Gelding acting like stud

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 3 yr old gelding at an auction that was gelded in June 05. The seller was a very trustworthy man who was selling a 8 horse mini hitch. The gelding has been with me for over a week now.

The gelding is dominant and fighting with my QH mare across the fence line, kicking and rearing at her. He's in paddock with two mini mares and pushes them around too.

I realize that there is an adjustment period for everyone but it appears to get more vicious each day instead of settling. The two mini mares will get out of his way but I'm hoping I don't have to go on throwing hay in different corners of the paddock forever.

Occassionally, all the mini's will share hay in Munchkin Motel (shelter) but the gelding is always shoving the mares around. They are individually stalled nightly.

Is he behaving this way because he has only been gelded for 5 months plus the fact that he's settling in or do I have a horse that possibly won't settle in?? His behaviour otherwise is very good, doesn't lash out at us or anything like that. He's actually a very well mannered horse.

Is it too soon to worry?

Much too soon to worry- I would contact the previous owner and ask for the Vets name, then have a word with him, though, just to get your bases covered. I would also get him out from the mares and away from all contact with the QH. My young stallion would be OK with the mares, gelded or not, but intolerant of mares on the other side of the fence (He thinks they should all be in with him) My old stallion would be awful with the mares, gelded or not, and I'm afraid a bad mannered stallion (with mares not people) will not change because he has been gelded. He needs all the hormones out of his system then he needs a week in rehab- my ladies would sort him out in two shakes, and he would not try any pushing around again- he needs a few manners taught but whilst he is still in "stallion" mode it would not be fair. You also need to know what he did before you had him. If he was a work horse who happened to still for some crazy reason still entire, he just thinks he's died and gone to heaven- he has not noticed he's been gelded and is trying to make up for lost time. If he was actually a working stallion, then he needs to learn some manners in the field!! I know a lot here do, but I never have geldings out with mares, bred or not. It's just not something I do.

Thanks, Rabbitsfizz.
smile.gif

I also did a search on the forum and it sounds as though I just need to give him more time to adjust to his new surroundings. My shetland was done at a very early age so I didn't notice any change in him at all. He's still a fiery ball of energy at 13.
wacko.gif

Latest posts

Back