year old stallion two months ago. He did fine, so swelling, problems, etc. He's now out with our mare herd and other geldings, which he loves as he 'think's he has a herd of mares now.

I did talk to the vets before and they didn't think there would be a problem with his age, and there wasn't.

This is such good information, as I have a 10 year old stallion, that I have been breeding to two or three mares a year. With the economy being what it has been, I haven't bred him for two years. He is not happy being in a stall most of the time, and only out for a while with no one to be friends with. I am planning on gelding him this fall, so he can run with the other geldings and have more quality of life. He is really agood stallion and I'm hoping he will be a great gelding. My vet doesn't like gelding the older ones, even whe I have to wait until they drop at two or so, she won't be happy with my decision to geld this guy I'm sure, but my horse, my money. I would say go for it, I don't think stallions appreciate not being able to run with a herd, even if it is only a herd of other geldings, and some stallions just can't be turned out with other stallions or geldings until they are one themselves.

and to me its not fair to them
Not "fair" to them? How so? That ^ is a bit of an odd statement, Nathan - could you explain it? I know that you frown on gelding and all your horses are stallions... but a new gelding is not going to be standing around pouting about how "unfair" anything was...
default_wink.png

The oldest stallion I have seen gelded was 17 - and it was a breeze for him. No swelling at all. It was easier on him than all the younger stallions that have been gelded - and it did not seem any more dangerous than any of the younger stallions, either. The only stallion I worked with that ever had an issue with being gelded was a 5 year old - who had a lot of excess bleeding but once that was stopped, did fine.

Not "fair" to them? How so? That ^ is a bit of an odd statement, Nathan - could you explain it? I know that you frown on gelding and all your horses are stallions... but a new gelding is not going to be standing around pouting about how "unfair" anything was...
default_wink.png

The oldest stallion I have seen gelded was 17 - and it was a breeze for him. No swelling at all. It was easier on him than all the younger stallions that have been gelded - and it did not seem any more dangerous than any of the younger stallions, either. The only stallion I worked with that ever had an issue with being gelded was a 5 year old - who had a lot of excess bleeding but once that was stopped, did fine.
I can't speak for Nathan, but his respnse did include, "unless you can't deal with him being a stud", from my own personal experience, I don't want to geld my older guy, but havn't been able to rehome him as a stud. I'm only thinking of his quality of life, as I think the original poster is. My husband is going to go through several surgeries, money is tight. But all in all we must think of the horses' well being. The original poster bought back a horse and can't keep but so many stallions, so I understand that they are considering gelding in order for the horse to be more happy. Again, I can't speak for Nathan, but I think you need to reread his post. Got flame suit on, as always!

Latest posts

Back