Gelding at 6 mo's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The risks of altering an animal, no matter the age, far outweigh any benefits of leaving them intact.
I, too, would love to see the evidence of this...I am still hoping to be able to geld my colt next week so he can be left with the herd all winter.

My preference was to wait until the year they would turn two years as I believe a nicer neck would develop and strong bone.Good bone has always been important to me. I do believe that a stallion will mature a little shorter and if the height is going to be on the over line it would be wise to take that into consideration even a half inch can count.

As for gelding at any age, if you have a horse in his teens and above with very large testicles, there is going going to be a risk of heavy bleeding because of the blood vessels being larger and perhaps should be done in house and not in the field.I did not geld one of my older little boys (30.5") once because of this when I stopped breeding. He was naturally laid back and never any trouble staying intact, but if he had been a little terror he could possibly have been cut and sent to the university for the procedure.

Also, just some food for thought.

Humans that have their reproductive systems removed have to take hormones to stay healthy. Also, no credible Dr will do a hysterectomy or tubal ligation until you are 25 (at least around here) unless there is medical reasoning.
Actually, this is usually due to "humans who change their mind about wanting children" and not really about health issues.

There was a study on human eunuchs (castrated men) which suggested that they lived much longer. So the impact on health might be beneficial!

Secondly, animals have shorter lifespans than humans. I've never heard of a study where spayed animals live dramatically shorter lives than unaltered ones? I've only heard that absence of sex drive helps prevent a lot of situational injuries and deaths.

Actually, this is usually due to "humans who change their mind about wanting children" and not really about health issues.

There was a study on human eunuchs (castrated men) which suggested that they lived much longer. So the impact on health might be beneficial!

Secondly, animals have shorter lifespans than humans. I've never heard of a study where spayed animals live dramatically shorter lives than unaltered ones? I've only heard that absence of sex drive helps prevent a lot of situational injuries and deaths.
Sorry, I am not clear with what you are saying. Are you for or against gelding ?

I think there is some confusion, I may be wrong, did you mean the benefits of gelding them far outweigh the risk factors that are associated with the procedure and the possible behavioral issues that may arrive from keeping them intact........or do you believe that there are huge risk factors with the aspects of gelding, and keeping them intact outweighs gelding them?

Sorry, just trying to understand where your coming from.

Hmm... Words are hard to keep track of while hunting and pecking on an iPhone
default_smile.png

I am pro-gelding at any age a veterinarian deems the animal appropriate. I have gelded colts at many ages, and will continue to geld early! The three month old colt was the easiest and he had his dam right there to nurse and comfort. Every situation is different, but as long as animals who are not intended for breeding are altered, I'm a happy camper. There is far too much overpopulation out there otherwise.

I do agree with Michelle, I think as a society we over medicate, over vaccinate and over analyze. On the gelding issues I have to disagree. I PREFER to geld while still on the mare so even younger than six months. It is so easy on the foal they are back to normal the next day, mama keeps 'em moving and they are on pasture so less risk of infection. My vet is an equine vet and does some very expensive breeding facilities. He has no issues with gelding this early in fact many of his clients do geld early. I like gelding early not only for them but for the people who come and want to buy a gelding but fall in love with one that is not yet gelded and they leave with the colt, promising to have him gelded.....ya right.

If you have questions you should talk to your vet about them. If you don't trust your vet to give you an informed answer to a routine surgery question you should find another vet.

In today's market I decided that if I couldn't say yes, absolutely, that's stud material at 3months a gelding it is. Is there a possibility that a horse homily at 3 months could turn out to be the next best thing? Yep, however considering the hundreds of stud colts produced every year I doubt the world will miss him.

Hmm... Words are hard to keep track of while hunting and pecking on an iPhone
default_smile.png

I am pro-gelding at any age a veterinarian deems the animal appropriate. I have gelded colts at many ages, and will continue to geld early! The three month old colt was the easiest and he had his dam right there to nurse and comfort. Every situation is different, but as long as animals who are not intended for breeding are altered, I'm a happy camper. There is far too much overpopulation out there otherwise.
got it! Thought you were for the gelding procedures. Even a stallion quality colt makes a jaw dropping gelding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pro-gelding at any age a veterinarian deems the animal appropriate.
Ugh. Surprisingly, vets are NOT the end all be all of knowledge. Not even close. Most just want a quick buck.

And it doesn't just decrease sex drive (which honestly is a training issue, and not a difficult one at that) and it may not increase or decrease length of life, but it does decrease the quality in more cases than most think.

Ugh. Surprisingly, vets are NOT the end all be all of knowledge. Not even close. Most just want a quick buck.

And it doesn't just decrease sex drive (which honestly is a training issue, and not a difficult one at that) and it may not increase or decrease length of life, but it does decrease the quality in more cases than most think.
Why do you say it decreases quality? It's my opinion that a good horse is a good horse.
default_yes.gif

I am another who prefers to geld young. My favorite gelding, Seven, was gelded at 9 months of age, and while he is just one example, he is a horse who I am head over heels in love with; he is presence and personality plus. He didn't "loose his spark" because he was gelded, but rather he became a better horse.

Ionia_S_3079jpg.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to geld young again, and in-fact I plan to. And as a side note, I have found that halter horses gelded younger often need less neck-sweating than their senior counterparts.

Why do you say it decreases quality? It's my opinion that a good horse is a good horse.
default_yes.gif
The quality of life. Vets don't tell you the risks involved, and I'm not just talking about surgical risks. There ARE things that are more likely to happen in younger neuters. Things way worse than having to keep an animal separated for a few months while he matures.

Been gelding colts for fifty years (not me, personally, you understand, a Vet!!) and, although I know this is tempting fate, I have yet to lose one. I have gelded colts and stallions of all ages and now prefer to geld at around 10-12 weeks old as it is the least risk/easiest recovery time, so best for the colt. Geldings, as I am sure we all now know, actually continue to grow longer than entires, but I have found the difference with Minis to be minimal (1/2 " would be unusual) so if you are not breeding against the limit it is not a problem.

I actually have met a number of human males who would benefit from castration, preferably at a young age so they cannot pass on their genes- but that is my personal opinion.........

I find geldings to be just slightly nicer versions of their entire brothers- DC was an insufferable colt and is still totally himself, but is just bearable, now (and I still love him).

The very fact that gelding, once the "art form" had become universally known, spread like wildfire, speaks for itself against those who would have you believe that a fieid full of stallions is easy to handle....actually, I do not beleive that anyone in their right mind, (outside of the Muslim world which precludes any sort of castration in spite of being one of the longest users of eunuchs) would actually think keeping a field full of stallions is easy or beneficial, and I speak as someone who keeps a field full of stallions (thorugh the winter and for a given value of "full"!!)

I prefer gelding at a young age. I've gelded two males; one a four year old and the other a yearling. There was no change in attitude in the two and I didn't expect it because they both had the same sire; and therefore half of the same genes.

I would not hesitate gelding young. I remember when we had our last three foals and I was hoping for colts; so that I could stop the family tree then and there. I ended up with three fillies...

I'd rather own a gelding over a mare any day.

I'm a member of the Barney Fife school of thought - "Nip it, nip it in the bud"!

My preference is the spring after they are born, but with the last two we waited past that because the inguinal ring was more open than the vet liked when I was ready. if the ring is not firmly closed, you do run the risk of a colt herniating gut through the ring. of course, you also risk that if you don't geld and it doesn't close, and a horse strains himself while breeding...so nothing like listening to your vet in each individual case. And now with only geldings and mares, everybody can be together without worrying us.

As a vet, I have no problems gelding a horse at 3-6 months. I prefer gelding them while nursing on the dam as they have less swelling, mom is there to comfort and reduce stress and a host of other benefits. My own warm blood was gelded at 4 months 17 yrs ago. I have multiple (AMHR) show geldings gelded at 4 months.

For those of you worried about what it will "do to their attitude" It has been proven that early weaning is more detrimental than early gelding!

You guys don't get it. Early gelding DOES cause issues. The growth hormones needed are not present, and despite what a vet might tell you, is bad bad bad. I am NOT against gelding. I AM against pediatric spay/neuter of any species.

And yes, I have met some human males that would have benefited from castration. But the doctor would have put them on a hormone supplement if the surgery was done during a time of growth.

Exactly what issues? I am with the vet (oh yea, my vet at that) I would have mine gelded as soon as the vet thought best. I have seen several gelded early and have done fine, so I would like to know what issues your talking about and please be specific. I might not know what I am looking to be wrong. I guess I am not that well educated. As for dogs, 6 month birthday present for most of mine, one I did wait longer so she would weight at least 4 lbs. But I will never have an intact dog, research does prove that intact dogs are more prone to cancer of the reproductive organs which leads to a greater risk of death than the anesthisia used to spay or neuter them.

But I will never have an intact dog, research does prove that intact dogs are more prone to cancer of the reproductive organs which leads to a greater risk of death than the anesthisia used to spay or neuter them.
Like I said in my first post, I'm not sure of the issues in horses. However, how can removing hormones that are essential for growth during a time when growing is so important not cause issues?

As for dogs, the risks of cancer is SO small, and actually there is more risk being put under. I have a few links about pros and cons of spay neuter of dogs if you would like them, I would be more than happy to share
default_smile.png

You must surely be aware that geldings do actually grow longer than entires? The hormone in entires closes the growth plates in the legs earlier than in geldings, thus there are absolutely NO growth issues with gelding young. As has been said, it is kinder and better to geld on the mare if possible.

I am not sure what "issues" you have seen but I can assure you they are not commonplace.

You must surely be aware that geldings do actually grow longer than entires? The hormone in entires closes the growth plates in the legs earlier than in geldings, thus there are absolutely NO growth issues with gelding young. As has been said, it is kinder and better to geld on the mare if possible.

I am not sure what "issues" you have seen but I can assure you they are not commonplace.
Yes I am aware. Leaving the growth plate open causes them to grow taller, therefore changing how they were meant to grow. If you can't see how that can and will cause issues then I won't be able to change your mind.

I just had my little bloke gelded three days before his 2nd birthday..... Happy Birthday Fooey.

His testicles were really big. The vet said he was bigger than many full sized horses she has gelded.

I WAS SO PROUD.
default_firstprize.gif
default_thumbup.gif
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back