Gelding Questions.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
I was wondering a few things about gelding.

If you attended 13 shows a year and 10 of those were "Geldings-All Ages" and you had a fairly competetive colt that would be a yearling you would intend to geld. Would you geld him and show as a yearling gelding(Who has to go with 2 yrs old and senior geldings)? Or just compete with the yearling colts and geld after the season?

I dont know that its fair to show a yearling gelding against seniors some judges dont take into thought that the horse is a yearling..

Also gelding him young is that going to take away any spunk he is actually starting to get? I think he's going to be a deadhead gelding
default_rolleyes.gif
Hes a real sweetheart with attitude.

Also him being a yearling to senior gelding is it going to be harder to keep him show ring fit?

How the heck do you bring yourself to geld a colt that went Res. Champion against senior stallion as a weanling :DOH! I know he will be much better/competetive as a gelding
default_smile.png

I can't bring myself to geld him but that has been the plan ; Its hard because I cant go back and I like him !!

I need gelding advice/support Im so undecided lol
default_wacko.png

I was thinking to geld as a coming 2 yr old? But want advice on if I should go with yearling.

This is the little brat

zeemanshows2.jpg

Wow nice colt! In AMHR - IMHO always when showing against senior stock, the senior will get the win. But if you left him a colt until he is near two and you show him, his points go with him.

Personally i think you would have the ADVANTAGE. Generally as yearlings they have a more refined feel to them then the say, 3 year olds and seniors.

I will chat with you tonight, Give Fashy a great big hug for me and tell her Narko misses her, he is quite upset with me lol
default_wub.png

Here is Narko as a yearling, he looks just as great as the three year olds

4-5.jpg

22-2.jpg

Also, think about the future here. You alrady have an under gelding correct (weeman), zorro would be an under gelding as well. I guess it doesnt hurt to wait. Taking the "berries" out is easy, putting them back in is a bit harder LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
ITs just club shows exc.

Same people show at them as our AMHR shows their still really competitive.

I just can't decide if he will be competetive enough as a yearling colt.

But not competeive enough to go with senior geldings AS a 1 year old
default_rolleyes.gif

If it was always yearling gelding I would definatly do it now I think he would be a fabulous gelding
default_wub.png
(IMO)

I guesse it would be nice to ahve a gorgeous gelding too :DOH!

Its so hard to decide to geld but its got to be decided!
default_rolleyes.gif

I dont need a stallion really ; theres so many stunning ones out there right
default_saludando.gif

The way I look at it is: if he's awesome as an intact colt, then he should be spectactular as a gelding! I very rarely think twice about gelding. I think more colts should be gelded!
default_aktion033.gif

Aw, theres little zorro
default_wub.png

Well, here is my opinion...

He looked great last year as a baby... but who knows how he is going to mature, may get gangly etc during his "tween" years...so that could affect how you place. And also, you never realy know what the horse is actually going to become of himself until he is almost full grown. As babies, they always look different. I have seen some "gangly" looking babies become really nice horses when there full grown. It all depends and is a total toss up.

As for gelding him now or later...its a personal opinion for you. But, you are very right about most judges don't take into consideration the age of the gelding...whether it be a yearling or not. Some classes up here are mixed with A and B as well, so that will get tougher too. There are pro's and con's to each circumstance. If you geld him later, you have more time to decide if he will grow up to be a nice stallion or not. But on the other hand, I know Zorro is your little baby, and would you want to put up with his "hormones" at all the shows? With gelding him, he won't be so much focused on the mares, but listen to you and show his heart out. It depends what you want to put up with. I know I sold my first horse because he was a BRAT too work with, and since we don't have a farm to just put them out in the field, I was forced to sell him so I could have more fun with more behaved horse....you have more fun that way.

Your right, its a hard decision.... good luck!

Just remember, a nice stallion makes an even nicer gelding. And he won't be a dead head gelding... he'll still have some spunk
default_smile.png
and kick butt
default_aktion033.gif

I have seen plenty young stock wether it be gelding, stallion or mare win the grand over a senior horse. I have been having the delima about one of the colts I have, I think he will make an amazing show gelding but for some reason still putting off the gelding part. He has the opposite, a bit more fiery of an attitude so I think gelding him would settle him down a little. At a show I managed last year, I saw a weanling colt win the entire Classic Stallion division....He was an amazing little guy and on that given day he deserved that placing 100%...now the owners of the aged horses were not as happy for the weanling!!!! LOL...

I have seen plenty young stock wether it be gelding, stallion or mare win the grand over a senior horse. I have been having the delima about one of the colts I have, I think he will make an amazing show gelding but for some reason still putting off the gelding part. He has the opposite, a bit more fiery of an attitude so I think gelding him would settle him down a little. At a show I managed last year, I saw a weanling colt win the entire Classic Stallion division....He was an amazing little guy and on that given day he deserved that placing 100%...now the owners of the aged horses were not as happy for the weanling!!!! LOL...
Yea same I know hed be a fantastic gelding but then somethings holding me back; I want to see him go with the yearlings here
default_yes.gif
But if I can make it to some more area shows up in the US I think he'd have a harder time. I know someone heading to nationals not sure if Ill save up by then but Id definatly choose him to bring out of my guys if he was gelded to go in yearling gelding
default_smile.png

If you have decided he will be gelded, I would do it before show season. I can hardly wait to have my "Blue" gelded. I love having a NICE Junior gelding to show off
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
I think Zorro would be an outstanding gelding and really only more fun w/o what would otherwise keep him a stallion
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

PS I've had junior horses take grands and my first SUPREME was with... what... a junior gelding
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Devon It is a tough decision..Im going to be making the same one shortly.

I think I will show mine as a yearling colt and then geld him in the off season. I just would like to show him as a colt. Think it will give him a but more hiss and razz later on.

Also, just speaking from experience here. I have a 6yr old gelding at the moment (he belongs to Wiccanz here on the forum) and he was gelded about a year or so ago..He has sooooo much spunk its not funny! Hes just the coolest horse I've ever had. I personally think its because he was gelded so late.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think Zorro is gorgeous.

default_wub.png

. I just would like to show him as a colt. Think it will give him a but more hiss and razz later on
my thoughts exactly

Yea Im gelding him eventually so we will see when
default_wub.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Hey Dev, you already know my thoughts
default_biggrin.png

I guess i have a different take on this, i say leave him a stallion for the time being and see how he does competing in the stallion division, you and I both know there are some boys up there that you want to see how Z does agianst, you never know until you try AND you cannot compete agianst them in the stallion class as a gelding lol. You can always geld him after you try him out in the stallion division.

Plus, you never know how he will do until you try
default_saludando.gif

I'm a big fan of geldings!
default_biggrin.png
Better to show and stall. Don't have to deal with the hormones! I think that younger horses show better than the aged ones. So you have a shot. I just hate the "special" care that comes with stallions when it comes to showing. I got tired of tarping stalls and finding places excluded from other horses. You think horse people would know not stall their mares next to stallions when he's secluded in a corner by himself. Hmmm....just had to vent. And the trailering is easier, etc. etc.
default_biggrin.png
But I love to show geldings. Don't take more work. His neck will actually stay smaller. Won't get the big stallion neck that you really have to sweat to get into show shape (as for my experiences).

I would keep him a stallion and see how he matures. Also it is easier to show against his age group. I have a gelding here who was gelded at age 5 and still has all the spark he had as a stallion.

Are you not still a youth Devon?? IF he is a yearling then he can only show in the Halter division & a youth can only show a senior stallion in the performance classes.

Not sure if this makes a difference to you or not.

Of course, you CAN show him in open classes -- just not in youth.

However, a good stallion makes an awesome gelding!!

Are you not still a youth Devon?? IF he is a yearling then he can only show in the Halter division & a youth can only show a senior stallion in the performance classes.

Not sure if this makes a difference to you or not.

Of course, you CAN show him in open classes -- just not in youth.

However, a good stallion makes an awesome gelding!!
Yes but IM older then 13 and hes a junior stallion this year. Which I believe amhr offer Youth Junior stallion
default_yes.gif

Well, no one told my 2 year old gelding that he should calm down if gelded early. He was gelded last March as a yearling (his actual birthday is in June) and he is still a spazz! He has so much attitude it is not funny.
default_rolleyes.gif
So, don't think gelding him early will do away with that spark necessarily. I was hoping it would, but ...

Latest posts

Back