Gelding questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondinmypocket

Reaction score
I hope that in July a perfect (my standards
default_smile.png
colt will be born. I bred a mare late august.

I want a winning showmanship halter gelding. So I am trying to know the best time to geld him to and get the look that I want. Great studs win championships. I want that great studlyness in build and additude, but in a smart willing manner with intellegence.

I know much of what I want comes with time he and I will spend together, and the quality of that of that time.

But what do the coconuts have to do with development?

It would be great to hear your experiences and advice so I can start thinking about this now. This will most likely be my only baby I ever have. So I am going to try my hardest to make this work.

I would say eight weeks! The best gelding I ever produced was gelded at eight weeks and as he grew he got "drier" and "drier" until one day I looked at the end of me lead rein and saw this incredible, basically unbeatable, creature. I do not say that sort of thing lightly, btw, I criticise my animals very keenly! He beat stallions in open classes. It is a myth that you need to leave them to "develop" before gelding, you really do not. But you do have to look at the competition in the classes you will be entering and see what is winning- if a "gelded stallion" type is winning them gelding at eight weeks is probably not the way to go. If a true "gelding " type is winning, then it is and it is certainly a lot less hassle in the end!

Thanks Rabbitsfizz! I live in the Austin tx area. I would love to see anymembers geldings, who are showring proven, and when they were gelded. And if anyone in my area can show me photos of what is winning so I can have an idea of what I will be up against? And a judges name too please.

Thanks so much.

Rita, 'drying out' is a term used in Arabian horses basically meaning that as a foal matures, it's bone structure becomes more refined and pronounced and the horse looks more 'sinewy' all over. I've seen somewhat plain headed Arabs become gorgeous headed as they mature. I've never seen this occur as such in other breeds of horses. Pretty amazing!

I was amazed at the difference between chubby foal and elegant yearling, but what blew me away was the fact that he did not go back to "chubbihood" as he got older, as so many Minis do, he just stayed the same- right up til I sold him, that is, and then he grew to the size of a house, sideways only! Loads of grass will do that to even the most refined animal!

I wish I had three like him today, when there are, at last, the classes for geldings...

Latest posts

Back