Gay Marriage Amendment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
I'm not going to try and talk anyone into voting one way or the other. We all have our own opinions. For what it's worth, I am in favor of gay marriage.

Just wanted to point out that the wording on some of the ballots for those of you who will see this is confusing. My parents and I are all three in favor of gay marriage, but I am the only one of us who voted according to how she feels because my parents got confused. Also, they said the Republican ballot said vote "NO" and we didn't think the republican party in VA was behind gay marriage (? my parents could be confused on what the sample ballot really said -- though I voted for Republican candidates, I also didn't think the party in VA was for gay marriage ?).

For what it is worth, here is how the one in VA is worded. A "NO" vote is a vote in FAVOR of gay marriage.

---------------------

Shall Article I (the Bill of Rights) of the Constitution of Virginia be amended to state:

“That only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this Commonwealth and its political subdivisions. This Commonwealth and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage. Nor shall this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions create or recognize another union, partnership, or other legal status to which is assigned the rights, benefits, obligations, qualities, or effects of marriage.�

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for this reminder. READ the ballot carefully and better yet, in the weeks leading up to elections, research these measures and amendments before making your decision.

I am also in favor of gay marriage, and will vote accordingly when it is on the ballot. There are so many more important issues before us, I feel it's ridiculous to contest this right, it shouldn't even be a question if you ask me, but since it is, I will cast my votes in favor.

Liz M.

To me, when I read the wording, I was ticked off because I thought a lot of people would mis-read it then vote a way they didn't intend. Then talking ot my parents and hearing how they'd voted -- I thought I'd gotten it wrong so I looked up the ballot on line to re-read it. And, my parents are SMART people. My dad's actually one of the smartest people I know, yet they misunderstood. I read a sample ballot, so I knew what was going on, but if I hadn't then you do sometimes feel pressured to "hurry up" at the booth (though you should for sure take your time).

On our ballot, this question was the only one important to me. The others were dealing with some issues I consider minor including issuing a bond. Of course, though, the canditates are important and it is CLOSE in VA.

Okay

The way they have it posted for voting is no if you are for gay getting married or no if you are against gay getting married. I hate when they word it to mess with our heads.

thanks melissa

I am voting for the admendment because the forefathers did not envision in my opinion marriage in this manner.

Also most gays interviewed give the reason as insurance and inheritance, you can cure that with civil unions. I want marriage to stay the way it was meant, if gays want a sactioned relationship, let them think of a new name and have the country vote.

Every state except one that has had this up for vote passed the ban on gay marriage except Mass. if I remember. It will be banned in VA and TN to according to poles, even Washington, Oregon, and CA are banning gay marriage according to polls...well washington already did. Oh and arizona is banning it according to polls so far.

1 win for moral dignity and the family unit, many more to go

I will leave my opinion at that, I can get into repentance and the deifintion and why you cant be religious and gay because of that word...hence the phrase living in sin

I am voting for the admendment because the forefathers did not envision in my opinion marriage in this manner.

The forefathers probably also did not envision the horseless carriage, indoor plumbing and satellite TV -- all of which I personally appreciate.

Everyone has a right to their opinion.

I believe in a loving God and that gay people are entitled to the same rights and privileges as straight people.

Also, I know that I didn't choose to be straight -- just as they didn't choose to be gay.

My point was really just to read the ballot carefully as it is worded in a way that may confuse some people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed and disagree at the same time. Both an ex GF and my sis were gay, by choice both said, now they are straight again.

I agree gays need same rights and privledges, it garunteed, but since marriage is a privledge and privledges have to be granted by the state, and the state DOES the people's bidding, and the people bid not to allow, thats the way of the land

Agreed and disagree at the same time. Both an ex GF and my sis were gay, by choice both said, now they are straight again.

I agree gays need same rights and privledges, it garunteed, but since marriage is a privledge and privledges have to be granted by the state, and the state DOES the people's bidding, and the people bid not to allow, thats the way of the land
Ahem, not to nit pick, but that first statement probably means they were mearly curious or bi. Nothing wrong with either, but most legitimately homosexual people (ie, those who maintain relationships that are same sex and aren't in it for shock value, curiosity, or rebellion) didn't choose. They just are. Same as you and I.

Marriage is, sorry to say it, a contract. A legally binding contract between two parties. It is SOCIETY that had added the trappings of religous or sentimental attachments. For many generations marriage was (and still is in places) contracted by the parents regardless of love. This ammendment, to my knowledge, doesn't simply affect gays. I live with my boyfriend. We plan on getting married, but not at this exact second. If his job allowed him to claim me for benifits (say health insurance which I don't have as many others uninsured in this Great Country) this ammendment could affect that because it would "have any rights or responsibilities of marriage". That, to me, now makes for a nasty contradiction that I consider unconstitutional because it goes directly against my constitutionally sanctioned right to the "pursuit of happiness". It just sounds better to try to deny gays and slip this one under the wire while no one's looking
default_wacko.png
:

Also most gays interviewed give the reason as insurance and inheritance, you can cure that with civil unions. I want marriage to stay the way it was meant, if gays want a sactioned relationship, let them think of a new name and have the country vote.

Every state except one that has had this up for vote passed the ban on gay marriage except Mass. if I remember. It will be banned in VA and TN to according to poles, even Washington, Oregon, and CA are banning gay marriage according to polls...well washington already did. Oh and arizona is banning it according to polls so far.

1 win for moral dignity and the family unit, many more to go

I will leave my opinion at that, I can get into repentance and the deifintion and why you cant be religious and gay because of that word...hence the phrase living in sin
Jill did not post this information to start a debate -or for opinions-; she posted it to clear up confusion!!!! Sorry if I'm speaking for you, Jill.

Jill did not post this information to start a debate -or for opinions-; she posted it to clear up confusion!!!! Sorry if I'm speaking for you, Jill.
I agree - she posted to say...read carefully...your government is trying to mislead you in the voting process!

Getting back on topic, that bill is very misleading and if you didnt really understand that a NO vote means that you are FOR gay marriage, I think that a lot of votes will be "wrong"...That happens I think many times when people dont comprehend what they are voting on...and bills pass or fail based on these "assumptions". I wish the bills were more "in plain english" instead of all the legalize they have to use. I read the "opinions" for and against the bills to help me understand some of them and than make my own judgement based on what I have read.

(I have NO comment on littledonkeys.com's statements....
default_shutup.gif
: )

“That only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this Commonwealth and its political subdivisions. This Commonwealth and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage. Nor shall this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions create or recognize another union, partnership, or other legal status to which is assigned the rights, benefits, obligations, qualities, or effects of marriage.�
Final Result - YES... the amendment was passed in Virginia.

Yes, it did pass [SIZE=8pt](unfortunately)[/SIZE].

As the years go by, I am sure, more and more people who despise the "choice" gay people make may sing a different tune as some of them find out their siblings, their children or their grand children are actually gay :eek:

Of course, as some pointed out, I didn't start this to start a debate but talking with my parents, who are smart people, and seeing we didn't read the questing the same way prompted me to point out the wording IS confusing to some people.

The churches in our area in Virginia encouraged their members to vote. I do feel the majority of the voters knew what they were voting for or against. As I read it, I understood what it meant. It seemed to be clearer to me than others.

I usually find all the voting issues worded in a way that is hard to understand, so I do look at sample ballots available on the internet and in the newspapers long before I vote. And if I have questions I ask long before the day to vote. Voting is the end result. But like anything worth our time, a lot of study is put into it before the final decision is made. Voting should not just be walking in the booth and figuring it out there.

How can you find out what states voted what?

realclearpolitics.com

TN passed it with a huge margin...I knew it would arizona is the only one I have head not pass it. Last I check 72% of the country was against gay marriage.

Sorry I wasnt trying to start a debate....lol

Our admendment in TN was simple to read and simple to vote on, there didnt seem to be any confusing language

Latest posts

Back