gelding breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pam

Reaction score
Last November, I gelded my 9 year old stallion. He was used for several years and was my first mini. He has shared a shelter and turnout area with two bred mares since February. I recently turned him out with my other mares. I caught him breeding one of my mares. He is not just mounting, but actually penetrating. He is not aggressive or mean and the gal was totally enjoying the affection
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I called the vet and he said that he is breeding because he was gelded at such a late age.

Has anyone had this situation and will he eventually get it out of his system? I gelded him so he can run with the mares, and I hate to stall him separately.

Pam

I don't think it has anything to do with the age of gelding.

My seven year old gelding, who was gelded as a two year old, (and never used for breeding) will cover the mares if allowed. He is NOW in a separate paddock with the other geldings and colts. Yet, my former stallion, who was gelded as a ten year old, and who was used since a two year old as a breeding stallion, doesn't go near the mares with anything other than being a pal in mind.

some horses just have more hormones than others. I would keep him away from the mares, as infections can run through your mare heard this way...with that little gelding passing the "joy" from one mare to another.

It has nothing to do with when he was gelded - as Sue_C. pointed out. My Icelandic gelding was gelded as a yearling - before the hormones even kicked into gear... and then 4 years later, started "breeding" the willing mares he was pastured with. HUH? He had to be seperated from the mares for the rest of the summer... was reunited in the fall - and seemed to have forgotten all about his prior adventures.

And yes - I hunted down the vet who gelded him (who had worked with that breeder for years) who assured me that nothing was left behind....
default_wink.png
:

He has only lived with geldings for the past few years now - so I have no idea if those pesky little hormones will ever emerge again...

I don't think it has to do with the age at gelding, either. With what I own now or have owned in the past, it makes 10 geldings total.

Of these, two were gelded as senior stallions and one I have not seen penetrate a mare but observing his reactions now that we are breeding mares to our resident stallion, i am sure he would if he got close enough.

Of the others, one is a riding gelding I purchased at the age of 10 and I have seen him penetrate mares at the barn where he is boarded. I do not know when he was gelded.

Another mini of mine was gelded as a yearling and i have seen him penetrate a mare 2x (owned him since 1999).

Then the one that shocked me most was a yearling, gelded at 6mos. He also was caught in the act when he was just a yearling!!!

So, out of 10 geldings I own or did own, I have seen 4 do it basically. I don't know why some still retain (or actually grow into) this behavior, but I know as others have said that it can lead to infections in your mares so it's important to be aware of it as a possibility and separate the wannabe Romeos if they are able to do what has been described.

I also agree it doesn't have to do with the age. I changed barns about 8 months ago, and my gelding has since been pastured with all mares. He LOVES them. He "herds" them up just like any stallion would, he is constantly next to them and making sure they are OK. I have yet to see him mount any of them, but he has been showing some stud like behavior such as curling his lip, sniffing their booties, etc. Willie was gelded at just under 9 months.
default_smile.png

I had two gelded same day -- neither had ever been bred, both were 5-5.5 y/o. Of course, they were then put back into their own pasture where they'd been before. Mares adjacent field, etc.

ONE of them is very casual and mild mannered -- shows no interest or knowledge of sexual differences between boys & girls. :aktion033: The second one STILL doesn't believe he was cut :eek: :new_shocked: and displays stallion like efforts when mares are around (as both used to before "the party").

Soooooo, while I took care of the issue of unwanted foals should they get in with the mares, I still can't run them with the girls because I'm confident that OZ would mount them. I was holding their leg up during the operations, so I absolutely know everything came out!!

It's annoying, actually. You sorta feel cheated, yes? Like, this is not supposed to happen.....
default_rolleyes.gif
:

The only time I had a gelding breed was when he was proud cut and that was a quarter cutting horse we had.. Other than that all my geldings, mini or big never think twice about it.

Joyce

Thanks for all your replies.

Bess - you hit my sentiments exactly - I am annoyed and feel cheated, as I really thought that gelding my little guy would fix the problem for turning out horses. I do not not have a lot of stalls or paddocks, and I really wanted him to be in one of my small barns with a few mares where he would easily go in and out. He is my first mini so selling him is not an option.

I am really surprised at how common it is for geldings to continue to be the little playboys
default_wink.png
:

We had big horses for years and only experienced it one time. Like Joyce, we had a quarter horse who was proud cut. I was present when the vet gelded my mini, and there is no way that any of it was left!

All things happen for a reason, and maybe this will give me leverage to convince my husband that we need another larger barn built this summer!

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Pam

Well i do own a 6 year old gelding in denial. He is a 38'' Foundation Shetland named Royal Salsa. I was told he would walk around and mount the previous owners Quarter Horse who didnt like it to much, pretty scary to picture
default_wacko.png
:.

A few weeks ago we brought home a 29'' mare. I had Royal in the barn isle way and i had Deeds (the new mare) on the lead over by her stall waiting for them to bring back a block of hay for her. I looked at Royal and noticed his penis was down and when i looked closer i seen something dripping and he was looking right at her. He wouldnt dare making any 'hot moves' on that little lady while i was holding her so he stayed back but he did sleep by her stall for the first couple nights. He's tried mounting her maybe once but she will not have any of that from him.

After a couple days he gave up. He still notices mares. At shows i have to keep vicks in his nose constantly because he can be such a butt over the ladys and wanting to get them stallions. He doesnt care as much about the minis but when he sees a big horse, he just looses his mind and the only thing he can think is "Breed ...Breed ...Breed ....squeal!!!". He's a good boy, just hormonal.

I have a WB mare who turns the boys on like crazy! We used to board big horses here and every now and again, I'd look out to find Daphne enticing the geldings and some of them mounted and penetrated her.

On another, related note, MY gelding never mounted Daphne, but DID mount the life sized fiberglass horse statue we had placed in the pasture as a conversation piece. He did this so many times he broke a leg off her. Luckily the "fiberglass filly" had no whoo-hoo (or hee haw) so she couldn't pass on any of her "Itchy Infections". She had lock jaw, lock hip, lock neck, and lock tail (though this was very nicely held aside) BUT she was an easy keeper!

On another, related note, MY gelding never mounted Daphne, but DID mount the life sized fiberglass horse statue we had placed in the pasture as a conversation piece. He did this so many times he broke a leg off her. Luckily the "fiberglass filly" had no whoo-hoo (or hee haw) so she couldn't pass on any of her "Itchy Infections".

THIS just really cracked me up!! Thanks for the good laugh!!

Latest posts

Back