Gelding Questions.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, no one told my 2 year old gelding that he should calm down if gelded early. He was gelded last March as a yearling (his actual birthday is in June) and he is still a spazz! He has so much attitude it is not funny.
default_rolleyes.gif
So, don't think gelding him early will do away with that spark necessarily. I was hoping it would, but ...
LOL

I want spark in my guy
default_yes.gif
I wantthe show attitude.

But my new girl is half shetland...Oh I know what it is now
default_wacko.png
haha!

OK, I'm a huge fan of geldings. My gut reaction is usually GELDGELDGELD the sooner the better.

But to be honest if I were you I would go ahead and show him as a colt this year and geld him in the off season.

Which is odd, because normally I can't wait to have those things lopped off.

I love my mini show geldings! I have 5 of them all driving and now all Senior. I understand what you mean. I show a 3 yr old Clydesdale and he lumped together with every other gelding Clydedales. Now he does place but I have to wait til he older to win the class not fair. The mares and studs in clydedales have 1 thru 5 yr old for competing.

I LOVE geldings. Just last week-end I was looking at a yearling filly and wondered if I would like to have her. Then I got to really thinking with my head. If I had another filly, I would just have to worry later on about breeding her, staying up nights with another one waiting for her to foal, and worrying about the outcome of the foaling. With stallions, you have to keep them separate, can't stall with anyone at shows, have to have a special place on trailers, and take a chance that a mare will be stalled next to him at shows, he may rear, get his feet caught, and get injured! I just decided I did not need the filly after all, and to be content with my gelding!

We had a 2 y.o. colt that has more "attitude" than he needs, had him gelded during the winter, and still he has too much "attitude" but we are still hoping it will level out. As I said, I love geldings!

Are you not still a youth Devon?? IF he is a yearling then he can only show in the Halter division & a youth can only show a senior stallion in the performance classes.

Not sure if this makes a difference to you or not.

Of course, you CAN show him in open classes -- just not in youth.

However, a good stallion makes an awesome gelding!!
Yes but IM older then 13 and hes a junior stallion this year. Which I believe amhr offer Youth Junior stallion
default_yes.gif
This class is ONLY offered at the National show -- not at any other AMHR sanctioned shows. And he is not old enoough for any performance class except Halter obstacle.

Hey dev i think you need to remember that your cold is related to stormy and if they have anything in commen he will be full of spunk no matter what.

I think you should go ahead and geld him for thi season, he would make a great gelding but you already know that. I think you would have a harder time showing in the stallion classes, if you won and had to show grand it would be harder to win when put up agaisnt aged stallions rather then geldings of verying ages. anyway if you put it off now it might be one of those things that you just keep putting off

-vanessa

I would go ahead and geld him. The longer you wait, the more thickness of neck, the more crest, stallion like activity, etc you will get.

In the large horse world, we always geld as weanlings and yearlings to show in gelding classes, so that they will not get heavier with thicker necks, bodies,, crests, etc. like a stallion. Then when he is a senior gelding, he will still be very refined and would do better against the geldings that were not done till later in life.

Latest posts

Back