Gelding Getting Aggressive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a long talk with my parents, I think we've decided to ask for help from someone who is a little more experienced. There is a young lady at the tack store that told us if we need any help with our mini, she would be happy to help. So we'll phone her this week to see if we can pay her to come out here and take a look at him. She manages her mom's ranch when not working at the store, so I'm sure she's very knowledgable. She also said she is looking for a mini so she might find it interesting to work with one. If this doesn't work out, then I'm afraid we may have to find a new home for Breaker
default_sad.png
I'm really hoping this all works out...

I will be praying that this person can help you get on the right track with Breaker. I think you are making a very wise decision. Good luck and keep us updated. I know I will want to hear how it is going.

I'm sure that if you eliminate the grain again you will notice a big improvement in his nature. No, grain is no excuse, but at the same time grain will certainly make a horse a lot more high spirited and full of himself, and it will cause some horses to behave in ways that they wouldn't otherwise behave. Some people can deal with the extra energy, but that does not mean that everyone can. I've got some here that I can get along with fine even when they're jacked up on a large amount of grain, but I would not expect a novice to be able to handle them in this condition. If I'm working a horse on saddle or harness training I make sure he isn't getting much for grain--because it's so much easier to start riding or driving a horse when he isn't dealing with extra energy caused by grain--and grain does give extra energy! I expect that the new grain ration is the biggest reason your guy has started giving you grief.

As for hay--I would go with either the timothy (if it isn't too coarse) or the mixed grass. The only time I've bought orchard hay here it was crap--I realize some people get lovely orchard grass hay but I just cant recommend it based on that experience.

As far as minerals--I never rely on grain to provide the minerals a horse needs. Most horses just don't need the recommended amount of grain and so don't get enough minerals anyway. I much prefer a made-for-horses mineral block.

I'm in the UK so not sure about the types of hay you have over there, but here first cuts tend to be more stalky and second cuts more leafy - much more suitable for minis. Also I think you said that you have snow? If so and you have no grazing then yes, your boy needs some hay to 'graze' on as soon as possible - you say he races through the 'fibre' feed that he is getting which is not good as horses need to trickle feed for the sake of their systems. I would suggest seeing if the young girl who will be helping you knows anyone who would take your sack of grain off you, and instead buy some hay asap and invest in a slow feeder, if you feel it necessary, once you can find one. JMO!

Really pleased to hear that you will be getting some help with Breaker, good luck! Please keep in touch and let us know how it goes.
default_yes.gif

He is a great looking little horse.

Good luck with him, I hope it works out for you and him and keep us updated how his training goes.

I ordered a Hay Pillow today, it will be here in a couple weeks. My dad is picking up a few bales of hay this weekend. In the meantime I am going to slowly decrease his grain. We are planning on phoning the girl who can help him this week and hopefully come here as soon as she can. Meanwhile I will try to work with him a few times a day, if he comes toward me and tries to bite me I hit him with the whip on his hindquarters, then he usually turns his butt toward me and if he turns around and tries again I do the same thing until he leaves me alone and starts to ignore me. I then leave to end things on a good note
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd give you guys an update
default_smile.png

Breaker has greatly improved! The whip has done wonders. After the first day I brought it out, he hasn't charged me at all. I bring it with me every time I go up to the barn. Now all I have to do is give him a firm tap on his hind end when his ears go back and he has that look, and his ears perk back up and he goes back to whatever he was doing. He has stopped invading my space for the most part, he doesn't rub on me or try to bite me (except if I'm wearing a coat and he tries to play with the sleeves, then I just give him a tap an he stops). He is off grain and that helped a lot with his energy, he still has enough to run more than 20 laps of his area every day, but not enough excess to charge at me. The trainer girl is off on a trip for a month, so we'll see if I need some help once she gets back, and if I do, we'll set something up. He has loose hay now so it takes him longer to eat, and the Hay Pillow should be here in less than a week which will make it last a lot longer. I also set up a toy for him by poking holes in the bottom of a vinegar container, hanging it on a post, and putting a cup of oats in there. He REALLY enjoys trying to get all the oats out. I haven't been able to take him for any walks lately, as the roads have been VERY icy, but once it improves we'll start up again.

I just want to say one more thank you to everyone who responded. Your advice has helped so much and I couldn't have done it without you guys!
default_smile.png

I love your toy idea! Wondering if I can do that for Halo, in some way. But I give her feed, with warm water...I guess she could have some of it, in a container like that though. I have a ball and a Nosy feeder thing, that she totally ignores. But something hanging down, with food in it, may help keep her occupied.

I'm glad things are going so much better with Breaker. Good job!

Lisa, you didn't put yummy enough treats in the Nose-It for Halo.
default_wink.png
Perhaps something really tasty would get her interested (a few tasty horse treats, instead of boring horse feed); I know my stallion loves his Nose-It, first thing he goes to in the morning (I put hay pellets, complete pellets and a few small hay cubes in it, and he doesn't leave it alone til its empty), and he likes his Jolly Apple (its on the ground and he rolls it all over his paddock).

LOL Probably Chanda, but I don't want her getting a bunch of fattening things. Not sure she liked having to try and tip the thing either...but I think she would possibly hit something hanging.

It's so cute watching him toss it around. He'll bang it back and forth like 10 times and then eat the oats that fell, and then do it all over again. I also hung it with a flat bungee cord with the hooks cut off and then screwed to the post, that way it has lots of stretch and bounces around more. He caught on really quickly too, once he figured out there was food in there, he was determined to get it all out. I'll try to get a picture today.

Latest posts

Back